Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced YouTube Red, a new subscription service that provides unlimited ad-free access to YouTube videos for $9.99 per month on Android, desktop and the mobile web, and $12.99 per month on iOS due to Apple's in-app purchase tax (via TechCrunch). The membership also includes several other benefits.

YouTube_Red.jpg

YouTube Red features the option to save videos for offline playback and to play videos in the background on smartphones and tablets. In early 2016, the subscription service will also take on Netflix by introducing member-only access to Original series and movies by some of YouTube's most popular creators.

YouTube Red launches in the U.S. on October 28, and will expand to other major markets over the course of the next year. The service works across all devices and anywhere you can sign into YouTube, including its new Gaming and Family apps. A free 14-day trial will be available in the U.S., which can be extended to 30 days with a credit card.

Google has also bundled a Play Music subscription into YouTube Red on iOS and Android, providing access to both services for a combined $9.99 or $12.99 monthly payment. YouTube Red's unlimited access to both streaming music, videos and more makes it an attractive competitor alongside rivals like Apple Music and Spotify.

The Verge published an exclusive in-depth article and hands-on video about YouTube Red:

Google also announced YouTube Music, an all-new app for discovering, watching and listening to music videos. The app is coming soon in the U.S., followed by additional countries in 2016. YouTube Red members gain additional features such as no ads and other background and offline member benefits.

The Verge also published an exclusive hands-on video for YouTube Music:

YouTube will continue to be available in its traditional ad-supported format on the web and mobile devices. Google says today's ad-supported experience will not change for users who aren't interested in paying, while the majority of revenue collected from YouTube Red will be distributed to partners.

Article Link: 'YouTube Red' Ad-Free Subscription Service Launches in U.S. October 28

westonm

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
I would love an ad-free YouTube subscription, if it were closer to $1.99 per month. One wonders what the economics of the situation are. I can't imagine YouTube (and it's associated content creators) are making $9.99 per month off of me as it stands...

I feel as if I'm being "threatened" with ads, rather than being offered an equitable opt-out. "Pay this inflated price or you'll have to spend part of your life watching Colgate commercials!"

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Just one more thing to subscribe to and pay monthly? Pass. All these subscriptions are going to start adding up to more than a cable bill.

And with a dozen different apps to boot.

Apple needs to add the media searching feature/API that tvOS has to iOS. If I can search across iTunes, Hulu, NetFlix, HBO, etc. on my Apple TV, why not on iOS which has those same apps?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
And with a dozen different apps to boot.

Apple needs to add the media searching feature/API that tvOS has to iOS. If I can search across iTunes, Hulu, NetFlix, HBO, etc. on my Apple TV, why not on iOS which has those same apps?

iOS 10 feature methinks...

$10 per month? Are they crazy? Are they promising any original content?
The sad part is, they are going to up the ante on ads to get you to switch.

That's fine, my adblocker (uBlock) does a great job of blocking literally hundreds of ads on those...less than legit streaming websites, so it can handle YT easily.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
A "tax" for iOS? Seriously Google that is so thinly veiled. I don't use Youtube directly now, and certainly won't even think of using it in the future. Plus your app for the ATV is horrible and I hid it a long time ago. Does the app use flash too. lol.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
So here we are: a service that is filled to the brim with ads decides to offer an ad-free alternative and people complain. This is exactly what web hosts are worried about when advertising revenue diminishes and people say they don’t like ads. This seems like a reasonable price to me, considering what you pay for Apple Music, plus the fact that it costs a lot more bandwidth to stream HD (and even 4K) video. Add to that TV programmes and you have a reasonable price, in my opinion.

A "tax" for iOS? Seriously Google that is so thinly veiled.
I agree with Google on this one. Apple is taking a 30% cut even though the app itself is free and Google is paying for all the bandwidth while not getting any advertising revenue from users who pay for the programme. This way they make it clear to the user that Apple is taking 30%. Having YouTube in the App Store is good for Apple too.

4TheLoveOfGadgets

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
Making audio play in the background a monthly paid feature is pretty ridiculous...
Yes it would be but, including an Ad Free Video Service, Full Access to Google Play Music and audio play in background makes Apple Music look pretty pitiful now for the same price.

Reactions: BlacMac

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Pill up yet another $/month service.
I'm sure that some people have car-payment like monthly cost for apps and on-line services.
I have a mortgage, but that gives me a house that appreciates.
I have a gas bill, but that is consumption based and therefore variable.
I have no car, so no car payment, fuel or insurance cost, but I do use other means like the bus or uber which again is consumption based and therefore variable.
I have comcrap for my internet service provider which is subscription based since its a consistent bill regardless of my usage or their being up (arg!)
I have ATT for my phone service which is subscription based since its a consistent bill regardless of my usage (at least for text and voice, and with 30gig, essentially the same for data)
I have netflix which is subscription based since its a consistent bill regardless of my usage
My electric, sewer, trash, and water is built into the HOA fees which does vary based on the consumption of the entire population of the HOs usage so not really a subscription.

So just for my subscription services (ATT, comcrap, and netflix), all together for a family of 4, I am under $300. So I guess that is equal to a small or midsize car payment.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.