1GB RAM, have you felt it yet?

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I was wondering how has the doubling of RAM affected general usability of the iPhone?

Have you noticed obvious improvements without looking for them?

How many tabs or apps can you have open at the same time now without them needing to reload when you switch to them?

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I haven't noticed anything on a regular basis compared to my 4S. I assume I'll feel it as soon as I edit long videos in iMovie or stuff like that.

What I do know is that the phone feels faster. Due to RAM? I don't think so.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I haven't noticed anything on a regular basis compared to my 4S. I assume I'll feel it as soon as I edit long videos in iMovie or stuff like that.

What I do know is that the phone feels faster. Due to RAM? I don't think so.
For example if you have 8 tabs opened in Safari, with websites loaded, then open couple of tabs in Chrome or check email and open a GPS app in iPhone 4 once you'd go back to Safari those webpages had to be reloaded because they were kicked out of the memory.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I've not felt any constraints with using my iPhone 5 at all. The puppy is fast and does everything I want it too.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
For example if you have 8 tabs opened in Safari, with websites loaded, then open couple of tabs in Chrome or check email and open a GPS app in iPhone 4 once you'd go back to Safari those webpages had to be reloaded because they were kicked out of the memory.
Well, that happened with the 4S as well. Tried the following:

Opened Safari. Opened 6 tabs with 6 different desktop versions of newspapers' websites. Went to Instagram and looked at the TL. Made a couple of likes. A whatsapp message just came in so swapped to it and replied. I then went to Mail and moved a couple of mails to the proper mail box. Went back to safari. Another mail came in so went and replied. Went back to Safari again. All tabs were there and they didn't need to reload.

I guess that's pretty much what you were asking!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Well, that happened with the 4S as well. Tried the following:

Opened Safari. Opened 6 tabs with 6 different desktop versions of newspapers' websites. Went to Instagram and looked at the TL. Made a couple of likes. A whatsapp message just came in so swapped to it and replied. I then went to Mail and moved a couple of mails to the proper mail box. Went back to safari. Another mail came in so went and replied. Went back to Safari again. All tabs were there and they didn't need to reload.

I guess that's pretty much what you were asking!
Yep, that's what I was asking for, thanks!

That's impressive!

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I was wondering how has the doubling of RAM affected general usability of the iPhone?

Have you noticed obvious improvements without looking for them?

How many tabs or apps can you have open at the same time now without them needing to reload when you switch to them?
Can't remember any but it is an incredible upgrade for me from the iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.