Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its three iWork apps for the Mac, adding new features and OS X El Capitan support to Keynote, Numbers, and Pages. All three apps now support the new Split View multitasking feature in OS X El Capitan, allowing them to be used side-by-side with another app while in fullscreen mode.

There are also new Force Touch gestures in each of the apps, which work with the new Force Touch Magic Trackpad and the trackpad in the Retina MacBook Pro and the 12-inch MacBook. In all three of the apps, a Force click on an image will allow them to be edited, and this Force gesture has built-in haptic feedback.

iworkiosapp.jpg

Keynote and Pages have gained support for opening presentations and documents from 2006 and 2008 versions of the software, while Numbers is now able to open Numbers '08 spreadsheets. Shared Pages, Keynote, and Numbers documents can now be previewed on iOS and Android browsers.

Apple has also updated its iWork apps for iOS, notably adding split-screen multitasking support on the iPad and support for 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. On the iPad, the three apps have also gained new Multi-Touch gestures for selecting text, a new Shortcut Bar that provides quick access to formatting tools, and new keyboard shortcuts when connected to a wireless keyboard.

Each of the iWork apps has also received a long list of other minor feature improvements and updates that are available in both the iOS and Mac versions of the software. A full list of the improvements can be found on Apple's dedicated Pages, Numbers, and Keynote website.

Apple's line of iWork apps are free to users who have recently purchased a new Mac or iOS device. Otherwise, each iWork app for Mac is available for $19.99 while each iWork app for iOS is available for $9.99.

Pages for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Keynote for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Numbers for Mac - [Mac App Store]

Pages for iOS - [App Store]
Keynote for iOS - [App Store]
Numbers for iOS - [App Store]

Update: Apple has also removed the "beta" label from its iWork for iCloud apps.

Article Link: Apple Updates iWork Mac and iOS Apps With Support for OS X El Capitan and iOS 9

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Until they include an option to get rid of the sidebar and also an option to restore the functionality of the top bar, I’ll stick with iWork ’09. Though, I’m considering buying Microsoft Office 2016 soon, especially since it received an update which solved a lot of issues. I love iWork, but Microsoft Office is the standard productivity suite, and when you need to send documents, you’re usually required to send Microsoft Office documents. iWork can convert documents to Microsoft Office format, but formatting is often lost, and effects are often lost from Keynote Presentations. It can also take a while to convert a Keynote presentation to Quicktime, depending on how many slides there are. It’s better to start with Office format than to convert to it, or in the case of Keynote, to Quicktime.

Reactions: Altis and Shirasaki

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Thank goodness they reintroduced the comments sidebar. Not sure what they were thinking with the rollover UI. Awful.

Until they include an option to get rid of the sidebar and also an option to restore the functionality of the top bar, I’ll stick with iWork ’09. Though, I’m considering buying Microsoft Office 2016 soon, especially since it received an update which solved a lot of issues.

I completely agree about the iWork sidebar, but the ribbon in Word is even worse, IMO. No customization so I have to move back and forth between two tabs to use the only 3 functions I use. Also Word's performance is a lot worse.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Why? I didn't know there was a race to see who could update their app first.

Maybe because Apple's own applications should support the new functionality of their operating system before one of their competitors do. With how stagnant iWork has been in the past 2+ years I wouldn't be surprised to see this fade away in the coming years.

rvinny

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
iWork still matters. I'm happy with any updates they provide. It means it's not dead yet.

Office for Mac 2016 has been nothing but trouble for me since upgrading to El Cap. Word crashes constantly. Excel? let's just say I see "...calculating" *A LOT*. The 700+GB updates this week did NADA. Early beta was great so not sure what is going on.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
And STILL no support for linked text boxes? Seriously, how can Apple go... two years...?... without re-adding this feature again. Crazy!
There have been gradual improvements in the usability of Pages, but it's still not nearly as functional as Pages '09 was. Linked text boxes is a critical function they should bring back. Creating multi-page documents is a royal pain without it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.