Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in February, iTunes chief Eddy Cue promised a new version of iTunes would be coming out with OS X 10.11.4, featuring a simpler design that makes Apple Music easier to use. That update wasn't included in OS X 10.11.4 and has been delayed, but a source has shared some screenshots of the upcoming iTunes 12.4 update with MacRumors, giving us a look at the changes Apple plans to introduce in the near future.

itunes124-800x396.jpg

A redesigned dropdown media picker will be used to switch between Music, TV Shows, Movies, and other content, replacing the existing navigation icons. Like the current menu, the new menu is customizable, so sections of iTunes that are not used can be hidden from view. Forward and back buttons can be used to navigate between different sections.

itunesnavigation-800x527.jpg

A persistent sidebar located on the left side of the app is being added, which will make it easier to access different portions of an iTunes Library like specific songs or albums. The sidebar, like the menu bar, can be edited to show desired content, and songs can be dragged and dropped to playlists.

itunesmainscreen-800x527.jpg

Menus in iTunes 12.4 are being simplified to make them easier to use, and the available content in Library can be customized using the redesigned View menu. Menus will be "easier to use" updated with new navigation options.

itunesmenus.jpg

The mini player will also get some slight design changes, with the Up Next song feature being relocated to the right side of the player where it is more clearly visible.

itunesupnext2-800x202.jpg

It is not clear when Apple will debut iTunes 12.4, but our source says it should be released within in the next few weeks, putting a launch date in late May or early June.

Rumors have suggested Apple is also planning to introduce significant changes to Apple Music in the iOS Music app in iOS 10, and additional tweaks could be made to iTunes in OS X 10.12 to mirror changes being introduced in iOS 10.

Article Link: iTunes 12.4 Update to Feature Minor Redesign With New Sidebar, Improved Navigation

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Not sure without using it of course, but it seems that the persistent sidebar coming back is a good thing. For the most part though, my iTunes looks like it always did back in the day, with the menu on the left always there.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
They could make a spinning-wheel based UI that selects functions at random, and it would be nearly as usable as it is now. Any change is welcome, especially the reintroduction addition of a persistent sidebar.

roulette.gif

Last edited:

CanadianMacFan

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
I don't see the playlists anymore. It currently is right beside "My Music" and had the side bar and allowed the column browser which is how I interact with the application. If they've taken that away I'm going to be really upset because I hate the interface from the other options.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
iTunes needs some refinement. I'm glad to see they are attempting to make some changes. Hopefully Apple Music will be completely overhauled, as it's horrendous. Then maybe I consider using my free 3 Month trial.

Reactions: AleXXXa and tyasjs

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
iTunes needs some refinement. I'm glad to see they are attempting to make some changes. Hopefully Apple Music will be completely overhauled, as it's horrendous. Then maybe I consider using my free 3 Month trial.
Refinement ?
It was refined prior to iTunes 10, then bloatware & blandness (flat design) took over.
Now it needs separation between Store, Streaming & CMS. A bit like on iOS, where you have a separate iTunes store & music app, but more decluttering is needed on the OS X iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.