Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has met with TV producers and Hollywood studios about developing original TV shows to offer exclusively to its iTunes customers, according to TheStreet. The article comes by way of independent contributor Ronald Grover, a longtime entertainment business journalist who has previously covered the media and entertainment industry for Reuters and Bloomberg BusinessWeek.

Apple-TV-Content.jpg

The original content could spearhead Apple's plans to launch its oft-rumored streaming TV service, which has reportedly been placed on hold due to the iPhone maker's difficulties in securing content deals with owners like CBS, ABC, Fox, Disney, and Viacom. The report, citing sources with knowledge of the matter, claims Apple could announce a cable-like offering alongside the iPhone 7 in September.
The Cupertino-based tech giant began sounding out Hollywood's creative community late last year, but has yet to sign any agreements, according to two people with knowledge of the overtures. One plan is to have deals in place so Apple can announce exclusive content as part of a cable-like offering in September, when it is expected to unveil its iPhone 7, said one of the people.
The original TV shows would presumably be available for rent or purchase on iTunes, and/or through a subscription-based service like Netflix that would provide on-demand access to unlimited programming for a set monthly cost. Apple's streaming TV service has been rumored to cost between $30 and $40 per month, but that price was contingent upon a "skinny bundle" of TV channels rather than original programming.

Apple's discussions with Hollywood executives are being led by iTunes chief Eddy Cue, and Robert Kondrk, vice-president of iTunes content, according to the report. In a recent interview, Cue said customers should be "able to buy whatever they want, however they want," and he used the App Store as an example of how Apple provides users with multiple ways to purchase content.

Earlier this month, it was reported that Apple has shown interest in acquiring Time Warner assets, which include CNN, HBO, TBS, TNT, NBA TV, Cartoon Network, its Warner Bros. movies division, and more. Gaining exclusive rights to the popular HBO series Game of Thrones would certainly give Apple a head start on its streaming TV service, along with Silicon Valley and other original programming.

Netflix, which collaborates with Hollywood on exclusive TV shows like Daredevil, House of Cards, Jessica Jones, and Orange is the New Black, has proven that original programming can be highly popular among consumers. Apple adopting a similar strategy could help bolster its own streaming TV service, which may be accessible on the web and devices like the Apple TV, Mac, iPad, and iPhone.

Article Link: Apple May Develop Original TV Shows Exclusively for iTunes and Streaming TV Service

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
I would prefer if Apple just killed the Apple TV altogether. Personally, "exclusive" and "original" programming is a turn off. It's one of the reasons my wife and I might be canceling Netflix soon. I don't care for their original content and thats all they seem to push now instead of trying to get rights to stream good movies and tv shows.
[doublepost=1454084625][/doublepost]
Apple is the new Orange?
Ugh... NOT funny. Please don't quit your day job.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Amazon has original shows. Netflix has original shows. Apple TV has a great interface but very little in the way of compelling exclusive content. You need original shows to attract eyeballs to your platform and make it relevant. The eyeballs will go where the content is. Especially if it's series.

So far, content owners are shy about letting Apple stream their stuff, because everyone wants this business for themselves. No one in the business wants to see Apple rule streaming TV the way iTunes once ruled music.

So making its own unique compelling content is the only way forward for Apple.

The pity is that the company should have been creating original series content a LONG time ago. Apple is playing catchup to the likes of Netflix.

But here's hoping they enter the game late with a burst of speed. Apple has the one thing you need to attract great storytellers and talent: tons of cash.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not really sure that Apple should go into the producing industry. But if they did, I think the best scenario would be as part of a streaming service like Netflix. If it's just to create content to sell on iTunes - there's little point. They can make more money leveraging other people's content and just getting their cut.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Looking at the growth of the "services" category, almost on par w/ iPad and Mac, respectively, it makes sense Apple would delve further into media subscriptions. Plus they have to keep up with all the other streaming services if they are to remain a relevant service.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Netflix and Amazon already do this. However this is unlikely to solve their issues.

The difference is that unlike with Apple, other content providers want (and have allowed) Netflix and Amazon Prime to carry their content in addition.

Maybe this says more about Apple, than the content providers?

Last edited:
Reactions: woodbine

MvdM

Suspended
Apr 27, 2005
Please no. These will be shows according to Apple's diversity standards. So every shows has at least one black transgender who is married to a girl whose sister misses at least one arm.

Focus on good products with enough ports, good keyboards etc.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I would prefer if Apple just killed the Apple TV altogether. Personally, "exclusive" and "original" programming is a turn off. It's one of the reasons my wife and I might be canceling Netflix soon. I don't care for their original content and thats all they seem to push now instead of trying to get rights to stream good movies and tv shows.
[doublepost=1454084625][/doublepost]
Ugh... NOT funny. Please don't quit your day job.
It’s a killer and I think makes the consumer end up paying more altogether. It’s terrible in the world of games consoles. Right now to play everything I want I think I need a Mac, xBone and a PS4.
That’s about £1600 excluding games!! (Admittedly I could get a cheaper gaming PC).

kungpaaao

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
Could this be the point when they stretch themselves too thin? I kinda miss the Apple that was so heavily focused on great software being paired with great hardware. Do they really need to become their own picture studio now?
I'm accepting the fact that the company is changing whether I like it or not. It would be nice to focus and look at doing a few things great.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Apple is the new Orange?
Most of Orange's business plan is illegal in the USA due to anti-competition laws.

I'd love to see some interaction with these series using audience feedback contributing to the show outcome. The old QUBE Network patent suite is long expired.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I see this being about as successful as Lisa, Macintosh Portable, eWorld, Pippen, Ping, or Apple Music.

this has similar potential to Apple Music's goals. let's just hope they don't screw it up this time - not that i don't think they can salvage Music with a bit more attention to consumer complaints and rejigger it accordingly. not everything starts out a resounding success.

Reactions: kyleh22

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If Apple is going to start paying for exclusive content as part of some subscription TV service I get it. But if they're thinking of becoming production studio or doing stuff in house I think it's a big mistake. What does Eddy Cue know about creating TV shows? I don't even think Netflix produces stuff in house do they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.