1st Gen. iPhone owner - I don't feel special anymore T.T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakk2809, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jakk2809 macrumors member

I'm a first generation iPhone owner and when that was the only iPhone, I felt special. Everyone else had flippers or sliders and I had my awesome touch screen (no moving parts!). But now that Apple is selling the 3G for a lot cheaper (although ever 2 years it will be more expensive), I see a lot of 3G iPhones out there and I don't feel special anymore.

I'm very happy for Apple for them selling lots of iPhones, I mean, that's the point of a company, to sell as many products as possible.

Does anyone else feel like this?

2. Elrian macrumors newbie

Yes i did feel like this that's why i gave my old Iphone to a friend and got me the new one!

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I miss the look and feel of the first gen. I bought the 3g for just that reason. Its 3g capabilities. I think the original was built better and looked way better. But i am on the go in my town alot and we have great 3g service. I know what you mean about feeling you had a special phone. When i used to be somewhere and use it people would say " Man is that the iphone? let me play with it please" and now they are everywhere. Its great for apple but the iphone doesn't have the same mystique. But it is still hands down the best UI on a cell phone ever.

4. Linuss macrumors regular

Oh well, I didn't buy the iPhone to be special.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

It will do just what the Motorola Razr did. When the silver razr came out it was the best phone ever. Only AT&T had it and it was only silver. Very few people has it. After a while the black one came out then the other networks got them in all kinds of colors and then everyone had one. They went from being 500 to .99 with a 2 year contract. Iphone will probably do the same eventually.

7. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I completely agree and actually feel very strongly about it. When the first iPhone was released, not only was it a "luxury" item, but the whole experience around purchasing one was amazing. Now that the 3G is out...Apple has just whored it into another cheap "selling plot" for AT&T. Don't get me wrong...I'm all for Apple selling as many as they can, but not when they have to cheapen the product (by quality as well, not just price) and they also remove the unique experience of purchasing it. The original iPhone could be activated in home and it was a unique experience doing so. Not anymore. The original iPhone was made of much better material then the 3G as well. It just doesn't feel special owning the iPhone now, and it has nothing to do with the fact that everyone has a 3G iPhone. Granted...the GPS and 3G features are nice, but any time I find myself holding a friend's original generation iPhone and then I pull out my 3G in comparison, I get this sad feeling inside....:(

Once again just for clarity...I'm all for Apple getting a ton of product out there, and I hope they dominate the phone market. It just sucks when they had it so good the first time around and now they've taken the "Apple purchasing experience" out of the iPhone and just turned it into a way of making as much cash as possible.

8. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Thats corporate America for you. Money Money and more Money

9. kidwithshirt macrumors member

my family just got cellphones for the first time in its life and after 2 weeks i ditched my lg shine to get an iphone

my dad said i am just trying to be cool and impress the kids with shiny gadgets, but i just want to have a phone that does a lot of things

so far i use it as a dictionary, a metronome, a tuner, a mp3, a phone, a camera, woh.

10. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

lol I ditched my shine, too.

11. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

well now you gotta upgrade, and get the latest greatest gadget.

(the grass is always greener on the other side)

right, and you also use it to be cool and impress the kids

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Stop comparing the iPhone to the RAZR. It (RAZR) was so popular at first because it was the first of the extra slim cell phones we use today and because it was a status symbol. The reason it became a piece of junk so fast was because of its crap interface and lack of features. The iPhone is just the opposite of that. I know because I had a RAZR v3i when Apple and Motorola were still doing their partnership deal, so I had an iTunes like MP3 player, but other than that, it was a POS. Now I have an iPhone 3G and I think if Apple keeps doing such a great job with it, it will become one of the most greatly used portable devices in the world.

13. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

People are still in awe when I have my iPhone 3G out and are constantly asking to see it and play with it.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Time to look for another high price gadget to raise self-esteem. May I suggest an overpriced shirts to go with some man purse?

15. kidwithshirt macrumors member

lol iBeer is definitely the crowd pleaser.

16. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I have a 3G iPhone, and about ten of my good friends have iPhones. About half of them have the original iPhone. To me, it makes no difference. Aside from GPS and the faster connection, to me it's an iPhone! I was surprised the other day when a friend of mine with a original iPhone showed me a Youtube video on his phone - I said "Wow. That's cool that you can get Youtube on EDGE. Nice!" To me, all of them are so similar, it shouldn't make any difference to you. Like I said, the only real difference (aside from looks) is the GPS and ability to use 3G networks.

17. xploit macrumors regular

I was saying the exact same thing when the 3G phone came out. I called it budget and you should of seen the negative feedback! I too am torn. On the one hand I definitely want Apple to sell more product but in this case they have lowered the bar to get the product into more pockets. Clearly the 3G is not made nearly as well as the original. I have many friends that have the 3G and a lot of them never leave the house without their charger. Buying the original was such a great experience as well and I wont even get into the included accessories. I didn't get the iPhone to feel or be special but I did get the iPhone because it was exceptional. My only hope is that Apple will see that there are those that are willing to pay more for top quality and offer up a "pro" version with all the goodness that the BUDGET 3G is lacking.

X-

18. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

My prediction- next phone apple releases will be cheaper and half of the world will have that phone, and till just keep going until something better comes to our attention

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

True but you cant say you didn't see that one coming. The iPhone is gonna go the way of the iPod people...start getting used to it

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is sad that you need a phone to make you feel special. Deal with it.

21. DigMe macrumors 6502

Hilarious. So you're saying that you're not enjoying your fashion accessory...err...I mean status symbol...err...I mean phone anymore?

22. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

when the launch of the 3g was nearing i was very anxious to get rid of my iphone and get a 3g model... when they were released and a few of my friends got them it made it even worse. I was ready to go trade up, however i didnt like the data being $10 more a month so I didnt... now that it has been a few months i was actually riding to work this morning thinking to myself how i was glad i didnt get a new 3g model and stayed with my "old school" model

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Old school FTW. Sometimes I wish I had a GSM old 80s phone I could whip out. Wouldn't I be cool then :p

Found one
    http://analoghero.com/brick_phone

24. Reefbone macrumors regular

When I go the 3G iPhone I thought I was joining an elite club... I soon found out the club had disolved. I've had the 3G since launch and I think I've got a toal of 3 'Oh Gee' comments.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I like the original iphone but I guess I'm one of the few who like the design of the iphone 3G just as well. I don't look at it as more cheaply made at all.

I hate to say it, but the only way you'll be able to recapture that "special" feeling is to purchase a competing product that does everything the iphone does and more, and looks noticeably different. I think iphones will become more and more accessible as time goes on. Once the exclusive deal with AT&T expires they will be everywhere.

When I'm on the subway amidst a sea of ipods, I always notice the lone non-apple mp3 player and I wonder, who is really "thinking different" these days?