Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has purchased additional real estate in North San Jose, this time snapping up a 70,000 square foot building at 3725 N. First Street, reports the Silicon Valley Business Journal. Apple paid $18.2 million for the building, which formerly served as a manufacturing facility for Maxim Integrated Products, a semiconductor company.

It is not known what Apple will do with the building, but a description of the real estate listing suggests it could be used for manufacturing or research and development. Analysts the Silicon Valley Business Journal spoke with believe it's likely to be used as research space for prototyping given its small size, and Apple said in a statement it is expanding into San Jose with office space and research and development facilities.

maximfacility.jpg
Asked for comment, Apple provided an emailed statement that reads: "As we continue to grow, we're planning to build R&D facilities and some additional office space in San Jose. The property isn't far from the future home of our new campus and we're looking forward to expanding our presence in the Bay Area."
In recent months, Apple has been purchasing large swathes of land around the Bay Area, primarily in North San Jose. Apple purchased a 296,000 square foot research and development building in May, it leased a 43-acre development site in August, and it leased a 202,000 square-foot office building in October. Much of the property may be turned into a massive 4.15 million square foot campus, according to talks Apple has had with San Jose city officials.

Apple has also purchased a 770,000 square foot campus in Sunnyvale and it has leased 76,000 square feet of office space in the popular South of Market (SoMa) neighborhood in San Francisco.

Article Link: Apple Buys Former Semiconductor Plant in North San Jose for $18.2 Million

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Probably either for the land or to manufacture prototypes somewhere with less likelihood of leaks. It would be nice if they started to bring some manufacturing back to the US.

Orange Computer

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Probably either for the land or to manufacture prototypes somewhere with less likelihood of leaks. It would be nice if they started to bring some manufacturing back to the US.
The buy that intrigues me more than this one is the large parcel in Elk Grove. Apple may be planning either something big & secret or to onshore a bit more manufacturing

twest217

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2015
Ha! Right next to the new Samsung building (on the left) where they actually do some rnd as well. Perfect setup to continue lawsuits with Samsung.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple just paid $18.2 million for a small 70,000 square foot silicon chip fab, formerly owned by Samsung

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...h-san-jose-neighboring-samsung-semiconductor-

I wonder why Samsung sell it.
They didn't. In the very article you quoted it says:

"Maxim closed the "X3" facility in July. It had originally acquired the plant from Samsung back in 1997. It sits next to a new 10-story building now under construction by Samsung Semiconductor, and is surrounded by buildings used by Cisco and a variety of other network and semiconductor firms."

Apple bought it from Maxim not Samsung.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Has someone created a Google Maps mashup with all the property Apple owns in and around Silicon Valley?

I wonder how they compare to other large tech corporations...

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
I would crap my pants if Apple were to announce they were going to start producing their A processors at that former plant building, though I know the chances are next to zero.
Wonder what they are doing with it? Maybe just turning it into another data center? Or perhaps it has something to do with the Apple Maps vehicles or the Apple Car they are supposedly working on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.