Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pangu-Jailbreak-iOS-9-250x206.jpg
Chinese team Pangu today released the first untethered jailbreak for iOS 9 devices, including the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

The jailbreak tool is currently available for Windows only, but an OS X version will likely be available for Mac users in the future.

Pangu is compatible with all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models on iOS 9 - iOS 9.0.2:

iPhone 4S, 5/5c/5s, 6/6 Plus, 6s/6s Plus
iPad 2/3/4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad mini, iPad mini 2/3/4
iPod touch (fifth and sixth generations)

Jailbreaking enables iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users to install unapproved third-party apps, tweaks, mods, custom themes, utilities and other content -- called "packages" -- from Cydia, an unofficial App Store for jailbroken devices.

Jailbreaking has been around since the early days of iPhone OS 1.0, years before the software was renamed iOS, allowing users to have features such as custom wallpapers, quick reply and Notification Center widgets long before Apple made those official.

As noted by iPhone Hacks, Cydia Substrate, an underlying framework for jailbreak tweaks, now supports iOS 9. Cydia developers will be required to update their jailbreak tweaks for compatibility with iOS 9 or later. The blog has shared a running list of iOS 9 compatible jailbreak tweaks.

ios-9-cydia-substrate.jpg

While jailbreaking allows users to further customize and enhance their iOS devices beyond the limits that Apple imposes, modifying your device's software violates your End User License Agreement (EULA) and voids your warranties -- although the device can generally be restored to factory default settings through iTunes.

It is highly recommended that you back up your data through iTunes before attempting to jailbreak your device, as you may encounter various issues or errors that could result in data loss or corruption. Pangu offers step-by-step instructions on how to use the iOS 9 untethered jailbreak on its website. Use the jailbreak at your own risk.

Pangu also has untethered jailbreak tools available for iOS 8 and iOS 7.

Article Link: iOS 9 Untethered Jailbreak Released for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Believe it or not, they still do.

I honestly don't get it, at this point in time. With all of the hacks, exploits, etc. out there, and the fact that Android software and hardware has evolved to the point where it's a viable option for someone who wants a higher level of customization.

To each his own, I suppose. But I would never jailbreak iOS anymore.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
People still jailbreak?

Of course, there are so many things you can do that Apple don't allow without a jailbreak.

Here are some:

- Changing font
- Tethering without carrier limits
- Theming
- f.lux (no, that GammaThingy is not a true copy)
- Swiping along the keyboard to move the cursor without needing an iPad or 6S
- Camera tweaks to customize the camera functionality
- Removing annoyances
- Scrobbling Apple Music tracks and Beats 1 in the background seamlessly

etc

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I honestly don't get it, at this point in time. With all of the hacks, exploits, etc. out there, and the fact that Android software and hardware has evolved to the point where it's a viable option for someone who wants a higher level of customization.

To each his own, I suppose. But I would never jailbreak iOS anymore.

I don't get it etheir. Seems to me the security risks outweigh any benefit at this point.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Of course, there are so many things you can do that Apple don't allow without a jailbreak.

Here are some:

- Changing font
- Tethering without carrier limits
- Theming
- f.lux (no, that GammaThingy is not a true copy)
- Swiping along the keyboard to move the cursor without needing an iPad or 6S
- Camera tweaks to customize the camera functionality
- Removing annoyances
- Scrobbling Apple Music tracks and Beats 1 in the background seamlessly

etc
Is the second item on your list legal?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Now your able to side load applications ( via Xcode) in iOS9, I don't see much value in jail breaking these days.
You could always do that. The biggest change with iOS 9 is that now you don't need a developer account.

Is there an App Store sort of thing taking advantage of this? Someplace where iOS developers can upload packages that they want to distribute not via the official iOS App Store, and users just click on a buy/download button and it automatically downloads it to their iOS device (via a Mac with Xcode).

... I suppose a major limitation might be the requirement to have a Mac with Xcode. Old Macs won't work. PCs won't work.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Is the second item on your list legal?

Of course it's legal. My carrier gives me a set amount of data a month, after that they throttle to low speeds, but you can still use the Internet. However, after throttling, they don't allow tethering, so you can only use that on the iPhone. MiWi and other get rid of that limitation.

Reactions: jw2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.