Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today at Mobile World Congress, Samsung announced the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, the latest devices in its flagship line of smartphones. While the two new devices are nearly identical to last year's Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, they add a trio of features that were left out of those models: expandable storage, water resistance and more battery life. However, while previously rumored, the device does not come with a pressure-sensitive 3D Touch-like display.

samsunggalaxys7.jpg
Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge (via The Verge)​

The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge now include support for microSD cards with up to 200 GB of storage to complement the 32 GB of onboard storage. The U.S. will only receive 32 GB variants of the devices while some regions will receive a 64 GB version alongside the 32 GB version. The devices also support IP68 water and dust resistance, which means that the phones can be submersed in up to 5 feet of water for 30 minutes. The S7 comes with a 3,000 mAh battery, up from last year's 2,550 mAh, while the S7 Edge comes with a 3,600 mAh battery, up from last year's 2,600 mAh.

Both devices have received minor design improvements intended to make the devices easier to hold. The S7 now has a flatter home button and a less pronounced camera bump among other small refinements. The S7 Edge has received a larger 5.5-inch display (both devices sport the quad HD Super AMOLED display in the Galaxy S6). However, the S7 Edge has also received a sleeker, more curved back that, according to The Verge, results in a 5.5-inch device that is easily workable with one hand.

The rear camera in the new S7 and S7 Edge is now 12 megapixels, down from last year's 16 megapixels. Samsung says the camera now has larger pixels that let in 56 percent more light than the previous model's camera; it also comes with a f/1.7 aperture that lets in an additional 25 percent more light. The camera sensor's shape has also changed, moving from a 16:9 ratio to a 4:3-like ratio. The camera can also focus three times faster than the previous model thanks to its new dual pixel system, which uses every pixel as a "focus pixel," according to Samsung.

Finally, both S7 devices are powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 processor rather than Samsung's own Exynos chips, which powered the S6. However, Samsung notes that some regions of the world will still receive S7 devices powered by the Exynos chips. Both devices also have 4 GB of RAM, up from last year's 3 GB. Neither phone is equipped with the new USB-C port, with Samsung instead opting to continue with Micro USB due to its compatibility with its Gear VR headset and being the more mature technology.

The phones both run Android 6.0 Marshmallow with Samsung's TouchWiz interface. The two big software enhancements for this year's model are additional edge swipe gestures for the S7 Edge and an always-on display that continually shows either a clock with notifications, a calendar or an image. The system uses the proximity sensor to keep the display on, so when the phone is face-down, in a pocket or purse it turns off. Samsung says the feature only uses half a battery percentage an hour.

The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge will be available on all four major U.S. carriers on March 11. The S7 will come in either black or gold color options while the S7 Edge will be available in black, gold or silver. Samsung didn't reveal prices, but said they will be roughly in line with last year's prices. Pre-orders will begin February 23. Users who purchase an S7 or S7 Edge between February 23rd and March 18th will receive a free Gear VR headset.

Article Link: Samsung Announces Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge With Expandable Storage, Larger Battery

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Free GearVR + Water Resistant + up to 200GB of add in storage.... commmon appple........ Let me iphone allow me to bring all my music with me again...... please!!! I'm tired of all these streaming services.

I mean, how cool would it be to have all your music that you own, with you in your pocket (again).

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
I have to admit, this is one gorgeous phone. Im glad Samsung pushed out an impressive product, so that other manufacturers have no other option but to give us an even better product. Competition creates perfection

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Looks like the dropped the soap on the "3D Touch"-esque screen, oops

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Free GearVR + Water Resistant + up to 200GB of add in storage.... commmon appple........ Let me iphone allow me to bring all my music with me again...... please!!! I'm tired of all these streaming services.

I mean, how cool would it be to have all your music that you own, with you in your pocket (again).

200GB wouldn't be enough for me to do that. Particularly with pictures as well.

APEuroHis

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
Camarillo, CA., USA
Have to admit it. The idea of sliding in an SD card with data/music/ etc, freely is a temptation. SD prices have come down
the last year to where a 128 or 256 SD card is worth it. If Apple were smart, this is what they would do with the iPad. If it means upsetting Hollywood and the stranglehold on iTunes, then so be it. That would really increase sales within the iPad spectrum.

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
The rear camera in the new S7 and S7 Edge is now 12 megapixels, down from last year's 16 megapixels. Samsung says the camera now has larger pixels that let in 56 percent more light than the previous model's camera

The S8 is rumored to have a 1-pixel camera which will let in 12 million times more light per pixel than the S7's camera (and 16 million times more light per pixel than the S6's camera), according to Samsung.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I have to admit, this is one gorgeous phone. Im glad Samsung pushed out an impressive product, so that other manufacturers have no other option but to give us an even better product. Competition creates perfection

Just like all those perfect laptops Dell and HP were pumping out in the mid-2000's, right? Competition really has little to do with whether or not a market moves towards better products or cheaper products.

I can't wait for this competition between AT&T and Verizon to affect my phone bill!

maceric

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
I do love the 360 camera ability. Reminds me of when Apple's Quicktime VR was so awesome, and no one knew about it. If Samsung sells their 360 cameras cheap and accessible, this phone will be a huge hit. I've tried Cardboard and it's amazing, so doing 360 videos can really be a thing if we can have that additional camera easily

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
Just like all those perfect laptops Dell and HP were pumping out in the mid-2000's, right? Competition really has little to do with whether or not a market moves towards better products or cheaper products.

I can't wait for this competition between AT&T and Verizon to affect my phone bill!

Well T-Mobile doing things like offering music and video streaming that doesn't affect your data and rollover data and abolishing contracts created enough competition for other carriers to start following suite. So you may be waiting on those two carriers to effect each other, but T-Mobile has already effected both. Competition pushes others to do better than their counterparts. I think you may have missed what I was saying, probably because you were wasting time writing that unfunny sarcastic comment :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.