1993-2014 Data Shows Gun Deaths Plunged as Firearm Ownership Soared

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 13, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yes you will kill the messenger over the message that you don't like.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Good to see it has declined, but we still have a problem that other developed countries don't have.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this is Murica, we have more of everything :D

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I thought congress blocked the CDC from doing gun research? How is this information current.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

it is impossible to prove why it has gone down it is not like you can interview people and ask them Hey Have you done less violence because more people own guns? we have also seen mass shootings murder suicide accidental shootings and such go up.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2016 ---
    they did cause the NRA did not like it.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Also the increase in the number of guns out there comes primarily from existing gun owners and the number gun owners has actually dropped, they just buy more of them. I noticed the Breitbart article was careful to mention the number of guns sold not the number of gun owners, I'm pretty sure they were trying to hide that since it is quite an inconvenient thing when that drop in crime coincides with a drop in the percentage of gun owners, a good guy with 1 gun is no more effective at stopping a crime than a good guy with 10 guns.

And based on what we see in other developed countries it isn't surprising to see crime rates drop as the number of gun owning households drop. I bet if one person had 300 million guns and no one else had any gun crime would mostly go away, so it's not the total number of guns out there that seems to have the effect but the number of people with guns.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Certainly, there's no direct correlation between the number of guns in the United States and the number of gun deaths. An important question remains about how guns influenced this decline. Crime has been dropping since the mid-1970s, so did guns keep that decline from being sharper? Or, did guns actually help depress crime, including crime that might have been linked to gun deaths?

I know the respective camps have their own answers prepared, but we simply don't know this.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

America still has more gun deaths on average than any other western developed country. It's also had some of the worst mass shootings in its history since 2014.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    More like since the 90's. From what I've seen, crime was on a steep incline during the 70's and 80's, peaking around '95, before hitting a steep decline.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

good guys with guns are keeping the bad guys in check..................... :p

perhaps we are somewhat "evolving" into a less violent nation, but the media sure as hell is not interested in that.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    To some extent, maybe. It seems that while everyday crime has plummeted tremendously, we seem to have made this weird tradeoff where that low crime rate is punctured periodically by sudden acts of mass violence.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If it bleeds, it leads is a journalistic cliche. But, you should see the hits on gross crime stories. You guys blame the media for selling the potato chips you're shoving into your gourd all day.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

who doesn't like potato chips? I mean can you eat just one? really?

we all fall prey to click bait my friend . we are all prejudiced one way or another, it just so happens I am right and you of course are wrong :D

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Spectacular acts almost always change perceptions.

Look at the data, what's likely going to kill us? A jihadi armed with an SKS, or the cheeseburger hoarked down for lunch?

If we really wanted to save American lives, TSA would make people walk to work and slap that mocha frappuccino out of our collective tubby fingers.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2016 ---
    That's not what you said last night.

15. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The number of gun owners is on the decline.

Individual gun owners are buying more weapons.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

last night was private & I can admit to being wrong in private, we are now in the interweebs and the interweebs are serious business :D
    white chocolate mocha FTW.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah, I left the city around the turn of the century, wavering for about five or seven years before that during a period of increasing telecommuting, and finally one of the bad guys said hey you know what, we can stop shooting up the place now because i'm pretty sure somehow that crazy leftie bee managed to get away.

It's all about me, baby. Me and my more or less only dented lucky streak!

true but no more talking chocco until we see the mole recipe materialize.

I don't know about that first part, the second part about evolving might be true and i hope so, but that last part there on the media, you are 100% right.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am always 100% right when I am right :p, and that first part was sarcasm. :D media treats us like mushrooms, feed us crap & keep's us in the dark, well at least the media I disagree with :p

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I moderate on two firearms websites; seventeen years, now. Total membership (with a little overlap) is 370,000. Some 10,000 active posters (posted within the recent month). Generally, far more visitors than logged-in members.

We have a steady influx of newbies who are beginners in shooting and hunting.

Firearms training schools are increasing in their volume of business. Many of the students--particularly the women--are first-time gun owners.

As near as I can tell from reading, first-time ownership is highest for handguns. For long guns, many newbies for self-defense rifles and shotguns.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 21.41.19.png

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/compareyears/194/proportion_of_households_with_firearms

21. Robisan macrumors 6502

Correlation ≠ causation

Also, bad methodology comparing different types of measurements - homicide rate per 100,000 vs absolute number of guns.

Also, too, the US population has grown considerably from 1994 to 2013 - from 263 million to 315 million. A proper measurement of guns would be:

1994: 0.73 guns/pp
    2013: 1.13 guns/pp

Increased, but not the dramatic "ballooned" claimed by the Breitbart half-wits.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What seems key is that while the number of firearms has increased in dramatic fashion, the rate of homicides has declined. IOW, more guns does not equal more homicides by gun.

One of the major lies by the BS artists of the anti-gun idiots is, "Guns are so easy to acquire, nowadays." Garbage. Before the 1968 GCA, after your check cleared, the postman would deliver your assault weapon to your residence--no Form 4473 required; no FBI check.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Has gun ownership risen, or gun owners just purchasing more guns?

New gun ownership would be the real statistic. Unfortunately, I think not having a national gun registry prevents us from knowing. Correct me if I'm wrong, not 100% of that.

24. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Admission. I dont have any numbers to necessarily disprove your statement. But...think with me...

Consider the advancement in news outlets today compared to 10+ years ago. The access we all have to news and news from all around the world has grown. We are more aware of what takes place in the world now than ever before.

I don't think your statement is necessarily accurate. Mass shootings I would think is up... murder, suicide, accidental shootings not sure. You just hear about it now and didn't then (as much).

Food for thought.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You have no idea how easy guns are to acquire in poor areas.