Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that opening weekend sales for the brand-new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus have exceeded thirteen million units, breaking the previous record of ten million units sold by the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus last year.

iPhone-6s-main-800x337.jpg

"Sales for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus have been phenomenal, blowing past any previous first weekend sales results in Apple's history," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "Customers' feedback is incredible and they are loving 3D Touch and Live Photos, and we can't wait to bring iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus to customers in even more countries on October 9."
The company claims, as with previous years, that demand for the new smartphones is at an all-time high, and confirmed that the new iPhones will be coming to 40 additional countries beginning on October 9, including Italy, Mexico, Russia, Spain and Taiwan.

- October 9: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Maldives, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan

- October 10: Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates

- October 16: India, Malaysia, Turkey

The company has stated it plans to have the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus in over 130 countries by the end of the year.

MacRumors has made a few hands-on videos showcasing some of the newer and upgraded iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus features, including Live Photos, 3D Touch, and Touch ID. As more and more customers received their orders over the weekend, the first impressions of the new devices began to roll out, leading to a large consensus of a noticeably faster experience that feels largely different than most "S" generation iPhones.

Article Link: iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Sales Top Thirteen Million in Launch Weekend

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
“iPhone 6s not sold out in the first ___ hours, including China?? The demand is clearly much lower than expected! The glory of the iPhone is gone. Samsung beat Apple. Apple is doomed, as was correctly predicted.”

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So the quetion is, is the 13M a function of supply? Is Apple selling them as fast as they can make them? Or is there slightly softer demand at launch?

Based on the website below , which tracks Apple Store shipping dates in major launch countries, the earliest ship date is 10/5, lots of 10/19, some 1-2 weeks and the 6S Plus is mostly showing 3-4 weeks out. I tried to reserve a 64GB space gray and only a handful of Apple stores were listed as being available to reserve. My state wasn't (and it has 5 Apple stores).

http://iphone-inventory.blogspot.com/2015/09/iphone-6s-pre-order-tracker.html

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
phones are now your go to computer. I dont see myself not upgrading every year as long as my career continues.

And IMO apple provides the best & most hassle free phone. Glad to see the upward movement in sales every year.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple® today announced it has sold more than 13 million new iPhone® 6s and iPhone 6s Plus models, a new record, just three days after launch

What does this mean? I'm assuming the 13M would have to include anyone that pre-ordered and received their phone. So is it really three days?

Reactions: Shanpdx

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Impressive. I find it annoying that the only thing I actually want from the 6s over my current 6+ is the 2gb of ram which Apple should have included last year. Frankly, I dont feel like supporting their actions by hoping over to the 6s... I wonder how much real world faster the 6s would be over the 6 if they both had 2gb ram...

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
What does this mean? I'm assuming the 13M would have to include anyone that pre-ordered and received their phone. So is it really three days?
Those are included (and probably make up the bulk of the total)
Some pre-orders were cancelled and would not count toward the 13M.

Between 9/12 and 9/24 the official sales count was 0.0

600px-T2_1501.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So according to Apple sales completed on the Saturday will be included in Q4 results and sales completed on Sunday will be included in Q1 2016 results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.