Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Siri-on-Apple-Watch-250x276.jpg
Services like Siri, Cortana, and Alexa are being held back by a lack of advancements in digital microphone technology, reports Bloomberg, citing the opinions of several analysts.

While processors, camera sensors, and other vital iPhone components have evolved rapidly over the course of the last several years, the same can't be said for microphones. Digital microphones still have trouble focusing on filtering out background noise and clearly detecting faraway voices, impacting device listening capabilities.

With artificial intelligence growing in popularity, however, Bloomberg says manufacturers are scrambling to improve microphone tech.
"No doubt, there is an arms race," says Peter Cooney, an analyst at SAR Insight & Consulting. The big tech companies are thinking a lot more about mics than they have for the past few years. Since the 2012 launch of the iPhone 5, "microphone performance has not really improved that much," says Marwan Boustany, an analyst with research firm IHS Markit.
Apple and other companies who rely on microphones to deliver queries to smartphones and other devices are said to want technology improvements that will make them better able to distinguish voices from other sounds at longer distances.

In a recent interview, Apple SVP of software engineering Craig Federighi said that microphones have a big impact on Siri's ability to understand commands. "It's not just the silicon," he said. "It's how many microphones we put on the device, where we place the microphones. How we tune the hardware and those mics and the software stack that does the audio processing." He said Apple's expertise at combining hardware and software gives the company "an incredible advantage" over companies just working on AI with software.

In the same interview, Apple execs said Siri's capacity to interpret commands has reportedly improved greatly following the introduction of machine learning, but in practice, Siri still often fails to hear commands or misinterprets spoken words, mistakes that could perhaps be improved with better microphone technology in the future.

Siri has long been limited to iOS devices and the Apple Watch, but with the launch of macOS Sierra this fall, the personal assistant will expand to Macs. Siri also came to the Apple TV last fall with the launch of the fourth-generation set-top box.

Article Link: Siri Held Back by Lack of Advancements in Microphone Technology

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Umm, how exactly is it a microphone problem when I can see a 100% correct transcription of what I just said, but Siri still fails to do anything useful with it?

Exactly. Also, if industry-wide microphone technology is the limiting factor (and has stagnated since the iPhone 5) then how have Google Now and Cortana advanced so much while Siri remains close to useless?

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
This is where mic manufacturers like sure missed the boat on making more cash and driving their own development

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Umm, how exactly is it a microphone problem when I can see a 100% correct transcription of what I just said, but Siri still fails to do anything useful with it?
Clearly there are multiple failure points. If Siri could interpret 100% of what it transcribes, this would help you but it wouldn't help those for whom Siri fails to properly transcribe the commands.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Digital microphones still have trouble focusing on filtering out background noise and clearly detecting faraway voices, impacting device listening capabilities.
They seem to be talking about distinguishing voices at a distance.
I can see issues with that, but that still doesn't excuse poor performance when the device is in your hand.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
In the long run, Siri will come out ahead. The others mentioned lean heavy on scripted responses, work great until more complex requirements arise. In the short term the other guys may perform better. Apple's approach with improved input, better hearing, will quickly catch up and surpass the scripted responses. The turtle and hare or house of cards, Apple has a good solid foundation to be a leader. Wait a year and will see how it develops.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
In the long run, Siri will come out ahead. The others mentioned lean heavy on scripted responses, work great until more complex requirements arise. In the short term the other guys may perform better. Apple's approach with improved input, better hearing, will quickly catch up and surpass the scripted responses. The turtle and hare or house of cards, Apple has a good solid foundation to be a leader. Wait a year and will see how it develops.

Most people here have been saying "wait a year and see what happens with Siri" for the last few years.

Regardless, I admire your optimism and hope you're right :)

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
The other day, I used Hey Siri to set a timer. I used my Watch (running the latest live OS), iPhone 6s Plus (running the latest live OS) in my pocket, my iPad Pro (running the latest PB of iOS 10) on the pillow of my bed with its Smart Keyboard cover on. I was standing at the foot of my bed, queen size.

My Watch took the command, my iPhone didn't, my iPad...did! My room was quiet, TV on, and I wasn't speaking loud. It isn't the mics, it's Siri itself and what it can and can't do.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Sounds like an excuse because I can whisper across the room to a $45 Moto G and Google voice commands work fine but even up close Siri is airheaded so I highly doubt it's the microphones unless Apple sourced some pretty cheap ones across all iPhone and iPad models.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Apple holds back Siri from mining your data unlike Google and Amazon.

Keep telling yourselves this. Maybe pick up a phone with Google Now or Cortana. You really think Apple has a monopoly on AI/voice recognition competence over Google and Microsoft? Please.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Exactly. Also, if industry-wide microphone technology is the limiting factor (and has stagnated since the iPhone 5) then how have Google Now and Cortana advanced so much while Siri remains close to useless?

Every head to head I've seen shows that Google, Cortana and Alexa aren't any better than Siri yet some in the media and posts like this have propagated the myth that somehow Siri is behind.

I have Google Now and have used Alexa extensively enough to come to the same conclusion; they're not any better and in the case of Alexa, I think it's worse. Too often, Alexa simply craps out and fails to respond.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Keep telling yourselves this. Maybe pick up a phone with Google Now or Cortana. You really think Apple has a monopoly on AI/voice recognition competence over Google and Microsoft? Please.
Just an opinion. Have used both Google and Cortina, a bit better now as I said. The approach Apple is taking along with hardware integration should reap good benefits for Apple and their users.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.