Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a worldwide replacement program for the USB-C charge cables that were shipped with the 12-inch Retina MacBook through June of 2015, as these cables can fail "due to a design issue."

According to Apple, affected cables may cause the MacBook to not charge or to charge intermittently when it is connected to a power adapter. Cables with the issue can be identified by their labeling, which reads "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China." Redesigned cables have the same text, but also include a serial number.

appleusbccablereplacementprogram.jpg

Apple is providing new, redesigned USB-C charge cables to MacBook owners with faulty cables at no cost. In addition to cables that shipped with the MacBook, the replacement program also includes faulty cables that were sold as standalone accessories.

Customers who supplied a valid mailing address when registering their product or purchasing it through the Apple Online Store will receive their new cables automatically, while other eligible MacBook owners can contact Apple Support, find an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or visit an Apple retail store to get their cables replaced. Affected USB-C charge cables can be replaced under this program until June 8, 2018.

The Retina MacBook first went on sale in April of 2015, so the problematic cables were sold for approximately two months before a redesigned version was released.

Article Link: Apple Launches USB-C Charge Cable Replacement Program for Retina MacBook

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Picked up a Retina MacBook a month ago for work. Guess I'm getting a new cable. Hope I don't have to send this old one back, I'm sure it'll be useful for something else in the long run (something less minor than charging a laptop of course).

dalex7777

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013

Apple today launched a worldwide replacement program for the USB-C charge cables that were shipped with the 12-inch Retina MacBook through June of 2015, as these cables can fail "due to a design issue."

According to Apple, affected cables may cause the MacBook to not charge or to charge intermittently when it is connected to a power adapter. Cables with the issue can be identified by their labeling, which reads "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China." Redesigned cables have the same text, but also include a serial number.

cablereplacementprogram.jpg

Apple is providing new, redesigned USB-C charge cables to MacBook owners with faulty cables at no cost. In addition to cables that shipped with the MacBook, the replacement program also includes faulty cables that were sold as standalone accessories.

Customers who supplied a valid mailing address when registering their product or purchasing it through the Apple Online Store will receive their new cables automatically, while other eligible MacBook owners can contact Apple Support, find an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or visit an Apple retail store to get their cables replaced. Affected USB-C charge cables can be replaced under this program until June 8, 2018.

The Retina MacBook first went on sale in April of 2015, so the problematic cables were sold for approximately two months before a redesigned version was released.

Article Link: Apple Launches USB-C Charge Cable Replacement Program for Retina MacBook
[doublepost=1455320257][/doublepost]I wonder if this covers the USB-C cables that shipped with the Apple TV Developer kits?

Reactions: unplugme71

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I wish they'd take care of my fragile-as-angle-hair-pasta MagSafe cable and Lightning cables.
Why do if they can sell you another one once the premium-product-level time span of one year of warranty is up?

That or they haven't figured out a material that doesn't break AND doesn't look ugly, but then I wonder how most other companies manage to do that?
Yes, their cables aren't as soft to the touch, but are we really going to prioritize that?

Glassed Silver:mac

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
It's crazy how frequently these services Apple have initiated in the past year...

USB C charger
Mac Pro graphics cards
MacBook Pro retina screens and video issues
Burnt MagSafe chargers

I'm sure there's more to this list - just can't think of any more off the top of my head. Would not be surprised if more and more extension programs were released for recently released products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.