Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following reports of exploding batteries in its latest smartphone, Samsung is expected to announce an "unprecedented" recall of the Galaxy 7 Note less than a month after it first debuted.

According to South Korea's Yonhap News Agency, an unnamed Samsung official says the company is conducting an investigation and is expected to announce the results this weekend or early next week. Samsung has indeed traced the explosions to the battery of the device and is in talks with Verizon and other U.S. business partners to figure out how to deal with the issue.

Samsung's solution may be to recall all Galaxy Note 7 devices that have been sold thus far, as the company has no plans to hide the result of its investigation.
"The most important thing is the safety of our customers and we don't want to disappoint our loyal customers," said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. [...]

"Products installed with the problematic battery account for less than 0.1 percent of the entire volume sold. The problem can be simply resolved by changing the battery, but we'll come up with convincing measures for our consumers," said the official.
The Galaxy Note 7 went on sale on August 19 and shortly after, reports began circulating about devices that exploded or caught on fire while charging. Images and videos of damaged Galaxy Note 7 devices have been circulating around the internet and have already led Samsung to delay shipments of the device. No injuries have been reported thus far.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 features a 2,560×1,440 Super AMOLED dual curved display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 quad-core 64-bit 14nm processor, 4GB of RAM, 12-megapixel Dual Pixel rear-facing camera, wireless charging, an iris scanner, IP68-rated waterproofing, and a 3,500 mAh battery.

Update: Samsung has officially stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7 and issued a voluntary recall for existing devices.

Article Link: Samsung Recalls New Galaxy Note7 Due to Exploding Batteries [Updated]

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Following reports of exploding batteries in its latest smartphone, Samsung is expected to announce an "unprecedented" recall of the Galaxy 7 Note less than a month after it first debuted.
Wow, that's pretty good that after a month of releasing it, that they're recalling it for this obviously major problem. A lot better than GM and the 10-year ignition problem.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Gotta say, good on 'em. This has to be a hard decision because the Note 7 is getting universal praise and high sales. Couple this with undercutting Apple by getting it to the market before the iPhone 7. But good on 'em for seeing a problem and taking a huge loss and trying to get out in front of this thing.

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
Burned my fingers a week ago at my charging Huawei Watch. It was very very hot! Even the steel strap was hot. I have to return it because I'm not that confident with this in my mind.

Strange thing: can't find anything about it on Google...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.