Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safariicon.jpg
Ahead of the official launch of OS X El Capitan, Apple's newest operating system, Apple today released Safari 9.0 for OS X Yosemite users. According to Apple, today's update is recommended for all people running OS X Yosemite and includes improvements to privacy, compatibility, and security.

The update adds El Capitan-centric features including a new mute audio feature for Safari tabs and additional viewing options for Safari Reader. Pinned Sites, a major Safari addition in OS X El Capitan, is not included.
This update:

- Adds controls to mute audio in Safari tabs
- Adds additional viewing options for Safari Reader
- Improves website AutoFill compatibility
Many OS X Yosemite users will be upgrading to OS X El Capitan in the next few hours, following its official public release. It is not clear when Apple plans to debut the software, but the company has promised that it's coming on September 30.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 9 for OS X Yosemite and Mavericks Users

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
anyone know any difference between this and the El Capitan Safari release? other than being used on older OS X?

i might update...our IT teams says no Mac updates to El Capitan just yet

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
anyone know any difference between this and the El Capitan Safari release? other than being used on older OS X?

i might update...our IT teams says no Mac updates to El Capitan just yet
It's likely just the lack of Metal support, and other little things like that. Surprised the mute function carried over.

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
The only thing I need is pinning sites, and it's not available wit this version of Safari on Yosemite :(

PS: and chill out on the El Cap comments... It'll come at some point.

Reactions: Luap

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Does it fix KEYCHAIN ? I notice a huge improvement on my iPhone. Keychain passwords actually works now. But not so much on my MacBook

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
The only thing I need is pinning sites, and it's not available wit this version of Safari on Yosemite :(

PS: and chill out on the El Cap comments... It'll come at some point.

rats. I was hoping most for the Pinning of Tabs. I must have missed that part in the article about it or just thought it was included.

ALSO, where can I get this Download? I don't see an update for it

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Will Safari 9.0 run on OS X 10.9.5? I downloaded Mavericks (edit, meant to say Yosemite, not Mavericks) last night to get the final version but did not yet install it as I want to verify crucial workflow software compatibility before upgrading (same with El Capitan). However, now App Store update offers me Safari 9.0 though the system is still running 10.9.5. I wonder if it would run or would trying to install it yield a "can't install until you upgrade to..." message? Anyone tried 9.0 on 10.9.5?

Edit: I've since given it a go on 10.9.5. It does work fine but it's newer features are not available unless OS X is upgraded. Apparently 10.9.5 gets security features upgrades and that's all.

Last edited:

slowsafari

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2015
Will Safari 9.0 run on OS X 10.9.5? I downloaded Mavericks last night to get the final version but did not yet install it as I want to verify crucial workflow software compatibility before upgrading (same with El Capitan). However, now App Store update offers me Safari 9.0 though the system is still running 10.9.5. I wonder if it would run or would trying to install it yield a "can't install until you upgrade to..." message? Anyone tried 9.0 on 10.9.5?
I installed it few minutes ago, with no Problems. But there are 0 new features. It's only security, stability, ...

Version 9.0 (9537.86.1.56.2)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.