Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

earpods_table-250x250.jpg
With it looking more and more like Apple is going to remove the headphone jack on the iPhone 7, we've seen considerable speculation and discussion about the transition to either wired Lightning headphones or Bluetooth options. Looking at the wireless possibilities, the first iPhone 7 headphone jack rumors immediately reminded us of an "AirPods" trademark filing we discovered last October that seemed likely to be linked to Apple, although conclusive proof could not be found at the time.

That AirPods trademark application was filed by a previously unknown company by the name of Entertainment in Flight LLC, which carried many of the hallmarks of being a shell company operated by Apple for the purposes of hiding its true identity. Apple has used such companies on many previous occasions, including for "iPad" and "CarPlay" that were ultimately used in product names and others such as "iWatch" that ended up scrapped in favor of other names.

As the AirPods trademark has continued through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office review process, additional documents have been filed that we believe confirm Apple is behind the filing while providing evidence Apple continues to have interest in protecting the name.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Trademark Filings Seemingly Confirm Apple's Work on Upcoming 'AirPods'

Reactions: dkelban

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Surprise, surprise. I mean we all saw this coming, yet I'm still very excited. I love the current EarPods and them being wireless would be very nice.

I bet it'll cost 79 dollars, if it's more than I'm not sure I'd shell out for it... 99 at max.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I think the most logical guess for the fall with the iPhone losing the headphone jack is that lightning earbuds will be bundled (and used by 99% of users like current bundled headphones are) along with Apple pushing wireless for headphones by selling AirPods (that maybe also pair and charge using lightning like the Pencil does). I think they're going to play heavy on the wireless angle of it, wanting to eliminate cords as much as possible.

Reactions: doelcm82

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Thier EarPods are one of the more reasonably priced Apple accessories, I hope they extend that to AirPods. Whatever the price, I'm sure they'll be a slick little gizmo -- would be great if they somehow integrated 'Hey-Siri' functionality without a huge hit on battery life :eek:

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Nice name, but if they really are removing the headphone jack then despite the cost I think they should ship a pair with every iPhone like they did with EarPods.
Releasing these but manufacturing cheaper lightning cable earphones feels stingy and un-Apple to me.

Reactions: milo

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
I can't wait to see apple wireless earbuds. Almost every implementation I've seen so far is meh at best. I bet apple will be able to get some great battery life with these.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The rest of the world might as well accept the fact that Apple owns all i-xxx words and all xxxx-pod words.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Nice name, but if they really are removing the headphone jack then despite the cost I think they should ship a pair with every iPhone like they did with EarPods.
Releasing these but manufacturing cheaper lightning cable earphones feels stingy and un-Apple to me.

Why? Because every single iPhone customer uses headphones?

Why should Apple pay a premium, charging the customer more, or sacrificing profits in order to give every customer a wireless headphone option, when many don't want, nor need them?

Package the least expensive option for those who occasionally need to plug into the phone, and let those who need "power" headphones pay for their own choice, like they do with anything else.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
As long as they don't carry on with the ugly Beats design. The EarPods have been the most comfortable headphone design for the price
There could be potential in a headphones-shaped iPod if done right. No wires, no device, the headphones are the iPod.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, fits with the hypothesis that Apple will push wireless headphones as the evolution.. (NOT lightning headphones, as some intermediate step with its attendant compromises).

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
They need to update Bluetooth so that you could have BT LE headphones/audio. Then you might have earbuds with decent battery life, considering how little space there is for a battery.

Reactions: thermodynamic

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I never thought I would ditch Apple. I've had 2 of every iPhone. Several MBPs. I bought a G5 in 2005. Several iPods, iPads, Apple TVs, TB Display... everything.

But a phone without a DAC and analog output is worthless.

Well it will have a DAC and analogue output for the built-in speakers. Either way, I don't see it that way, and neither do most of these people:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/01...o.ask.apple.shoppers.what.they.thought.131986
[doublepost=1468614021][/doublepost]
They need to update Bluetooth so that you could have BT LE headphones/audio. Then you might have earbuds with decent battery life, considering how little space there is for a battery.

Do we know BT 5 doesn't address that issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.