Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is reportedly developing a wirelessly-charged iPhone for as soon as 2017, according to Bloomberg. The company is working with its partners in both the U.S. and Asia to create the technology.

iphonedisplay.png
Apple is exploring cutting-edge technologies that would allow iPhones and iPads to be powered from further away than the charging mats used with current smartphones, the people said, asking not to be identified as the details are private. The iPhone maker is looking to overcome technical barriers including loss of power over distance with a decision on implementing the technology still being assessed, they said.
Current wirelessly-charged devices require users to place their phones or other devices on charging mats. In September 2012, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said that the company wasn't sure of how convenient wireless charging is as most wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into a wall.

In early January, it was reported that Apple was working on wireless charging for the iPhone 7. However, that report warned that the feature could be pulled from the iPhone 7 for a future iteration of the device as Apple is working on the technology currently.

Apple has held an interest in wireless charging since the first iPhone, gaining patents for wireless charging stations and wireless charging through a near field magnetic resonance, which wirelessly charges a device within a certain region. The Cupertino company has also shown an interest in WiTricity's wireless charging technology, which uses "hidden charging" technology that allows magnetic fields to wrap around barriers. This allows users to place their charging pads wherever they want.

Last November it was reported that the iPhone 7 would see the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack for an all-in-one Lightning connector that allows users to both power their device and plug in headphones. While the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack would mean that Apple would be able to make the iPhone thinner, it would not allow users to listen to headphones and charge their phone at the same time. A proprietary wireless charging solution from Apple in future iPhones with all-in-one Lightning connectors would likely allow for that.

Article Link: Apple Developing iPhone With Extended Range Wireless Charging for as Soon as 2017

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Even a contact based charger like Apple Watch is super convenient. I would love extended range charger, provided it does not significantly add charging time (about 2 hours more should be the limit for full charge).

Reactions: Sandstorm

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
What's next, an iPhone that has physically no connections, doesn't have any buttons (everything is controlled using the software or using your mind or some other bs like that), it's so thin that it can fold like a piece of paper (of course, with the protruding camera and the phone that can break super-easily), and is overall just a giant screen?

Reactions: npolly0212

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
How about a Lightning charger that doesn't break after 2 months instead?

I agree, I hate the fragile lightning connectors. They "turtle neck" and fray VERY easily for me, even though they literally never leave the outlet they're plugged into. But be prepared for the following incoming comments:

"What are you doing with your chargers that causes them to break so soon?????"
"I've had my Lightning charger for (insert years) and it's still PERFECT!"
"Don't abuse your cord and you won't have this problem."

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Anything to put an end to the stupid Lightning connector. I seem to get only a year or two before i have to take my iPhone into the store, because it will quit making contact in there or something. Or the cables themselves will get a worn contact. My iPhone6 just started doing it, so time for an upgrade i guess. My old iPod 3 charges just fine (though, it doesn't hold the charge for more than 10 seconds).

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Anything to put an end to the stupid Lightning connector. I seem to get only a year or two before i have to take my iPhone into the store, because it will quit making contact in there or something. Or the cables themselves will get a worn contact. My iPhone6 just started doing it, so time for an upgrade i guess. My old iPod 3 charges just fine (though, it doesn't hold the charge for more than 10 seconds).

Why not change the battery instead of well complaining about it; would cost what $15 bucks.

I've got a Iphone 3GS that had only one change of battery and has been plugged in to death, same original cord and well it plugs in OK. Never a broken a cord or connector in our 8 devices in our family; not sure what people do exactly to mess things up so fast/.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I agree, I hate the fragile lightning connectors. They "turtle neck" and fray VERY easily for me, even though they literally never leave the outlet they're plugged into. But be prepared for the following incoming comments:

Well, if someone has got 5+ device and your saying they're fragile (as a generality), it deserves to be challenged.
You're case doesn't demonstrate it being fragile any more than mine demonstrates sturdiness.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

Whilst I do see many with the problems you describe above, I’m still on the same lead that I recieved with my 5S. I am probably a little anal with it mind you, (keep it low tension, no small radius curves or twists, pull by connector only). Every one of my family members that said, have runied their newer leads quite quickly. I do agree that they are too fragile.

Be interesting to see how many of the fanboys that slated wireless charging change tack and suggest that 'Apple did wireless charing right'.

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003

I mean, the quotes aren't wrong...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.