1957 vs 2007

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by alecmcmahon, Mar 28, 2009.

1. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

Scenario :
    Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario :
    Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario :
    Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability..

Scenario :
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario :
    Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2007 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario :
    Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2007- BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again..

Scenario :
    Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy..

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

On Thursday, my teacher said "Thank You" for helping record the podcasts for all the groups in our English class.

He asked if I wanted a chocolate bar as a thank you.

I said no it's fine.

And then he asked if I liked Beer?

I said "Um..I don't want to incriminate myself of anything"

He then said "Do you want some?" and laughed.

Twas' weird.

I'm sure he was kidding though. :p

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Revisionist history for the privileged.

1957: Johnny sits in the back of the bus and has to drink from a 'coloreds only' water fountain. On the way home, he's beaten by a group of white boys. White boys' crime covered up by police...

Can't wait for 1957 again!

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, no.
    A SWAT team for a fistfight? You obviously don't know what SWAT teams are actually used for...

Here's my alternate 1957 scenario:
    Crowd gathers, Mark wins. Johnny buys a switchblade and stabs Mark the following week.

Right, because corporal punishment in schools is a great idea. :rolleyes:

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Reality can be such a buzz killer...

7. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Seriously. If only we could go back to the days when kids and students were beaten for misbehavior! While I could respect an opinion on oversensitive law enforcement (all the hyperbolic stuff about SWAT teams, FBI, etc. makes it seem like that's the point), suggesting that a "good whipping" was all it took to make things right back in the day, or that guns should be allowed on campuses like they once were, is a very flawed premise.

8. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Even though I graduated in 2007, I went to a small-town school that fits your 1957 description to a tee in all areas you mentioned. And you know what? Our school was better behaved, performed better academically, and just generally worked better than the slightly bigger school in the next town over that did it the "2007 way". I 100% agree with the 'old way'.

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yeah, I much prefer rule by fear and intimidation.:rolleyes:

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

rule by fear and intimidation

oook riight:rolleyes:

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

True, that is more or less what we have had for the last ... forever. I was referencing corporal punishment, but failed:eek:.

12. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I started school in 1958 and it is so true. We all carried knives in class and sometimes the teacher would ask for one because she had to cut something. We offered, she used and gave it back. Fist fights in the school yard... no big deal, no one really got hurt. No one ever pulled a knife... that's what a coward would do, you used your fists, man to man.

I used to catch turtles or sometimes even a snake on my walk to school in the spring. I'd sneak it in and hide it in my desk. I could here it crawling around in there, thinking that everyone else could here it to. Those were fun times.

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I've gotten into fights, blown up ants, been hit by my dad, been hugged by a teacher, disrupted classes and yet none of those things have ever happened.

1957: Johnny upsets a white woman, he is lynched, the murders are found not guilty by an all white jury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Or, even worse: 1957: Johnny does nothing to a white woman, but she gets pissed off anyway, and says he raped her. Johnny is beaten, arrested, convicted by an all-white jury, and hanged.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Someone has been reading/watching To Kill A Mocking Bird. :rolleyes:

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Srsly. This thread made me think of Medgar Evers... but dealing with Byron de la Beckwith took somewhat less than fifty years -- he killed Evers in 1963 and lost his final appeal in 1997....

This thread won't be so much fun now, though, as the OP has no rights to this forum.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Me too. Although that was in the 70s and 80s - the golden years of tomorrow.

19. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Actually, it was a good idea, and it worked. Spoiled parents ruined it though.

It made the child be responsible for their own behavior.

**Note, I was in 1st grade in the 64-65 school year.

20. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

True

To the OP, that is pretty good. Kinda sucks how we have no sense on humor anymore.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I love how all the examples are related to race. Judging only from the responses here so far, I guess if nobody used the race card, or gender card, it would be very difficult to make a point. ;)

I disagree with a few of the things said about the 1957 way being better, and disagree with some of it as well. But whether you agree or disagree with it, do you think we're churning out better citizens today than in the past? Perhaps not as far back as 1957, but say......1965? 1975?

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i think the values portrayed in shows like happy days, leave it to beaver, andy griffith show are missing in todays generation

23. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Then we agree. :D

No better, no worse. Either way, a monumentalist or an antiquarian attitude is flawed.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think, in the 1990s, maybe we were... Very recently, I think our concept of citizenship and patriotism have become so confused through 9/11 and the wars that we've lost a lot of sight as a country about what it means to be an American. But I don't think that is really a race card issue anymore than I think it has to do with the debate over over-diagnosing ADHD.