Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Japanese website Nikkei is continuing the 2016 doom and gloom sentiment surrounding iPhone sales, reporting that an unnamed source has confirmed that sales figures and shipment numbers for Apple's smartphone lineup will see the first year-over-year decline since the iPhone debuted in 2007. The website cites "lukewarm demand for a new model" and a lack of innovation as the major reasons behind the predicted sales decline.

Specifically, iPhone shipments in 2016 are estimated to total between 210 and 220 million units, which would be a drop off of as much as 8.6 percent from 2015. The "people familiar with the matter" within Hon Hai Precision Industries noted that one of the company's executives described a lower iPhone demand for the remainder of this year, lasting "until at least early next year."

27021490093_0777fc173c_b-800x450.jpg
iPhone 7 Plus design mockup in "Deep Blue"

"Hon Hai Precision Industry Chairman Terry Gou has told his staff that the demand for iPhones will remain feeble until at least early next year," a source said. Hon Hai, better known as Foxconn Technology Group, declined to comment.

Gou told Chinese Premier Li Keqiang in China in late May that the company's overall orders were falling this year, although Foxconn did receive a sudden rush of orders in April and May. Foxconn makes about 70% of iPhones sold globally.
Whether that means the supplier would begin working on the expected mega-cycle "iPhone 8," or another mid-cycle upgrade similar to the iPhone SE, early in 2017 is unclear. Nikkei's sources opine that Apple's attempt to shake up an upgrade cycle with no notable new hardware features by introducing new colors -- seemingly referring to the recently rumored Deep Blue -- proves "that the company now has no way of breaking out of the current doldrums."

Still, the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus could come with a few notable new hardware revisions, namely a dual-lens camera that would allow for 2-3x optical zoom capabilities, clearer and brighter images, and the ability for users to refocus an image after taking a picture. Otherwise, the handsets are expected to remain largely in line with the iPhone 6s design, besides the potential removal of the headphone jack and redesigned set of antennae bands.

Article Link: iPhone Sales Predicted to 'Remain Feeble' Until Early Next Year

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Did Nikkei ever predicted anything good for Apple ever?

Should the results turn the other way, I expect them to comply with the traditional Japanese Harakiri ritual for they have ashamed their ancestors.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I've pretty much made the decision to hold on to my 6 Plus for a third year after the snore fest that the next iPhone looks to be. Holding on to hope that the rumours about the 2017 redesign are true. The iPhone is starting to feel and look outdated. I even considered switching to a Galaxy S7 Edge but I'm too heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and everything would fall apart. Also the fact I hate Samsung, Android and Google. But the S7 Edge does look pretty cool compared to the iPhone.

I get that the iPhone design is iconic but they could easily put a modern twist on it. Remember when the iPhone 4 got announced and everyone went crazy because it was such a departure from what we'd seen before? We haven't had a moment like that for a while. They could even make the iconic home button digital. Introduce an edge to edge display. Just make it actually look modern! I'm a huge Apple fanboy but slowly becoming frustrated and bored.

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
I'm the same as some people here. If the iPhone 7 remains too similar to the current 6/S in design, then I'm sticking to my trusty 6 for another year.
I remember getting the iPhone 5 - yes it was new in material and a little taller than the 4, but in the end I felt like I didn't have a new phone as it was too similar.
I have a feeling that if I upgrade from the 6 to the 7 and the shape is pretty much the same, I'll just feel "meh" about it like I did with the 5.

Reactions: macaximx

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I've pretty much made the decision to hold on to my 6 Plus for a third year after the snore fest that the next iPhone looks to be. Holding on to hope that the rumours about the 2017 redesign are true. The iPhone is starting to feel and look outdated. I even considered switching to a Galaxy S7 Edge but I'm too heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and everything would fall apart. Also the fact I hate Samsung, Android and Google. But the S7 Edge does look pretty cool compared to the iPhone.

I get that the iPhone design is iconic but they could easily put a modern twist on it. Remember when the iPhone 4 got announced and everyone went crazy because it was such a departure from what we'd seen before? We haven't had a moment like that for a while. They could even make the iconic home button digital. Introduce an edge to edge display. Just make it actually look modern! I'm a huge Apple fanboy but slowly becoming frustrated and bored.
Almost exaclty what I would say, (except the hating part - that’s just silly). One generation older too as I’m on a 5S.

Anawrahta

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
亞洲
I'm surprised that Apple would let rumors of an iPhone 8 get out before the iPhone 7 is even released. It's clear lots of people are waiting for a major revision. It just seems like so many people are going to skip the iterative release with all the rumors going around for 2017 model. That's going to hurt the bottom line in the near term.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Nobody really know anything about the iPhone 7.

This is pure speculation and, as Macrumors correctly points out, doom and gloom aimed at influencing the short term share price.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Did Nikkei ever predicted anything good for Apple ever?

Should the results turn the other way, I expect them to comply with the traditional Japanese Harakiri ritual for they have ashamed their ancestors.

You clearly have no understanding of the ritual/code .

iPhone sales have nothing to do with ones culture.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
If the iphone 7 turns out to be like that mockup. I believe it's still best in design compared to other phones. Even its not a radical design change, it is still good with deep blue color.

Reactions: H2SO4

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Dropping sales, plus a saturated market should be an incentive for Apple to be pushing out innovative phones, rather than different colours, and the usual "thinner, faster, slimmer" line.

Last edited:

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
These prognosticators are ridiculous. First of all, even if iPhone sales don't see YoY gains, the sales numbers will still be HUGE, so it's all relative. And as Apple always points out, the only thing that really should matter is that they are making, not losing, money. The iPhone, albeit a big portion of their sales and profit, is but a piece of the puzzle.

I think that is why Apple is focusing on further building out the eco-system that keeps consumers engaged, whether they're buying a new iPhone every year or not. iPhones, iPads, rMBP's, rMB's, iMacs ATV and AW are all things that at some point you don't need to get new every year (given their high quality and useful life is more than 1 year). And with Apple Music creating yet another income stream and one I'm subscribed to, Apple is getting more money out of me [than they previously did], regardless of whether I'm buying a new iPhone each year.

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I think that slower sales was bound to happen. There's no 'must have' features in phones anymore, really. I have a 6 plus and haven't seen any rumors that make me want to upgrade to the next phone. And I'm a tech geek. This is just the way it goes these days for most people. They're happy with their phones and don't need a new one.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
I'm sure this report was totally coincidentally released just before Apple announces their new and postentially exciting software updates. Can't let that share price go up.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
I'm sure Apple will think of a bogus statement for the keynote on why they barely touched the design of the 7.

"We heard our customers and the design of the iPhone 6 worked. That's why we kept the design for the iPhone 7 but made it better..... (Insert antenna bands and no headphone jack comments)...

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
If the headphone jack goes, and the dual camera is indeed limited to the Plus model, "new colors" isn't going to be anywhere near enough to tempt this longtime iPhone user to upgrade.

Why would the removal of the 3.5mm jack be an issue at all? There'll obviously be a 3.5mm to lightning adapter to let all headphones be used seamlessly (and to allow simultaneous audio/power). It also removes a fairly large potential ingress for water.

And, adding a second camera for a device that's already epically volumetricly constrained just may not be physically viable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.