Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jessicaalba.jpg
Actress and businesswoman Jessica Alba has signed on to serve as a mentor on Apple's upcoming reality television show "Planet of the Apps," reports Variety. Alba joins actress Gwyneth Paltrow, hip hop artist will.i.am, and tech investor Gary Vaynerchuk, all of whom will also be acting as mentors and advisors to app developers.

Jessica Alba has starred in a number of movies and television shows, including Sin City, Fantastic Four, and Into the Blue. In 2012, Alba moved beyond acting and founded The Honest Company, devoted to selling non-toxic household goods. The Honest Company has grown steadily since 2012 and is valued at $1 billion.
"I started The Honest Company because I saw an opportunity in the market for a brand that spoke to conscious consumers and created safe and effective products for every need," said Alba said in a statement. "As a mentor on 'Planet of the Apps,' I'm looking forward to meeting entrepreneurs looking to address a problem with an innovative solution, and to help them realize their vision. I can't wait to see the ideas the app developers bring to the table."
Lightspeed Venture Partners, one of the initial investors in Snapchat, has also joined the show as a venture-capital partner. Lightspeed will spend $10 million to fund app development during the course of the show.

"Planet of the Apps" is described on a casting website as an unscripted reality television series focusing on apps and the developers who create them. The exact format and content of the show remain a mystery ahead of its 2017 launch, but advisors will offer developers chosen for the show "hands-on guidance" and "funding from top-tier VCs" to improve their apps. Apple plans to use the show to promote iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS apps and its App Stores.

Casting for "Planet of the Apps" began back in July and applications are still being accepted until September 21, with the series seeking up to 100 developers to participate. The inaugural season will take place in Los Angeles with filming beginning in late 2016.

Article Link: Actress Jessica Alba Joins Apple's 'Planet of the Apps' TV Show as a Mentor

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I can't imagine anything being more garbage than this show. What exactly is Apple hoping to accomplish with this?
[doublepost=1472575325][/doublepost]
Gosh. I hope they let Siri be a co-host too so she can bring her special brand of delightful humor to the show. :rolleyes:

Only if the band MotherFolk is included and Siri has to say it a bunch.

Reactions: attila and Huck

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I can't imagine anything being more garbage than this show. What exactly is Apple hoping to accomplish with this?

No idea. I am just sorry to see Gary Vaynerchuk in the team, I keep him in high regards. I guess he needs exposure.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Not only does she know nothing about apps but her company's behavior is anything but "Honest":
1) They reduced the amount of the active ingredient in its sunscreen without notice leading to customers getting severely burnt.
2) A Wall Street Journal investigation found their laundry detergent contains sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) a chemical common in mainstream soaps that Honest promised never to use.
3) Their organic infant formula is in fact not organic as it includes 11 synthetic ingredients not allowed in organic food by federal law.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.