Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MasterCard has announced that it will be relaunching its "Fare Free Mondays" promotion in London, England next week. Each Monday between February 29 and March 14, commuters using Apple Pay to touch in and out of the Transport for London network will be reimbursed for travel costs that are paid for with a U.K. MasterCard.

The promotion is valid for travel on London Buses, London Underground, London Trams, Docklands Light Railway, London Overground, TfL Rail, Emirates Air Line, and most National Rail services in London, where a yellow card reader is present. MasterCard will reimburse up to £28.10 per person on each of the three Mondays.

The exact dates and times for "Fare Free Mondays" based on London time:

- Monday, February 29 at 4:30 a.m. to Tuesday, March 1 at 1:00 a.m.
- Monday, March 7 at 4:30 a.m. to Tuesday, March 8 at 1:00 a.m.
- Monday, March 14 at 4:30 a.m. to Tuesday, March 15 at 1:00 a.m.

The promotion was first offered on Mondays between November 23 and December 14.

Article Link: MasterCard's 'Fare Free Mondays' Returns to London Next Week for Apple Pay Users

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
How about doing it EVERY MONDAY from now on, instead of a virtuous "Aren't we wonderful!" promo month? If you are giving something kind, make it PERMANENT.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How about doing it EVERY MONDAY from now on, instead of a virtuous "Aren't we wonderful!" promo month? If you are giving something kind, make it PERMANENT.
Uh, what? This is pretty generous - they're losing up to $120/person during each of these promotions. There's no way they could afford to make it permanent.

The aim of the promotion is to make customers try it and see how convenient it is. Once they realize how convenient it is, MasterCard hopes they'll keep doing it (without the financial incentive).

I guess they could have a permanent promotion of "The first 3 days that you use Apple Pay to commute, we'll reimburse you up to $40/day."

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Oh well. Don't have a MasterCard, don't have ApplePay.

And remember that the "lucky" people who get reimbursed $40 on each of three days are paying $40 on each of the other four days of the week and every working day.

If it was _every_ Monday then it would pay for MasterCard fees + a new iPhone :)

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
Well at least you guys in London have the brains to use contactless cards, chip, and mobile payments.

Here in America we listen to:
"What? Contactless? What's that?"
"No, I'm not using a contactless card, they're stupid and dangerous."
"Mobile phone payments aren't safe, I'll just swipe my card instead."
"Why do I have to insert the card instead? That's stupid."
[doublepost=1456418042][/doublepost]
Ah yes. And Visa uses get the shaft.

Why would you even use a Visa anyways? MasterCard is more widely accepted, and there's no advantage to choosing a Visa over a MasterCard.

Reactions: catean

Manesh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Well at least you guys in London have the brains to use contactless cards, chip, and mobile payments.

Here in America we listen to:
"What? Contactless? What's that?"
"No, I'm not using a contactless card, they're stupid and dangerous."
"Mobile phone payments aren't safe, I'll just swipe my card instead."
"Why do I have to insert the card instead? That's stupid."
[doublepost=1456418042][/doublepost]

Why would you even use a Visa anyways? MasterCard is more widely accepted, and there's no advantage to choosing a Visa over a MasterCard.

Its exactly the same, or worse here in london. Though I'd add this to the list for whenever it is used:
"Wooah, thats scary"

RichardGroves

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
Uh, what? This is pretty generous - they're losing up to $120/person during each of these promotions. There's no way they could afford to make it permanent.

The aim of the promotion is to make customers try it and see how convenient it is. Once they realize how convenient it is, MasterCard hopes they'll keep doing it (without the financial incentive).

I guess they could have a permanent promotion of "The first 3 days that you use Apple Pay to commute, we'll reimburse you up to $40/day."

You'd have to spend most of the day travelling to get the $40/day. Most days travel will cap out at about $10. Still, free money, so yippee!

Evan Davis

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
Birmingham, United Kingdom

In the UK, debit cards are far more prevalent than credit cards and most banks issue Visa Debit cards only.

Unfortunately none of the Debit MasterCard issuing banks have signed up to Apple Pay whereas almost all UK Visa Debit cards will work on Apple Pay.

Hence this promotion is only available to the relatively few that have MasterCard credit cards.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Ah yes. And Visa uses get the shaft.

As Americans, we inherited much from our English forebears; including language, concepts of government and human rights, and the ability to be ungracious entitled ingrates. Thanks, England, for your many gifts!

redhanded

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
Oh well. Don't have a MasterCard, don't have ApplePay.

And remember that the "lucky" people who get reimbursed $40 on each of three days are paying $40 on each of the other four days of the week and every working day.

Not if they cycle in for the other four days of the week... ;)

A good proportion of the people where I work cycle in but nobody does it every single day and choose between underground or bike depending on the weather, if they are doing something after work and now maybe free travel offers for the underground...

things

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014

visa has c. 95% market share for debit cards in the UK

mc has over 50% market share for credit cards, but that's been falling, not sure who uses them, haven't seen one for ages, maybe more popular for branded store cards?

the promotion is clearly an attempt by mc to get users to set it as their default payment method and to use it, so that mc can increase revenue

but contactless card is less hassle to use than apple pay - lighter, smaller, tougher, less risk of theft/damage - especially in the rush hour scrum

RichardGroves

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
In the UK, debit cards are far more prevalent than credit cards and most banks issue Visa Debit cards only.

Unfortunately none of the Debit MasterCard issuing banks have signed up to Apple Pay whereas almost all UK Visa Debit cards will work on Apple Pay.

Hence this promotion is only available to the relatively few that have MasterCard credit cards.

Debit cards aren't that much more prevalent. 97 vs 60 million - http://uk.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/uk-britain-credit-debit-card-statistics-international.php Haven't got data on issuer type for each, but suspect you are correct that Visa is larger than MC (and maybe that is why MC have a marketing promotion running??)

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
We need more of these types of creative incentives in America to increase user and merchant buy in.

The only way there'll be anywhere near 100% merchant acceptance in the US is if:
  1. Tap transactions became 100% free to the merchant and
  2. Apple transmits cardholder name and other identifying information to the merchant for every transaction.
Otherwise merchants will do everything they can to keep collecting data on customers and failing that, try to engineer a mass switch back to cash by making the chip experience suck. IMO, Apple misjudged how much retailers actually hate cards.

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
mc has over 50% market share for credit cards, but that's been falling, not sure who uses them, haven't seen one for ages, maybe more popular for branded store cards?

A lot of American banks are switching from Visa to MasterCard.

Citi was one, and my credit union was another. My Key Bank Card is a MasterCard, and my Capital One card are also MasterCards. That might have something to do with the slower rate of falling.

I only have one Visa now (Chase).

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
A lot of American banks are switching from Visa to MasterCard.

Citi was one, and my credit union was another. My Key Bank Card is a MasterCard, and my Capital One card are also MasterCards. That might have something to do with the slower rate of falling.

I only have one Visa now (Chase).

And a lot are switching to Visa for nearly all of their cards. Personally I had zero MasterCards until this past year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.