Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Live video streaming iOS app Periscope has gained a new feature that lets users save their broadcasts forever.

Users of the Twitter-owned app are now able to permanently save replays of their videos simply by including the hashtag #save in the title, with the option remaining to delete the broadcast at a later time. The new feature puts it on a level footing with Facebook Live, which touts the same facility to make videos permanent.

gsmarena_001.jpg

The new feature was announced last night via Periscope by CEO Kayvon Beykpour, who described the feature as a "public beta" and part of an upcoming "holistic solution" that will let users control how broadcasts stay on the platform, including when to keep broadcasts for longer than the default 24-hour window and when to have them deleted more quickly.

Comments and hearts are saved with broadcasts that use the new #save hashtag and there is no limit to the number of videos a user can save. Broadcasts with the hashtag will be visible in a user's profile, as well as anywhere else they show up, while links shared externally such as via Twitter will remain permanently active.

Periscope also bid a fond farewell to Katch, a third-party tool for saving Periscope videos and sharing them elsewhere. The startup shut down last month after running out of funding, reports TechCrunch.

Periscope users need not update their app to see the change come into effect, but should instead sign up for the Periscope Beta Program.

Periscope is a free download on the App Store available for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link] A separate Apple TV app is also available on the Apple TV App Store.

Article Link: Live Video Broadcast App Periscope Gets Permanent Save Feature

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Um, as a random person in public, do I get a say if I don't want to be live broadcasted and permanently saved?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Um, as a random person in public, do I get a say if I don't want to be live broadcasted and permanently saved?
You should live in Germany, our photography [and videography] laws are crushingly harsh.

As a photographer this hurts me a lot, because a whole world of photography is simply not possible over here.

Glassed Silver:mac

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You should live in Germany, our photography [and videography] laws are crushingly harsh.

As a photographer this hurts me a lot, because a whole world of photography is simply not possible over here.

Glassed Silver:mac
So what's out in public is not really public?

Lioneagle

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
Phoenix
This is perfect for recording crooked police, and a protection of citizen's rights. #Save the video of police misconduct as you live stream it, and even if they destroy your phone, the video of them is safely on the cloud...even the part where they illegally took your phone and destroyed it.

This is very good news for law abiding citizens.

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
This makes sense; if Twitter wants to compete with Facebook in terms of live broadcasting, this would be a good first step. They have a long way to go, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.