Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and Major League Baseball have agreed to a deal that will see the sports league's coaching staffs use iPad Pros in dugouts to make better use of data during games, according to The Wall Street Journal. Baseball managers and coaches have traditionally used notebooks, pieces of paper and binders to keep track of data.

mlbdugout.jpg
A pitch frequency chart in the MLB Dugout app​
Teams will be able sift through performance stats from current and past seasons, weigh potential pitcher-hitter matchups, look at "spray charts" showing where a player is likely to hit a ball, even cue up videos of plays from previous games.
Each team will receive 12.9-inch iPad Pros with rugged cases sporting the team's logo. MLB's Advanced Media division, with assistance from Apple, have built an app called MLB Dugout, which will serve as the central destination where managers and coaches can look at their data. "We're not just replacing binders with tablets, we're actually helping them do things that weren't possible before," Phil Schiller, Apple SVP of marketing, told the WSJ.

For instance, players will now be able to watch video of pitchers during the game rather than having to retreat to the locker room. New York Mets' third-base coach Tim Teufel noted that the app will likely come in handy when the "game changes in unexpected ways," like when a pinch hitter steps up to the plate or a relief pitcher subs in.

The Dugout app will serve up proprietary data for each franchise, which means each team will only draw upon their own data rather than league-wide data well. The app will be preloaded before each game, but the MLB eventually hopes to update the app so that data could be provided in real time. The app was tested during the postseason last year.

The deal is similar to the one Microsoft signed with the NFL, putting Microsoft Surface tablets in the hands of NFL coaches and players on the sidelines. That deal was initially marred by glitchy tablets and announcers repeatedly calling the devices "iPads" rather than Surfaces. While the NFL required that the Surface tablets be shown on the sideline during each game, the MLB is making iPad Pro use optional. However, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said he thinks most teams will use them, saying that he hopes they'll help speed up the game.

The MLB has embraced Apple's technology before, adopting iBeacon technology in 2014 and outfitting 20 ballparks in time for that season.

Article Link: Apple Will Provide MLB Teams With iPad Pros for Dugout Use

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Regardless of the merits of such app/setup for everybody's sanity sake would not it be better if MLB simply banned all electronics in the dugout? No waste of money on hardware and software and everybody can simply enjoy the game. I am 100% sure that these apps will add nothing to the enjoyment of the fans so what's the purpose?

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
Regardless of the merits of such app/setup for everybody's sanity sake would not it be better if MLB simply banned all electronics in the dugout? No waste of money on hardware and software and everybody can simply enjoy the game. I am 100% sure that these apps will add nothing to the enjoyment of the fans so what's the purpose?
It's not meant for the fans. Its merely market placement. The NFL and Microsoft have sold the Surface pretty well. Plus MLB has always seemed to be good partners with Apple (or at least MLB Advanced Media). Being the statistical game baseball has become, I can see this being a nice tool for the pitching, batting and bench coaches, along with getting some market placement for Apple.

MLB gets some free devices, becomes "current" with tech (which they'll see as a plus against their 'old timer' rep), probably gets some advertising change from Apple. Apple gets air time during MLB games, and circulates some 12.9s to show it can be a "laptop replacement" (even though it still doesn't).

Last edited:

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008

Did you not read the article at all? It's for the coaches. Not the fans.

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013

It will benefit fans. By making data available immediately to coaches they are able to speed up their decisions which in turn speeds up the game. This was one of the expectations of the MLB commissioner when talking about this deal.

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
The NFL deal with Microsoft was over two years ago, yet I believe it was just a few months ago during the playoffs that there were glitches and malfunctions with the Surface Pros on one sideline that required everyone to put them down.

While I do like that every MLB team has the option, Apple's recent iOS software updates has me about as confident as I would with Surface Pros roaming the sidelines... Glitchy and underperforming.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I am 100% sure that these apps will add nothing to the enjoyment of the fans so what's the purpose?

If your team is - like many teams nowadays are - using advanced statistical analysis to improve their performance, and if these iPads give your team better access to that analysis, your team will play better. If your team plays better, it will likely win more games, and the fans will definitely enjoy that.

On the other hand - if your team is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim... you're right, it's a complete waste since no app can out-perform Mike Scocia's "gut" in his humble opinion. But, hey, you still get to watch the best player in baseball roam the outfield on a daily basis.
[doublepost=1459319507][/doublepost]
The NFL deal with Microsoft was over two years ago, yet I believe it was just a few months ago during the playoffs that there were glitches and malfunctions with the Surface Pros on one sideline that required everyone to put them down.

Yup, I think it was when the Panthers beat my Seahawks. Plus it was especially funny that - finally - the announcers consistently and correctly referred to them as Microsoft Surfaces during the repeated mentions of the malfunctions.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Baseball in its various guises has been around for 600+ years. They've coped for that long without daft gadgets and meaningless data on the sidelines, so why is it needed now?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
those gears are aimed to the teams, not to the fans...

Reactions: TimSHB

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I know they'll be in rugged cases, but I would love to see their faces when Apple ships them a cubic ****-ton Rose Gold iPad Pros since that seems to be the only colour Apple wants to promote these days.
as you said: rugged cases. the color doesn't really matter
[doublepost=1459323102][/doublepost]
Baseball in its various guises has been around for 600+ years. They've coped for that long without daft gadgets and meaningless data on the sidelines, so why is it needed now?
indeed. And we could write using a pencil and paper instead of daft gadgets like computers and word processors. Not to speak about using a scalpel on a rock ... :rolleyes:
It's called PROGRESS. Never heard before ? :cool:

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
So Apple gets the MLB.

And Microsoft has the NFL.

What Google will get? The NBA?

Microsoft, NFL stands for Not For Long. Based on last year's go of it, I think that may apply to you guys as well.
[doublepost=1459324164][/doublepost]

I don't think it's about the fans in this case. This is an opportunity for the dugout to be more efficient in many ways.

Sure the old pen and pad has worked for countless number of years, but if technology can truly make things easier and simpler over time, I think it's time we begin to implement the technology.

According to the article, there is data and media that teams were incapable of getting their hands on at any given time. Sounds like this technology will make that possible.

I love the idea. I don't expect it to be perfect initially but it's a step that probably needs to be taken for the future.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
as you said: rugged cases. the color doesn't really matter
[doublepost=1459323102][/doublepost]
indeed. And we could write using a pencil and paper instead of daft gadgets like computers and word processors. Not to speak about using a scalpel on a rock ... :rolleyes:
It's called PROGRESS. Never heard before ? :cool:

It's not needed in baseball. You'll find the teams don't even want to use the iPad. They are only going to be using them for commercial purposes. Apple didn't pay all that money for nothing. The teams will need to be seen to be using them.

Reactions: sofila

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009

Every president before President Obama was white. Why did we need to change it up and go black?

I think it's called progress, growth, maturity.

Why do our kids grow up. Why can't they just stay short and cute.

Why do we need electric cars? Gas has worked fine for years.

Who the hell created change? They ought to be locked up and while we're at it....throw away the damn key!!!!

Reactions: kameradhund

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It's not needed in baseball. You'll find the teams don't even want to use the iPad. They are only going to be using them for commercial purposes. Apple didn't pay all that money for nothing. The teams will need to be seen to be using them.
It's not needed because you said so , right ?
Statistics and data analysis is fundamental in EVERY sport, at a professional level. It's been done since ever. Now they are going to use electronics gears to do something they have done with paper and pencil for years.
It's called progress, and it's welcomed.

Surely there is a commercial deal involved, but everyone will benefit about that.

Reactions: Gasu E.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.