1st Gen iphone getting free txt and calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sewbitchy, Apr 27, 2012.

1. sewbitchy macrumors newbie

Ok so heres the weirdest thing ever. I got this 1st gen iphone from a friend. it was stuck on the connect to itunes screen. I tried to connect it to my laptop and no luck to unlock it. Well I had assumed there was no sim in it. (DUH why didnt I check? I have no idea) Anyway I tried to get a backup sim at the store but then they said I need to change my plan bull bull bull just for a extra sim so i left without doing anything to the phone. (im an att customer already)
    Ok so this morning the phone rings with an 888 number when its still locked and i havn't touched it! I'm tripping now. So NOW I check if there's a sim and there is. So now I connect it to my laptop and bam it unlocks. Asks if i want to set it up as a new phone or restore from my current phones BU. I say new phone and it activates and unlocks. And it totally works! I can make and receive calls and txt. its on edge, and has no data. So I ask my friend ( who isnt that tech savvy) what the deal was and all she remembers is that she tried to get a sim for it before and she thinks the store put one of the stores demo phone cards in this phone by mistake. ( i think maybe they were going to attempt to just unlock it) Now if that's true then it makes you wonder why people wouldn't go around swiping the sims out of the store phones. And don't u think att would figure this out and disconnect it? Or maybe not?

And I know its not on my account because I checked and theres no changes.

2. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Thats why Apple Store demo phone sim trays have no pinholes cant take the sim without the whole phone