Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the weeks leading up to WWDC 2016, multiple reliable sources indicated the opening keynote would be a no-hardware affair. And as it turned out, the focus of the event was unsurprisingly on software, including iOS 10, macOS Sierra, tvOS 10, and watchOS 3. So, when can we expect new Apple hardware?

Many products were at some point rumored to have a possible connection with WWDC 2016, including the next-generation Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, and Thunderbolt Display. Those that have been following rumors consistently, however, will know that the most of the products are actually expected in the second half of 2016.

The following roundup serves as a refresher of rumors we have heard up until this point.

Macs

mbp_13-250x148.jpg
Apple last updated the 13-inch MacBook Pro in March 2015, followed by the 15-inch model in May 2015, with Force Touch trackpads, faster flash storage, longer battery life, and improved graphics. As our Mac Buyer's Guide indicates, that was around 400 days ago, leading many to believe that a refresh is overdue.

Prospective buyers were hopeful that Apple would surprise with a new MacBook Pro at WWDC 2016, despite the keynote being billed as a no-hardware affair, but the comapny delivered upon expectations and focused on software announcements only. So, when will the 2016 MacBook Pro be released?

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Hardware-Free WWDC Sets Stage for Busy Second Half of 2016

Last edited:
Reactions: RoquenGriseus

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think the iPhone 7 and new Apple Watch will launch alongside each other in September, new Macbook Pro's will probably follow in an October event especially if they plan on updating the whole Mac range, they could hold a special Mac event in October.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I honestly have been waiting with my wallet ready for a year to replace my 2013 macbook air but thus far Apple hasn't released anything compelling enough for me to want to switch because I love my 2013 air but I wish it had a better screen (not even higher resolution just better colours and IPS with a thinner bezel) and also I would love even longer battery life. The macbook doesn't do it for me, battery life is worse than the air and only one port. Macbook pro doesn't do it for me either, thicker, heavier, more power than I need, and worse battery life. Many times I have considered switching back to windows but unfortunately I am very wary because every windows laptop I have used in the past has had a really bad touchpad

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
It's time for updating the MacBook Pro series – the MBP is >400 days old (and it's case has the exterior of 2008), and the MBA is on its way out. Hard times for everyone who's not interested in a 12" MacBook. What a disappointing year it has been so far.

gramtrax

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Got a Dell catalog in the mail last night showcasing their latest laptops. They look really nice! Right next to it, they say "Will make any MacBook Pro user jealous" and well, they are spot on. My 2013 MBPR is still just as fast as the current model?? This is crazy. Apple's software bugginess reminds me of Windows anyway, so I could save some money and switch to a Windows machine.

Oh, and the Dells are almost half the price! Add in a 5K Dell display and it's still cheaper. Wow, so sad Apple. I guess once management gets money and some fame, they have no drive to do better than "average".

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
It's time for updating the MacBook Pro series – the MBP is >400 days old (and it's case has the exterior of 2008), and the MBA is on its way out. Hard times for everyone who's not interested in a 12" MacBook. What a disappointing year it has been so far.
Whether it's ready or not? You want fins on it? Deep Blue? They could probably do that in a few days.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I really think it's time they do a serious hardware upgrade to the MacBook Pro, and fall into a consistent silent hardware upgrade cycle every 6-9 months. My 15" 2012 MBP has an NVIDIA 650M. 4 years later, I can pay the same price I did back then, which will get me a 15" rMBP with integrated graphics. This has practically identical graphics performance due to no dGPU.

This just should not be the case, especially in a Pro machine that costs so much. Graphics power in the last 4 years has made even more leaps than CPU performance. You wouldn't think that's the case with the machines Apple are selling, and it's so odd they'd skimp on GPUs whilst pushing OpenGL/Metal in the newer OS X iterations.

Oppenheim

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015
Apple should spin out their Mac OS and Mac hardware business.

Re-name Macs to "Woz".

We need a CEO who understands and respects Mac. Not someone who takes it for granted.
[doublepost=1466084304][/doublepost]Apple could make a fortune on the back-to-school Mac market.

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
There won't be a major watch physical design update until 2017? Two years on first gen design, maybe they really do think they nailed just putting a square screen on your wrist.

Reactions: robeddie

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Usually developer conferences are for developers....its more about code and applications. Hardware reveals if it ties to that maybe.

My disappointment about this conference is apple's best reveal never even made it to the stage. the prospect of an OS changed down to its very core....would have rated center stage at this wwdc if I ran the show.

Reactions: pianophile and adib

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Bring justice to the iPhone, Apple Watch & the entire Mac line-up whilst introducing stuff like the Thunderbolt display with one keynote left this entire year? Doubt it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.