Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

retina_macbook_elcap_roundup_header-250x116.jpg
A recent Consumer Reports survey shows that MacBooks continue to lead all notebooks in reliability and customer satisfaction, based on 58,000 subscribers who purchased laptops between 2010 and 2015.

ZDNet reports that almost 20% of the respondents experienced a breakdown in the first three years of using a notebook, but MacBooks had notably lower failure rates compared to various Windows-based notebooks from Acer, Lenovo, Samsung and other OEMs. MacBook Air had just a 7% estimated failure rate, while the MacBook Pro was slightly higher at 9%.
Apple, as in year's past, has the most reliable notebooks by far - a 10 percent breakdown rate in the first 3 years - with Samsung and Gateway distant seconds at 16 percent, and the rest of the industry - including Acer, Lenovo, Toshiba, HP, Dell and Asus, at 18-19 percent.

Windows machines used more than 20 hours a week - average for Windows systems - have a higher break rate. Apple users report using their machines an average of 23 hours a week, 15 percent more. More hours, fewer breakdowns, what's not to like?
The most reliable Windows-based notebooks in the survey were Gateway's NV (13% failure rate) and LT (14%); the Samsung ATIV Book (14%); Lenovo ThinkPads (15%); and the Dell XPS line (15%). HP's premium ENVY line was near the bottom, with a 20% failure rate, while Lenovo's Y Series had the highest failure rate at 23%.

When MacBooks do break, however, the survey found they are often more expensive to fix, which is why purchasing AppleCare is recommended. Apple provides 90 days of complimentary phone and online chat support that can be extended for a total of three years with an AppleCare Protection Plan for Macs at a cost of up to $349.

In terms of customer satisfaction, 71% of MacBook owners were "completely satisfied with system reliability," compared to "only 38% of Windows notebook owners."

The complete survey results are available at Consumer Reports for subscribers only.

Article Link: MacBooks Top Consumer Reports Survey in Reliability and Customer Satisfaction

Reactions: xerexes1

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Not hard give the god awful plastic laptops out there at the moment.

The nicest comparable laptop I've seen recently is hp's spectre edition which reminds me of the old razor thin vaios

Reactions: imageWIS

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It makes sense when you think that the Mac laptops are essentially sealed systems with most everything soldered to a tiny motherboard. There are also fewer connectors than on a Windows machine. Fewer exposed parts and fewer connections makes for a more reliable system -- and naturally also raises the cost of repair.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Brought a space grey model ~2 months ago. Use it mainly to code via Xcode. Only complaint I have is when on desk, the desk has to be near flat, else MacBook sits on less than four points of contact. It is an annoyance more so than a complaint. I'm buying a glass desk cover to solve issue.

Otherwise a great buy! I highly recommend to vast majority of people..well gamers may not apply.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
How can you be satisfied about a computer that overheats like a madman when doing anything remotely CPU heavy with a 480p camera and just one connector?

If you compare it to other ultra portable machines, sure, aluminium beats plastic, but as a product on it's own it's a long way from being any good.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
My 2015 MBA is my main machine. Reliable and fast. When I use it, I do not feel like I'm using a laptop, let alone one that is so light and portable. It sits on my desktop with a MacMini and a Dell Win 7 machine. The laptop is used all day (I work from home) the Mac is on for an extra screen and the Windows machine is off.
Yup, the article is correct. Apple laptops are by far superior to anything I have owned, and I've owned a lot of desktops and laptops.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Wow, that is an amazing difference and nice to know Apple (despite occasional design issues - remember the laptop anti glare coating coming off) really does take the extra effort to do better. I wouldn't not have expected such a difference.

The top performers in the PC world weren't too surprising except for the Gateway machines (didn't even know they were still around).

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It makes sense when you think that the Mac laptops are essentially sealed systems with most everything soldered to a tiny motherboard. There are also fewer connectors than on a Windows machine. Fewer exposed parts and fewer connections makes for a more reliable system -- and naturally also raises the cost of repair.

Not true at all, a large amount of Lenovo/HP flip laptops are practically impossible to service and have a crazy high failure rate. Poor thermal design and cheap components contributes to failures, not an easily serviceable laptop.

macbook_21

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2015
In yo' bizness
I have a 2008 macbook. It still runs very well. The fans come on more often than I'd like, which is at least likely partially due to the accumulation of dustballs inside the case. I'll get around to it, but a new battery and 6 gigs of ram have definitely brought performance back up to a high standard.

Reactions: d___d

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
How can you be satisfied about a computer that overheats like a madman when doing anything remotely CPU heavy with a 480p camera and just one connector?

If you compare it to other ultra portable machines, sure, aluminium beats plastic, but as a product on it's own it's a long way from being any good.

Overheats, or feels hot? There's a big difference. Aluminium displaces heat, so although it may feel hot, the internal components are comparatively cooler. I'd class overheating when a computer shuts down because the CPU reaches the TJ Max, or idles at a high temp.

For all the hate Macs get about heat (such as MBAs reaching ~100C when running graphical intensive stuff), Apple notebooks do have the best thermal design by far in my experience. The only serviced cooling systems I've seen on Macs have been on the 2011 15/17" Radeons.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Clearly this is more evidence that Apple is evil and totally controls and manipulates western media with propaganda.

(sorry... been in the forums too much lately) :eek:
Apple says to you, "Oh yeah? What are you going to do about it?"

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I suspect the reliability ratings would be quite different if some better commercial grade Windows notebooks i.e. the Elitebook, Latitude or Tecra lines were added to the mix. I'm sure HP sells a heck of a lot more Elitebook branded units than Envys too.

Possibly.

However, it is reported that Apple has more than 90% marketshare of the >$1000 PC market, so I doubt the other vendors ship enough of their high-end models to make much of a difference, statistically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.