Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With just over six weeks remaining until Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, leaked photos and rumors surrounding the smartphones are starting to become clear and consistent.

Deutsche Bank is the latest group to add its expectations to the mix, issuing a research note obtained by Business Insider that corroborates several previously rumored features coming in this year's refresh.

iPhone-7-Plus-dual-cameras.jpg
New photo of iPhone 7 and 7 Plus rear shell molds (Image: KK?? on Weibo)

The bank, which allegedly made supply chain checks, believes the 4.7-inch model will have an improved camera and optical image stabilization, while the larger 5.5-inch model is set to gain a dual-lens camera and 3GB of RAM.

Both models are also expected to have no headphone jack, a touch-sensitive home button with haptic feedback, a new darker color, "professional class" waterproofing, and improved sound, possibly by way of stereo speakers.

Perhaps the most interesting bit is Deutsche Bank's belief that the iPhone 7 will ship with a Lightning-to-3.5mm headphone jack dongle in the box, rather than Lightning-based EarPods as previously speculated.

Many aftermarket Lightning-to-3.5mm adapters are bulky and clunky looking due to the need for a digital-to-analog converter, however, so it remains to be seen if Apple could create a dongle that meets its high standards of design.

Every single one of Deutsche Bank's predictions have surfaced previously:

- No 3.5mm headphone jack: WSJ, Fast Company, Mac Otakara, and many others
- Dual-lens camera for iPhone 7 Plus: Ming-Chi Kuo, Mac Otakara, and many others
- 3GB of RAM for iPhone 7 Plus: Ming-Chi Kuo
- Touch-sensitive home button: DigiTimes, Cowen and Company
- Improved waterproofing: WSJ, Fast Company, DigiTimes, Commercial Times, Weibo
- Stereo speakers: DigiTimes, Mac Otakara
- A new darker color: Mac Otakara and leaked photo
- Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter: Mac Otakara

Apple is widely expected to announce the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in September. Other rumored features include a faster TSMC-made Apple A10 processor, repositioned antenna bands, faster LTE and Wi-Fi, a slightly larger battery, and a minimum 32GB of base storage. A larger 256GB model may also be available.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Again Said to Ship With Lightning-to-3.5mm Headphone Dongle

goatless

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
I'm so excited to skip the iPhone 7! My first time deviating from my standard biannual update!

6+ is going strong
I might have to join in on that party, unless I can get past that headphone jack thing. I understand Lightning is supposed to be superior to the previous connector, but I've never had a single problem with the latter, and two of my phones have had problems with the former. I always have to make sure the phone's charging, and, worst case, have to restart it to get it to charge.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
When will Apple realize that NOBODY, I repeat, NOBODY wants stupid, octopus-like dongles on ANY of their devices?! It's like Apple's trying to do the new MacBook thing again, except worse because the iPhone uses Lighting instead of USB-C (If they opted to use USB-C, I'd support them 100%). This is outright STUPID! Advancing forward in technology does NOT involve making products LESS functional!

doctorwhofan98

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2014
England, UK
This seems like a really bad move... I hope Apple won't do it, because I don't want to have to use a bulky adapter unless it provides access to both listening to music and charging simultaneously. As the inevitable adapter is unlikely to have two lightning ports, I'd rather just use lightning headphones.

The iPhone 7 is looking like quite a poor update so I'm tempted to skip it, but 1GB of RAM is already annoying on my iPhone 6 and I'm sure it will get worse when iOS 10 comes out, so I can't wait for over another year to upgrade. The A8 processor is also showing its age (loading the Facebook app is so slow!) and I really want 3D touch. But I'll be happier when upgrading if they include lighting EarPods, and not just an adapter.

I used to hate comments on this site talking about how post-Steve Apple has been deteriorating…now I'm just sad because of how true it is (mainly as far as this dongle business goes)

While I agree this iPhone 7 isn't looking to be anything innovative or exciting (and I won't be upgrading), I'm confident that it will be a respectable all-around update (evolution not revolution). Even with Jobs, Apple was never the "throw a bunch of things out there to see what sticks" kind of company. They don't make change just for the sake of change.

Regarding the dongle (which it appears is your main concern), Jobs was always a big proponent of removing ports/buttons. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that. Dongles were very much a thing in the Jobs era to assist in the transition away from certain ports. I doubt Jobs would have wanted to keep the headphone jack. I'm not a fan and not defending the decision, but it's a classic Apple/Jobs move.

Personally, while I think including a (free) dongle is a great move, I believe Apple needs to really push wireless headphones. I've been primarily using bluetooth headphones for the past year (the Apple Watch is what pushed me in that direction), and I think they are a marked improvement over wired. There is definitely room to improve, and I hope Apple can innovate on that front. Battery life hasn't even really been a big issue for me.

I always have to make sure the phone's charging, and, worst case, have to restart it to get it to charge.

I've been noticing this more and more, but in my experience it has solely been with cheap knockoff in-car chargers. I've never had an issue charing in a standard wall outlet with Apple's cable (or in my car with slightly more expensive equipment).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.