Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FIS and Payment Alliance International have announced a new partnership that will see cardless withdrawals with Touch ID enabled at over 70,000 ATMs at stores, gas stations, restaurants, and shopping malls across the United States.

PAI-ATM-Cardless.jpg

FIS Cardless Cash is a QR code-based solution that will reduce the risk of card skimming and shoulder surfing at ATMs by allowing customers to securely withdraw their funds through an iPhone app without inserting a plastic card into the machine. All transactions will require Touch ID verification as an additional layer of security.

Payment Alliance International is the largest independent operator of non-bank-owned ATMs in the United States, and its partnership with FIS makes NYCE the first national payment network to support mobile phone-to-ATM transactions.

Bloomberg previously reported that Payment Alliance International will start rolling out the technology in August or September, and plans to have cardless cash access at 25,000 machines in the U.S. by the end of 2017. FIS and Payment Alliance International did not confirm those specific plans in their announcement.

This announcement follows in the footsteps of Bank of America rolling out support for withdrawing cash from its ATMs using Apple Pay for a few months. Wells Fargo will also enable support for Apple Pay withdrawals at many of its ATMs by year end, while Chase Bank plans to upgrade its ATMs with cardless technology this year.

Article Link: Cardless Withdrawals With Touch ID Coming to Over 70,000 ATMs Across the U.S.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
How's that gonna work? Scan QR Code on ATM, then choose card in your Wallet to In-App ApplePay with and process the withdrawal? That's the best way I can see it working....at least it would use ApplePay for security.

A worse variation would be to have to somehow enroll and store your ATM card within a separate (less secure) app.

Reactions: 32828870 and samden

mawool01

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
How's that gonna work? Scan QR Code on ATM, then choose card in your Wallet to In-App ApplePay with and process the withdrawal? That's the best way I can see it working....at least it would use ApplePay for security.

A worse variation would be to have to somehow enroll and store your ATM card within a separate (less secure) app.

Why would it not work just like Apple Pay in the store. I would foresee some type of NFC chip reader in the ATM that you would touch your iPhone or Apple Watch to. Then you would select the card you would like to withdraw funds from. Authenticate with your fingerprint.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012

I guess you go to ATM, you press a button that says Apple Pay Withdrawal or something like that, then you choose an amount (within limits) and finally you do the same thing when you pay with Apple Pay.

Edit. Oops article says Touch ID; got confused with Apple Pay. Hmm QR's seem inelegant indeed.

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Note: TouchID via an app /= ApplePay.

Good first step but ... Seems optimized to increase security and reduce physical CAPEX for banks at the expense of convenience and security for customers.

If it's "take photo of a QR-code" with an app, or wake app on phone via BT or NFC, and subsequent authentication via Touch ID in iPhone and PIN entry on the ATM, it's not really Apple Pay.

Although it is an improvement of sorts over inserting a card, typing a pin and defining transaction, it is lousy compared to the alternative. It may be slower than a card approach for many users and result in more exposure for customer as they go thru a number of fiddly steps.

This process could be vastly streamlined and made safer for the customer (less time at ATM by:
1) allowing customer to prepare transaction prior to facing terminal (like in car), and
2) upgrading the terminals to include NFC antennae that allow customers to present prepared transaction on device and to authenticate, grab cash and run.

Last edited:
Reactions: needfx

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Excellent Idea, now all I have to do is the wait the customary 2/3 years before this gets rolled out in Canada.

If we are extremely lucky :p

Most of the big banks recently did an ATM update to allow for envelope free deposit and nice touch screen etc.
I am not expecting them to change the ATM's for another 10 years lol.

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
"FIS and Payment Alliance International have announced a new partnership that will see cardless withdrawals with Touch ID enabled at over 70,000 ATMs at stores, gas stations, restaurants, and shopping malls across the United States."​

Meh ... OK.. first READ the article people.. they say touch ID.. NOT APPLE PAY.. I repeat;
this will NOT work with APPLE PAY.. they are just using their OWN 3RD PARTY APP and using Touch ID when you OPEN THE DUMB APP..

This article is hoooooribly written. They 'imply' that Apple Pay is supported.. but never say anything but 'Touch ID'.. which any app can use.

I won't use until I can just put my Apple Watch or phone up to it.. At this point you have to open the app, login, point camera to scan QR code.. da ... da .. da.. da.. dumb..

It's way easier to just pull out your card.. hardly NO one will use this.. and whats worse.. the only reason they are doing this is because they just don't want to upgrade their ATM's with NFC..

Cheep @ss banks and ATM providers.

Last edited:

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Why would it not work just like Apple Pay in the store. I would foresee some type of NFC chip reader in the ATM that you would touch your iPhone or Apple Watch to. Then you would select the card you would like to withdraw funds from. Authenticate with your fingerprint.

Where did you read anything about NFC in this article. It's a QR code based app with Touch ID. This has nothing to do with Apple Pay or NFC. Only Bank of America has announced plans to add NFC to their ATMs.

Reactions: V.K.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
But I thought the government said that using cash means you are probably a terrorist?

:rolleyes:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Note: TouchID via an app /= ApplePay.

Good first step but ... Seems optimized to increase security and reduce physical CAPEX for banks at the expense of convenience and security for customers.

Looks like photo of a QR-code based app with subsequent authentication via Touch ID.

Although it is an improvement of sorts over inserting a card, typing a pin and defining transaction, it is lousy compared to the alternative. It may be slower than a card approach for many users and result in more exposure for customer as they go thru a number of fiddly steps.

This process could be vastly streamlined and made safer for the customer (less time at ATM by:
1) allowing customer to prepare transaction prior to facing terminal (like in car), and
2) upgrading the terminals to include NFC antennae that allow customers to present prepared transaction on device and to authenticate, grab cash and run.

Agree....I doubt a third party ATM issuer is going to update 70,000 ATMs with new hardware. Looking at the picture in the OP, looks more like the woman is taking a QR Code shot than ApplePaying. The post only says Touch ID authenticated, it doesn't say NFC or ApplePay.

This looks more analogous to WalmartPay than to ApplePay. But I hope you can select your ApplePay stored card for security like an in-app purchase.

Reactions: Robert.Walter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.