Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the official launch of iOS 10 tomorrow, apps designed for the new operating system update have started hitting the iOS App Store, including those that will be available in the Messages App Store.

Rock-Paper-Scissors [Direct Link], for example, a Messages app that allows two people to play a classic game of Rock, Paper, Scissors right in Messages, is now in the App Store. It is not, however, showing up in the dedicated Messages App Store, which will presumably launch tomorrow. Other apps for Messages, like Snappy Browser, are also starting to become available.

ios10apps-800x570.jpg

The Messages App Store is an app storefront located within the Messages app, accessible on a device running iOS 10 by tapping the app icon, opening the app drawer (tap the icon that looks like four circles) and then choosing the "+" store icon.

Using the Messages App Store, iOS 10 users will be able to install a huge variety of sticker packs and apps to enhance the chat experience in Messages. Stickers are used a lot like emoji but can be animated and stuck on top of chat bubbles, photos, and more, while apps can do things like offer weather updates, a Safari browser for looking things up without using Messages, provide collaborative food ordering tools, and more.

iOS 10 offers a huge number of new features for developers, and in addition to Messages apps, we'll also be seeing apps that can take advantage of the new features in Maps and apps that offer third-party Siri support. Expect to see significant app updates coming out throughout the week, leading with tons of app releases tomorrow.

Article Link: First iOS 10 Apps Start Hitting the App Store

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Really excited for apps with rich notifications. Using Facebook Messenger outside of the app with true message context will be great.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I know there are many here who consider the additions to Messages to be a bit of a gimmick. I was much in the same boat when watching the keynote.

However in retrospect, this is absolutely massive. iMessage is already a great application — essentially free texts/MMS/videos — but allowing third-party apps is going to be utterly huge and will really lock people into the ecosystem.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Even though I've been on the beta since the beginning, I feel like I've only been halfway to iOS 10 because the third-party apps haven't yet been available. I'm really excited to see what developers do for Siri, Maps, and Messages!

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
While I have no intention of upgrading my iPhone this year I have to say I've been looking forward to this update for a long time.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
And so it begins... Hope it won't be too flooded with nonsense like this.

Actually this is great. My girlfriend and I use this technique to make decisions at times. Now when we're both at work we can decide who's word is last on what's for dinner or what we're doing on the weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.