Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-6s-Colors-250x345.jpg
During today's fourth quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company saw its highest rate of Android "switchers" Apple had ever measured in 4Q 2015.

According to Cook, 30 percent of customers who purchased an iPhone were upgrading from an Android-based smartphone, the largest number of switchers it had seen in the three years since it started measuring switching rates. "It's a huge number and we're very proud of it," said Cook.

Based on the growing number of Android users switching to an iPhone along with the number of people who have not yet upgraded, the company believes iPhone sales during the first quarter of fiscal 2016 will be strong.

Only one third of Apple customers have upgraded to an iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, or 6s Plus, leaving two thirds of the company's customer base using older iPhones and ripe for a new iPhone.

For the past several quarters, Tim Cook has commented on the growing rate of Android switchers, noting earlier this year that the debut of the larger-screened iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which better compete with larger-screened Android phones, had spurred high numbers of Android switchers.

Over the course of the past year, Apple has pursued Android users aggressively. The company introduced a dedicated website for Android switchers in the fall of 2014, and with the launch of iOS 9 in September, it also introduced a new "Move to iOS" app to make it easier for Android customers to switch to an iPhone.

Apple has also introduced a trade-in program designed to lure Android users, allowing customers to exchange their Android devices for Apple gift cards that can be put towards the purchase of an iOS device.

Overall, Apple reported quarterly revenue of $51.5 billion and net profit of $11.1 billion, or $1.96 per diluted share. The company sold a total of 48.04 million iPhones, 9.88 million iPads, and 5.71 million Macs.

Update: Cook's comments actually included the qualifier that the 30-percent figure was out of those who were upgrading from another smartphone, whether it be an iPhone, and Android phone, or another platform. Since the base number does not include those customers who were new to smartphones, the share of total iPhone buyers who switched from Android would be somewhat less than 30 percent.

Article Link: 30% of iPhone Buyers in Q4 2015 Switched From an Android Smartphone [Updated]

tomifazzio

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2015
Cordoba, Argentina

iPhone-6s-Colors-250x345.jpg
During today's fourth quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company saw its highest rate of Android "switchers" Apple had ever measured in 4Q 2015.

According to Cook, 30 percent of customers who purchased an iPhone were upgrading from an Android-based smartphone, the largest number of switchers it had seen in the three years since it started measuring switching rates. "It's a huge number and we're very proud of it," said Cook.

Based on the growing number of Android users switching to an iPhone along with the number of people who have not yet upgraded, the company believes iPhone sales during the first quarter of fiscal 2016 will be strong.

Only one third of Apple customers have upgraded to an iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, or 6s Plus, leaving two thirds of the company's customer base using older iPhones and ripe for a new iPhone.

For the past several quarters, Tim Cook has commented on the growing rate of Android switchers, noting earlier this year that the debut of the larger-screened iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which better competes with larger-screened Android phones, had spurred high numbers of Android switchers.

Over the course of the past year, Apple has pursued Android users aggressively. The company introduced a dedicated website for Android switchers in the fall of 2014, and with the launch of iOS 9 in September, it also introduced a new "Move to iOS" app to make it easier for Android customers to switch to an iPhone.

Apple has also introduced a trade-in program designed to lure Android users, allowing customers to exchange their Android devices for Apple gift cards that can be put towards the purchase of an iOS device.

Overall, Apple reported quarterly revenue of $51.5 billion and net profit of $11.1 billion, or $1.96 per diluted share. The company sold a total of 48.04 million iPhones, 9.88 million Macs, and 5.71 Macs.

Article Link: 30% of iPhone Buyers in Q4 2015 Switched From an Android Smartphone
How do they measure that? Do they ask every customer? Is anyone aware of the method they use?

Reactions: BulkSlash

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I have used every iPhone since the 3g as well as multiple windows phones and multiple android phones. I can say without question my iPhone 6 is the best phone I have owned, and also that I can see in my everyday life that people are switching from android in droves. I go to Disney a lot, multiple times per year. Since they have the Disney app now there are massive amounts of people who you see using the app on a phone. I can say honestly that I barely see any android devices when I go now, whereas a few years ago it was closer to 50:50. In my opinion it is these young families that drive growth of these devices. The problem that Apple will have going forward is the same problem that Android has right now. There are becoming fewer and fewer compelling reasons to upgrade. I am not going to say that this is as good as it gets, however I do think that the screen size has been pushed as far as its going to go, services are all well and good but not a reason to upgrade and I think this is the brick wall that Android has hit lately

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Only 1/3 Apple customers? Maybe the WANT A SMALLER iPHONE?!

One of several possible reasons including:

1) Subsidized contracts going away.
2) Mature market.
3) "Good enough" factor.
4) Like you said, some people want a smaller phone, but not necessarily a smaller display.
5) Some people don't like the less than stellar 6/6s design and are hoping Jony makes a design comeback with the iPhone 7.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
The problem that Apple will have going forward is the same problem that Android has right now. There are becoming fewer and fewer compelling reasons to upgrade. I am not going to say that this is as good as it gets, however I do think that the screen size has been pushed as far as its going to go, services are all well and good but not a reason to upgrade and I think this is the brick wall that Android has hit lately
Very true. I personally see myself hanging on to my iPhone 6 beyond the regular two years; i'll probably switch to a prepaid carrier (or unbundled plan) to save subsidy, but I don't see myself upgrading unless the iPhone 7 is out of this world

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I have my two year old 5C and it's doing everything I need thank you very much. Maybe next year, but more likely it will be the one after before I'm looking. Not because I'm locked into a contract or anything, I own the phone and am on a month-by-month plan. It's a solid phone and I just don't feel a need to upgrade.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What I worry about, as an investor, are sales numbers for Q4 2017 and Q1 2018. The 6s is so good that I doubt many people will feel compelled to upgrade unless the 7s is just magic. Mark my words: The 6s is going to go down as one of the best iPhones of them all. People will be using this thing for many years. I think it will keep up better than any previous iPhone. It will probably see iOS 14, so at least one year better than the 4S which has gone from 5 to 9. Dare I say 15? And while I'm talking about it—will the numbers even go that high? Seems kinda ridiculous. iOS X 10.5 El Snow Leopardricks!

Reactions: FightTheFuture

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
"Only one third of Apple customers have upgraded to an iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, or 6s Plus, leaving two thirds of the company's customer base using older iPhones and ripe for a new iPhone."

Yep. We are waiting for new iPhone with a 4" screen in the latest top-of-the -line model. Not interested in a phablet.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Only 1/3 Apple customers? Maybe the WANT A SMALLER iPHONE?!
I do, thats one of the reasons i am sticking with my 5s.

The other reason is that the 6/6s just doesn't feel like a premium product, it feels more like an iPhone rip off. It looks and feels a bit cheap, not avery nice phone at all and not very desirable. I am not going to pay £539 for a 16gb phone that doesn't even look or feel top end quality, whereas the 5s just oozes quality with its glass and stainless steel construction, its still a beautiful phone and feels modern even though it is in its third year of production, and still pretty quick in use, never feels under powered.

I am hoping the 7 is a lot nicer to look at and has more of a premium build quality than the 6/6s. It's not all about power and gimmicky features, us non power users just want a nice phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.