Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of macOS Sierra today, Apple also updated its line of iWork apps, including Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. The new update for each app introduces the same real-time collaboration feature, in beta form, brought to the iOS versions of each app last week.

Using real-time collaboration, users are able to edit one document in any iWork app simultaneously, no matter if they're using a Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iCloud.com. Within Pages, Keynote, and Numbers, live updates of each user's cursor and a list of document editors keep everyone up-to-date on the progress of any document, spreadsheet, or presentation.

iwork-for-mac-800x259.jpg
What's New in Version 6.0
- Real-time collaboration (feature in beta)
- Edit a document with others at the same time in Pages on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iCloud.com
- Share your document publicly or with specific people
- See who else is in a document
- See participants' cursors as they're editing

- Open and edit Pages '05 documents
- Use tabs to work with multiple documents in one window
- Wide color gamut image support
In Keynote, there's a new "Keynote Live" feature that lets users present a slideshow that anyone can follow from a Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iCloud.com. Pages and Keynote also both feature support for opening and editing Pages and Keynote '05 documents.

Apple's line of iWork apps are free to users who have recently purchased a new Mac or iOS device. Otherwise, each iWork app for Mac is available for $19.99 while each iWork app for iOS is available for $9.99.

Pages for macOS [Direct Link]
Keynote for macOS [Direct Link]
Numbers for macOS [Direct Link]

Article Link: iWork Apps for macOS Sierra Updated With Real-Time Collaboration

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
As great as real-time collaboration sounds, I wish there were more features than that for a .0 version.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Has anyone found a complete list of new features introduced with this version?

Still waiting for Apple to return critical features deleted in Pages 5.x, and, if they haven't come back yet, hoping Sierra doesn't break Pages 4.3.

Reactions: sracer

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Shame Numbers feels like a toy in comparison to Excel. Have they still not added pivot tables?

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
i would like to see a references tool similar to what has been built into MS Word. With that feature, a lot of students, their parents and schools will no longer have to give additional money to Microsoft on top of what they are already giving to Apple. That is money that can be put into a savings account for rainy days.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Pivot Tables
I need them
not colored labels
not even in a horse stable
I need Pivot tables

or something like a table that pivot like a multi dimensional cube.

Reactions: RoelJuun

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Love me some iWork updates.

Hoping a major functionality and speed update is around the corner, particularly for iOS.

Peeetski

macrumors member
May 14, 2014
Hey this works with ElCap too, it got activated the other day and I was running it fine. Maybe a bit overdue but it's a great feature. Happily able to drop google docs now :D

Reactions: RobFog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.