Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following image leaks of two new Fitbit fitness trackers, the company today officially announced the Fitbit Charge 2 and Fitbit Flex 2. In addition, the Fitbit Blaze and Fitbit Alta wearables will receive a software update soon that brings new notifications, clock faces, and move reminders.

fitbit-charge-and-flex-800x545.jpg
Fitbit Charge 2 (left) and Fitbit Flex 2 (right)

Starting with the Fitbit Charge 2, the new device comes with a large OLED screen that includes a built-in tap display and is intended to capture all-day activity, including the usual statistics like step count, heart rate, calories burned, and more. Like other Fitbits, the Charge 2 allows for sleep tracking and wake alarms, and will also remind users to move in order to stay ahead of activity goals. When not working out, Fitbit is giving Charge 2 users a chance to dress their device up with all-new luxe leather bands and other premium accessories.

Improving on the original Fitbit Charge HR, the new OLED display is 4-times larger, "so you can see more activity stats and keep your fitness goals on track with just a glance." In addition to basic fitness readouts, the screen will also show smartphone-connected information such as text messages and emails. All of the Fitbit Charge 2's features will be able to last up to 5 days depending on usage, according to the company.

fitbit-charge-2-leather-bands-800x393.jpg
The luxe leather collection for the Charge 2

Similar to the Breathe app coming to WatchOS 3 on the Apple Watch, Fitbit also announced "Relax," a mindfulness experience on the Charge 2 that will guide users through breathing exercises daily to help relax them. Relax will read each user's heart rate to determine the most comfortable breathing rate for each exercise, with sessions customizable from 2 to 5 minutes.

The Fitbit Flex 2, which is 30 percent smaller than the original model, follows in its predecessor's footsteps with a minimalist design that houses a row of LED lights instead of a traditional tap display. As a result, the Flex 2 is more rugged and the device is even water resistant up to 50 meters, letting it "automatically track your pool swims as exercise in the Fitbit app, capturing your laps, the duration of your workout, and caloric burn."

fitbit-flex-2-accessories-800x467.jpg
The luxe collection of bangles and pendants for the Flex 2

Due to the Fitbit Flex 2's small design, the actual tracker is also able to be housed in a variety of new wearable accessories created by the company. These include basic wristbands, fashionable bangles, and even necklaces. Fitbit will also be launching "designer collections" of new wearable accessories, including stainless steel bands and nylon bracelets that cost a more premium price, up to nearly $300.

The Fitbit Flex 2 is available for pre-order as a wristband in black, lavender, magenta, and navy for $99.95, and will launch in November. The Fitbit Charge 2 has a few more color options: black/silver, plum/silver, blue/silver, teal/silver, lavender/rose gold, and black/gunmetal, the latter two of which are considered "special editions." The Charge 2 is not yet up for pre-order, however, but those interested can opt-in for email notifications for when the new device will go on sale, presumably alongside the Flex 2 in the fall.

Article Link: Fitbit Announces Charge 2 With 4x Larger Display and Flex 2 With Swim Tracking

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The Charge 2 looks very nice and a nice improvement over the Charge (HR) which I had. I'm using the Surge these days and I like it a lot too.

That brown leather band for the new Charge 2 looks very nice and tempting too...

Reactions: chrismail627

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Automatic swimming tracking huh? Yeah, I don't know how accurate that's going to be...

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Oh gawd. Apple's now pushing its competitors to release all kinds of bands. Pretty soon, we'll have entire aisles of big box retailers devoted to bands.

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
It's cute watching these little companies trying to take on fashion like Apple.

Haha cute watching people who know nothing about other brands comment on them!! They are doing what apple do at less than a THIRD of the price, that just shows you how much Apple is ripping off their customers, Im preordering this, I sold my apple watch

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Both look like good updates to existing models. Kind of interested in the new Flex.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Fitbit is the largest wearable devices company in the world.
Doesn't change the fact that they're still a little company. Their quarterly results aren't even close to Apple's, and their market cap is 173 times smaller. That and they went from making cheap looking plastic fitness bands to fancy leather and rose gold bands similar to the Apple Watch. If they're so confident then why the change to copy a weaker-positioned Apple?

Reactions: ksnell

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
Haha cute watching people who know nothing about other brands comment on them!! They are doing what apple do at less than a THIRD of the price, that just shows you how much Apple is ripping off their customers, Im preordering this, I sold my apple watch

Agreed. Fitbit's devices are phenomenal. Love my Charge HR, looking forward to upgrading to this.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
I'm waiting to see what the Watch 2 brings. Ended up getting an Alta which I'm liking quite a bit, but there are things I'd like to see improved. I held off on HR with the thought they might do one like this. So I'll be looking at both the Watch 2 and the HR 2 and when we get to that point.

Reactions: Niacchus

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'll have to look into the Charge 2. I really like my Garmin Vivosmart, but a somewhat better display would be nice for notifications.

One of the best things about multi-day devices (like my Vivosmart) is it makes a really nice alarm clock. Vibrating on your wrist is a lot less jarring than an audio alarm. I usually set my Vivosmart 5-10 minutes ahead of my bedside alarm. Five days is enough to cover the work week, which is when I need an alarm (my Garmin has 11 day battery life).

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
The point was about the Apple Watch and wearable devices. In that segment, Fitbit is far larger and is the #1 in that market. Fitbit doesn't make phones or computers.

Now what are you on about? Your point was in response to me calling them a tiny company—they are a tiny company. And fashion, as for Pebble, is not their strong point. My comment stands. Number 1 in sales numbers and little profit is a precarious market position for a hardware company. Besides, you are counteracting a point I never made.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I really wanted to like Fitbit, pretty decent design, good iPhone app, low price (often subsidized by employer), and great customer service.

Thanks to generous employer subsidies, I owned several Fitbits: One, Flex, Charge HR, and Surge. Every single one of them, and I mean every single one, broke after 3 to 6 months of use. I didn't abuse them or anything. Heck, I don't exercise all that much aside from occassional hiking, skiing, swimming, running, basketball, and bike. But they all fell apart one way or another, mostly due having to remove the tracker from band or belt clip for charging. My wife had a couple of Fitbits and her's fell apart the same way.

The good news is that Fitbit's customer service always replaced devices covered in 1-year warranty without much questions. The bad news is that they all fell apart shortly after 1-year warranty.

In the end, I replaced Fitbit with Apple Watch. While more expense at first, my Apple Watch Sports look brand new after 16 months of use. It will likely look great when I replace it with Apple Watch 3 within about couple of years.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Seems like Fitbit are copying apple. Big fanfare and new device for such a minimal update, lacking lots of real features for wearable but oh look, interchangeable bands.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you were someone who is a serious swimmer, I would be interested to see how accurate the swim track feature is. Definitely a feature that could gain more attention if it serves well.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
The Flex 2 looks tempting. I need something to replace my breaking-every-3-or-4-months Jawbone UP2. I am on my 6th band now. They keep getting cheaper though every time I bring one back and order a replacement. :D I payed €180 for the first one, after refund number 5 I payed €40 for the last one. Lets see how long until it breaks apart.

I guess I would still wait for a Flex 3 since I need a vibrating sleep alarm. And the 5 days of battery life compared to the 10 days of the UP2 are pathetic.
[doublepost=1472497217][/doublepost]
Seems like Fitbit are copying apple. Big fanfare and new device for such a minimal update, lacking lots of real features for wearable but oh look, interchangeable bands.

My wife was always tempted to buy a Jawbone UP2 like the one I have. But the plastic look is just too bad for her. I think Apple started a nice trend so wearables are looking good finally. I don't see anything bad there.

Remember how Apple made other computer and accessories companies make bondi blue computers, printers and hard drive cases when they introduced the first iMac? :) Or how everybody now makes silver and gold laptops? Its great!

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
It's cute watching these little companies trying to take on fashion like Apple.

The lack of knowledge about Fitbit in your post is actually kind of impressive.
[doublepost=1472499125][/doublepost]
Man these look great. If they would sync with Apple Health I'd definitely buy one.

There's a great app for that. "Fitbit Sync". Works phenomenally. I think it costs $1.99.

Reactions: ZebraDude

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I give it to Fitbit! I really like the charge 2. I might have to pick one up.

Much better value than the current Apple watch. The only thing the Apple watch has is that you can store playlists, which is nice if you have wireless headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.