Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ten One Design today announced the "Blockhead," a side-facing plug for Apple chargers that will allow users to place the large wall adapters flush and parallel with a wall to save space, and open up more possibilities for charging behind large furniture. The accessory replaces the detachable prongs that ship with Apple products, and Ten One Design promises Blockhead will fit "every MacBook" and "every iPad" adapter, with one caveat regarding older model iPad minis.

blockhead-plug-1.jpg

Specifically sculpted to be a companion for Apple's chargers, the company promises that Blockhead will provide a "strong" grip and electrical connection in lieu of using Apple's first party prongs. Thanks to the geometry of the plug's design, Blockhead also points the Apple adapter's plug downwards instead of straight out from a wall, which Ten One Design says "protects against cord stress."
Blockhead directs your cord downward at a more natural angle. It looks great and protects against cord stress. By turning your adapter sideways, Blockhead brings its center of mass closer to the wall. This means less tension on the plug and a lot less falling out.
In comparison to Apple's chargers, the Blockhead plug is 1.2 inches thick, noticeably slashing the thickness of the MacBook wall adapter's required 3.8 inches of space. Thanks to the Blockhead's design, the new plug can also house two adapters on one outlet, or even adjacent plugs on a traditional two-prong extensions cord.

blockhead-plug-2.jpg

The accessory will work on any Apple charger rated for 10 watts or higher, so it is compatible with all MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and MacBook models, as well as all iPad models aside from the original iPad mini. Those interested in the Blockhead plug can pre-order the accessory on Ten One Design's website starting today, with shipping estimated to be in "late April." Users will be able to choose between one plug for $19.95 or a "Blockhead Stack" of two plugs for $34.94.

Article Link: 'Blockhead' Plug Provides Space Saving Solution for Apple Wall Adapters

Shredliotti

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Clever idea but definitely not worth $20. Wait a few months and there will definitely be all kinds of imitators and clones.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Note that you can't just throw your Blockhead-connected Apple adapter back in your bag when you're on the go, because their prongs don't pivot closed like the original Apple adapter can. That, plus the fact it's $20, almost half the price of my 29W 12" MacBook adapter, I'll wait for a 2nd-gen or a safe clone/remake of that idea.

lucy-blockhead.jpg

Reactions: geoffm33

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
Am I jaded to have my first thought be about how soon until a charger with one of these adapters catches fire, and Apple says "Well you Blockhead..."?

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I like the idea, but I am not sure I am comfortable connecting third party products on the power brick

DryHeave

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
*headdesk* They take a brilliant idea, productize it, and ruin it by making it a bright BLUE instead of the proper white that blends in. The FAQ at their website doesn't even address the issue of availability in white. Probably because they hope that someone will see it out in public and ask what it is, which might generate interest? Dumb! It's fugly. They just lost a sale.

I've never understood third-party products that don't attempt to blend in 100%.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Note that you can't just throw your Blockhead-connected Apple adapter back in your bag when you're on the go, because their prongs don't pivot closed like the original Apple adapter can. That, plus the fact it's $20, almost half the price of my 29W 12" MacBook adapter, I'll wait for a 2nd-gen or a safe clone/remake of that idea.

lucy-blockhead.jpg

Or for $7, you could just throw one of these in your bag to accomplish the same thing, and have a spare outlet to boot.

41WDrL5nBRL.jpg

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
*headdesk* They take a brilliant idea, productize it, and ruin it by making it a bright BLUE instead of the proper white that blends in. The FAQ at their website doesn't even address the issue of availability in white. Probably because they hope that someone will see it out in public and ask what it is, which might generate interest? Dumb! It's fugly. They just lost a sale.

But, but... you just explained why! and it's not dumb, it's marketing.

Product that does everything it can to draw attention to itself--> Donald Trump
Product that tries to blend in--> George Pataki

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
As someone who travels frequently for work, this is worth every penny of $20.

It is shocking that Apple didn't get to this first.

Apple seems to be determined to make it clear that they don't care about the power adapter for the Mac book. Can anyone explain to me why there is no built in solution to ensure that the wall adapter thingy doesn't get lost? I don't know any "normal" users that I haven't lost that little piece. How hard would it be to have a clip built onto the brick where the smaller adapter lives?

DryHeave

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
For this particular usage I don't think it really matters; it'll probably sit somewhere invisible.

A lot of people use their power adapters out in public, for example at coffee shops.

I'll be first in line to buy one of these when they sell them in white.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Damn, those hug-a-plug things are great. I'm buying a couple because it's hard to plug crap in behind a bureau. USB stuff sticks out too far, and most power strips don't have flat right-angle connectors.

Bummer that the black 6 packs are $1.04 more than the white ones. WTF?

Reactions: ignatius345

WinstonRumfoord

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2014

'

At least go with a light grey that somewhat matches!!!

Anyways, this is really, really, really awesome. I might get a few even though they are only in ugly blue. Our dog likes to run around close to the walls and ALWAYS is knocking out our MBP adapters, in fact, the prongs are all bent because of this.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Damn, those hug-a-plug things are great. I'm buying a couple because it's hard to plug crap in behind a bureau. USB stuff sticks out too far, and most power strips don't have flat right-angle connectors.

Bummer that the black 6 packs are $1.04 more than the white ones. WTF?
I feel like I've seen stuff like this even cheaper at the hardware store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.