Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched its annual Back to School promotion in the U.S. and Canada, offering a free pair of Beats Solo2 Wireless Headphones to qualifying students, parents of students, educators, and select others that purchase an eligible Mac with education pricing, including the iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac Pro. As usual, the Mac mini and refurbished Macs are excluded from the deal.

Apple-2016-Back-to-School-promo.jpg

Apple is also offering a free pair of Powerbeats2 Wireless Headphones with the purchase of an eligible iPhone or iPad Pro with education pricing, including the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and both the 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Those who purchase a qualifying iPhone or iPad Pro can also upgrade to the Beats Solo2 Wireless Headphones for $100, or $110 in Canadian dollars.

Apple will apply an instant credit in the amount of $299.95 in the U.S., or $329.95 in Canadian dollars, to cover the full cost of the Beats Solo2 Wireless Headphones in Black, Blue, Red, White, Gold, Rose Gold, Silver, Space Gray, Blue Active, Red Active, or Yellow Active. Apple will similarly apply an instant credit of $199.95, or $219.95 in Canadian dollars, for the Powerbeats2 Wireless Headphones in Red, Black, Black Sport, White Sport, Red Active, Yellow Active, or Blue Active.

Apple has outlined the full eligibility requirements for the program in its terms and conditions for the U.S. [PDF] and Canada [PDF] on its website.

Apple's Back to School promotion runs from today through September 5, 2016 at Apple retail and campus stores in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada. The deal is also available on Apple's online store or by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. Apple has not yet officially announced the promotion in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Denmark, or other European countries where it is typically offered.

Article Link: Apple Launches 2016 Back to School Promotion, Offers Free Beats With Mac, iPhone, or iPad Pro Purchase

Last edited:

geenosr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
South
I bought a macbook air last year using the back to school special combined with the 0% interest Barclay credit card and it has been a great deal! I was hesitant about a pair of beats headphones, but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sound and the design. Now this year they are offering a wireless pair of solo 2 headphones which makes this deal even better. Maybe the promotion isn't as good to some customers because of the perceived value of the beats headphones, but it was worth it to me, and I am happy with my purchase.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Is this not a little early compared to normal?
Schools just around stopping in Denmark.
But I guess they have to empty stock so there is room for the new models;)

Reactions: NikeSG

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Is this not a little early compared to normal?
Schools just around stopping in Denmark.
But I guess they have to empty stock so there is room for the new models;)

No. Apple's back to school promo traditionally starts sometime around Memorial Day and ends around the time of its first fall refresh event.

ash150

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016
will apple wait until this offer is over to release the new MBP now?
when does the europe (UK) school promotion usually start?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
How does this help students? Do you know what students don't have... MONEY. They need discounts, not free swag.

The free swag is on top of Apple's student discount. If you go to any U.S. campus they are chock full of MacBook variants. Students may not be rolling in $ but just about every student needs a laptop. Many prefer Macs so this is a bonus.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Thank you for the clarification.
I do not normally participate in the back to school shopping so I just thought it would be later.

No, your original assumption was correct. Apple does jump ahead of the "back to school" game, probably because computers are expensive so they want to capture that money before it's spent on other items. Most stores will start their Back To School campaign mid-July.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
How does this help students? Do you know what students don't have... MONEY. They need discounts, not free swag.

Higher Education students (in the UK, at least) get 15% off all Mac computers at any time, and free 3-year hardware warranty -- which is essentially AppleCare, but without the phone support. So they can save quite a lot of money. Easily £400-500 on RRP if they get a high-end portable.

I'm not sure if they get the free Beats headphones too, though they used to get free iPods, etc. So they may well still be doing that deal.

Reactions: ViktorEvil

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This is too early. Apple is desperate for sales. I need to go ahead and sell this stock.

How is it too early or desperate if late May to June is when Apple has been launching this campaign for over a decade? Last year, when Angela Ahrendts was still getting settled in, Apple started it in July.

Reactions: HenryDJP

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
Interesting... On one hand, this will help clear stock of Macbook Pros and help with the case of a new Macbook Pro coming very soon, but this promo lasts until Sept, and is Apple really going to have 2 generations of Macbook Pros being sold during this promotion? If it ends in Sept, maybe we won't see a new Macbook Pro until October once the promo is over a-la the release of the unibody Macs in Late 2008... FIRE ANGELA blah blah blah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.