Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today released an update for Microsoft Office for Mac 2011, which fixes a significant Outlook bug that Office users ran into after upgrading to OS X El Capitan. After installing the new Apple operating system, many Outlook 2011 users found themselves unable to access their mail due to a syncing issue that caused the app to hang whenever it attempted to access the server.

Users were seeing a spinning Wait cursor whenever a sync was attempted and Outlook would become unresponsive, making it impossible to fetch new emails. The new 14.5.6 update should fix this problem for Outlook users who have installed OS X El Capitan and is a much better fix than Microsoft's previous workaround, which simply suggested users run OS X Yosemite.

office_mac_2011_boxes-500x318.jpg

Though Microsoft has fixed one major bug OS X El Capitan users are running into, there are still problems with Office 2016. Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint 2016 are crashing for many users, preventing them from being used with OS X El Capitan.

Microsoft has said that it is working on a fix for Office 2016, but it has not given a timeline for when users can expect the issues to be solved.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Office for Mac 2011 Update to Fix Outlook El Capitan Bug

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Fixing the five year old software before you fix the current software? Well, that's just genius. :confused:

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
people that are on capital and update 2011 please report back and let us know if this solves the issue!

Ki&Mi

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
Greeting All, Mac Office 14.5.6 - just updated, works well on El Capitan. All good so far.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Well, Office 2011 on ElCap now doesn't hang when downloading/syncing, but it seems to keep a 'download' process running in the status window all the time now even after it seems to have synced the whole mailbox. Have to do some more testing...

DragoniteD

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
Bigger news, Office 2016 is available for Home Use Program for $9.95 starting today...

I have an even bigger news: iWork is free for both home & business use with great time machine feature (can go back to any previous saved version) since 2 years ago

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Fixing the five year old software before you fix the current software? Well, that's just genius. :confused:
So if they would have fixed new software first then people could have said they were forcing them to upgrade.

Grid

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
It is all fixed for me and seems rock solid now. Can't believe my stupidity in installing a new OS without checking compatibility of critical software. It was good of MS to fix this so quickly in software that is not the current version. I guess they had to take it seriously since so many of us are forced to use Outlook 2011 because we are on Exchange Server 2007. I don't say this often, but thanks Microsoft! Should have been done while El Cap was in beta but much better late than never.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.