1st Amendment victory: prof who called for ‘muscle’ to remove reporter charged with assault

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 25, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

3. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I don't recall her making physical contact with him so calling it an assault sounds wrong.
    Still not someone who should be within a million miles of teaching journalists in a university.

4. cfedu, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

She did, first 42 seconds of the video. She should be in Jail

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

This has nothing to do with 1st amendment rights. If she had called campus police to deal with the reporter, then it would have been all good. The problem was she called for Guido and Rocko to compliment his camera. "It would be a shame if something were to... happen to it."

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Call the police for what? To arrest a reporter for exercising his 1st Amendment rights?

This has everything to do with 1st amendment rights.

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I agree that the campus police would most likely have told her that as well. But IF they told him to leave, it would have all been legit. The issue is her act of calling for thugs to bully someone. Right or wrong, her calling in the goon squad immediately places her in the wrong.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Regardless of what side one is on, they were right to charge this woman.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I understand your point and agree with it, but free speech isn't the problem; freedom of the press is.

Apologies for being pedantic.

I'm not entirely sure here. If she called the campus police, could they infringe on the reporter's right to freedom of the press? 49 seconds into the clip posted by @cfedu you see the assault, and moreso, the disturbance that if the campus police were called to clear, it would be Click that would be removed, not the reporter or cameraman.

BL.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Hey, you got a Canadian siding with you, does he hate America as much as you do? Or is it just the people in it?

11. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

That doesn't rhyme. ;)

12. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Hello Sarah, you there? Sarah are you trying to speak?

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The Proff is OG.o_O The campus po-po would have a fight on their hands with her.:D

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

As I understand it she can see your house from Alaska. Also, she hates Muslims almost as much as you guys, almost.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

She's definitely not a communications teacher. Certainly not where journalism is concerned.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

She ain't OG! She din't do no fake fist pumps and I ain't heard no yo momma jokes! L'il man LaQuan down the street can take her out! :D

BL.

17. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

And why do you hate white women so much?

18. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What is my "side?"

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

this side of the border. ;)

BL.

20. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Good vs evil, I think he put us on the evil side. He might be part Palin, so you can't be to hard on him, he says he can see my house from Alaska which is 3000 miles from me.

I hope he did not mean your side of the bed, we would have a real serious problem.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

One clip I saw had the students chanting "Go! Go! Go!" at the reporter, meaning "leave". I think we might have a supplementary chapter for "What's the Matter With Kansas?", moving on to Missouri.

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Actually I said "As I understand it she can see your house from Alaska". Perhaps one should learn to read before making such comparisons to Palin.

23. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Did she tell you this? What other stuff has she told you?

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Those are good questions. On getting the charges to stick, I get the feeling that the prosecution is jockeying for a plea, but it's likely that Click will face a fine and probation.

On retaining her job at MU, it depends on her contract. Conceivably, if she's convicted of a class 3 misdemeanor, she may be able to retain her position, but she'll be on probation for the rest of her career at MU.

MU's journalism school has already rescinded her appointment.

Ultimately, I hope that the video of Click becomes part of J-school curriculum. Tim Tai's responses about his rights to cover an event and her failings should be shown to student journalists so they know their rights and how to respond.