Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its iOS feature availability page with 30 new Flyover locations around the world, including cities in the United States, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

flyover.jpg

Flyover is an Apple Maps feature that provides photo-realistic 3D views of primarily large cities and landmarks. In satellite view, users can zoom, pan, and rotate to get a closer look at notable points of interest in supported regions.

The full list of new Flyover locations is available below, but some areas may only now be reflected on Apple's website:

United States
Catalina Island, California
Pinnacles National Park, California
Porterville, California
Visalia, California
Tallahassee, Florida
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Springfield, Massachusetts
Omaha, Nebraska
Poughkeepsie, New York
Rochester, New York
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Columbia, South Carolina

International

Leipzig, Germany
Naples, Italy
Palermo, Italy
Akita, Japan
Hagi, Japan
Hakodate, Japan
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kumamoto, Japan
Tsunoshima, Japan
Acapulco, Mexico
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Hermosillo, Mexico
La Paz, Mexico
Oaxaca, Mexico
Puebla, Mexico
Gijon, Spain
Vigo, Spain
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom

Additionally, Apple Maps traffic data is now available in Chile, Hungary, and Vatican City.

Article Link: Apple Maps Gains 30 New Flyover Locations Around the World

Onext1

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
NO ONE CARES ABOUT 3D FLYOVER!!! STREET VIEW IS THE FEATURE THAT IS ACTUALLY USEFUL!!!! WHY IS APPLE BEING SO DUMB REGARDING MAPS?

Reactions: atikalz

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It's a gimmick but today I will give it a go for the first time . Stock-on-Trent let's fly !

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
NO ONE CARES ABOUT 3D FLYOVER!!! STREET VIEW IS THE FEATURE THAT IS ACTUALLY USEFUL!!!! WHY IS APPLE BEING SO DUMB REGARDING MAPS?

You realize that you may not use it, but if you're traveling to the a city you may have never been to, flyover might be of interest. Plus, Apple is sitting on so much money, they can do "stupid" things, and it won't matter one bit to services that Apple does that you do care about.

Onext1

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
It's certainly not Apple that's looking dumb, here.
The main topic is not what looks dumb here. The main topic is the Maps App. But, thanks for such an insightful opinion anyways.
[doublepost=1467962015][/doublepost]
You realize that you may not use it, but if you're traveling to the a city you may have never been to, flyover might be of interest. Plus, Apple is sitting on so much money, they can do "stupid" things, and it won't matter one bit to services that Apple does that you do care about.
Google Maps is much more interesting so far.

Reactions: realeric

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Stoke On Trent...is a dump! We went a few weeks ago. Never going back.

My friend lives in Allentwon in PA but when I go to the map I can't see the 3D fly over icon. How does one make it work?? I can see it in NYC and Philadelphia.

pac

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 145

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
The main topic is not what looks dumb here. The main topic is the Maps App. But, thanks for such an insightful opinion anyways.

Flyover is clearly the missing link between satellite imagery and the street view level that Apple is yet to launch.

When all the system will be in place, the experience will be like magic, resembling a drone view, unlike the poor user experience of today's Google street view (in other ways, a very useful service).

It's almost unbelievable folks continue to bitch about flyover, completely missing the big picture.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Flyover is far more useful to me than streetview. Being able to fly around a city using gestures and multi touch and zoom into areas I'm looking for is much easier than navigating through a city using a bunch of photos.

I'm a photographer and often have to shoot in different parts of the city that I live in and in cities that I don't know well. Flyover has been invaluable. Just this week, I met with a wedding couple who I'm shooting and we sat down and planned their wedding itinerary and found shoot locations using Flyover. They asked me what app I was using and were surprised when I said Apple Maps.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Okay, so that had what to do with what i said?

Onext1

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
Flyover is clearly the missing link between satellite imagery and the street view level that Apple is yet to launch.

When all the system will be in place, the experience will be like magic, resembling a drone view, unlike the poor user experience of today's Google street view (in other ways, a very useful service).

It's almost unbelievable folks continue to bitch about flyover, completely missing the big picture.
The thing is that the Maps App doesn't seem to get as much attention as other apps and very probably it could become an essential app down the road with the introduction of the Apple Car. It definetely serves its purpose but it isn't enough nowadays.

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
Yo, Apple, we keep having this same conversation. One more time:

Quit aiming services and products at your millions of users worldwide, and start making only what zahuh wants.

I am confident you've never used flyover and I'm confident you've used street view.

Mic drop.

Onext1

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
Is your keyboard working right?
I thought capital letters would capture better my feelings of rage, madness, disbelief, a little bit of hunger and a spoonful of carelessnes for grammatic decensy. I apologize also on behalf of other capitalizers. Hopfully one day WE WILL OVERCOME OUR ADDICTION TO CAPITAL LETTERS <-- failure im sory

GrahamPadruig

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2007
OK, am I the only one whose eyebrows went up at the news of traffic data for Vatican City? As far as i know the Vatican doesn't have a single publicly accessible road! All the main roads go around the outside of its walls, and the only vehicular roads I can think off are to the car park by the Vatican Museum (the Via Sant'Anna) which you have to be a member of staff, or the curia, to use (or even access), and the Via Pio X, Via della Posta, Via del Pellegrino and the Via del Telegraph, all of which are service roads running off the Via Sant'Anna. I'm sure there is the odd vehicle that trundles around the gardens at 10mph, but I doubt they have many traffic jams. Nearly all the tarmac area of Vatican State is car park, or access road to car park. I look forward to seeing the actual data, you'll probably be able to tell when His Holiness is going home because there will be a sudden spike in traffic, from 0 cars to 1 car :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dualica 01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.