Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-trio1-250x237.jpg
Apple supplier Japan Display plans to begin mass production of OLED displays for future iPhones in spring 2018, according to Japanese website Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun [Google Translate] (via GforGames).

Japan Display executives are reportedly in negotiations with Apple about securing OLED orders for future iPhones, in an effort to compete with existing OLED panel suppliers Samsung Electronics and LG Display.

Japan Display, a joint venture formed in 2012 by Hitachi, Sony and Toshiba, is one of two major LCD display suppliers for current iPhones alongside rival Japanese company Sharp. Apple has used LCD panels for iPhones since the original model launched in 2007.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported last month that iPhones are unlikely to have OLED displays for at least the next three years, and Japanese website Nikkei confirmed that Apple plans to switch to OLED displays for iPhones starting in 2018. Apple may continue to offer some iPhone models with LCD displays to fulfill demand.

OLED displays can provide sharper images, better color accuracy and brighter colors compared to LCD displays, but the technology generally has a shorter lifespan and higher manufacturing costs. Samsung's popular Galaxy-branded smartphones are equipped with AMOLED displays, as is the Apple Watch.

Should these supply chain rumors prove true, the so-called "iPhone 8" could be released in late 2018 as Apple's first smartphone equipped with an OLED display, based on the company's current naming and release cycle.

Article Link: Japan Display Planning Mass Production of OLED Displays for iPhones in Early 2018

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Samsung are aiming to get the cost of OLED down to a 10% premium over LCD next year. By 2018, OLEDs should cost less. Looking forward to the iPhone 8 now.

Reactions: Avieshek

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
LG are so far ahead of everyone else in OLED technology, I'd be surprised if anyone but them have not only the capacity for mega-zillions-of-orders, but the techno-knowhow to integrate them within Apple's tight spec..

Reactions: Avieshek

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
LG are so far ahead of everyone else in OLED technology, I'd be surprised if anyone but them have not only the capacity for mega-zillions-of-orders, but the techno-knowhow to integrate them within Apple's tight spec..
I know they're hated around these parts, but Samsung has the capacity and the know how. They are the largest OLED producer.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
I don't like AMOLED. Had an S4, and I know new ones are slightly better, but I'm still not buying what they're selling.

Reactions: teslo

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
apple does not have to put OLED screens in their phones currently because people are buying them anyway and they can make them for cheap. Want OLED in your iPhone? Talk with your wallet and stop buying the product. They will make changes real quick; however iPhone customers will just buy the new iPhone because its the new iPhone, regardless of what display it is.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
How anyone can call the iPhone a flagship phone with its devastating inferior hardware is beyond me. OLED in 2018? And then most likely still only 1080P. Absolutely laughable. There's just no excuse for it at this price point. When looking for an OEM to push the industry and consumers into the future, Apple definitely will never be the one.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I update my iPhone each year with the Next plan so not too long from now, I guess I will see how this looks.

In line with this, I'm waiting for the price of OLED TV's to come down in price for sizes 65 and up.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I've been happy with iOS screens since the iPhone 4. And most Android flagships over the last 24 months or so.

I'll be impressed if this change brings any big leaps quality wise or changes to the way I use my phone - the big one I can think of is turning the screen on by tapping it like I do with the Apple Watch (should please those people that complained that TouchID is too fast and they can no longer check the time without unlocking their phones). Selective illumination will be nice too I guess.

I've seen the DisplayMate reviews - but in the real world usage I can't tell the difference between modern flagships in regular use.

apple does not have to put OLED screens in their phones currently because people are buying them anyway and they can make them for cheap. Want OLED in your iPhone? Talk with your wallet and stop buying the product. They will make changes real quick; however iPhone customers will just buy the new iPhone because its the new iPhone, regardless of what display it is.

Normal buyers really don't care - and that's the majority. Unless it provides a clear benefit they're not bothered.

Also there are many reasons to buy an Android or an iPhone besides what display tech they use.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
AMOLED displays don't have brighter colors unless they're not calibrated. They are less efficient than LCD displays under normal use. They do have a shorter lifetime, especially in the blue, but also in the green. They do have "burn-in".

They most certainly do NOT look sharper. In fact, in order for Samsung's SAMOLED displays to look AS sharp. They need 33% higher resolution, which is why their displays have such a high resolution. The reason for that is because AMOLED displays are significantly less bright, and so they add an extra green site to the pixel, making the pixel bigger. Complaints have been that their displays look coarse and grainy. Raising the resolution eliminates that problem, but leads to another one. Now they need a GPU with 33% more power, and greater battery use to make up for the larger number of pixels.

Hopefully, if Apple does go this route, in 2018, the displays they use will have solved these problems. The only advantage to using an AMOLED display right now is the greater blacks and the fact that it's thinner. I'd hate to think that Apple is really mostly concerned with making the phones even thinner, while giving in to the other problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.