1st Gen iPhone Owners. Is A2DP and MMS Enough for you to Upgrade to 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by =MuLti-CeLL=, Mar 17, 2009.

?

Pick One Please.

1. Yes. I'll be upgrading soon to 3G.

10.6%
  2. No. I believe there is still going to be a new iPhone and therefore I'm waiting.

72.7%
  3. Comment in Post.

16.7%
  1. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Or will you be waiting to see if a new iPhone is announced in June?

2. FetalSage macrumors regular

I'll probably be waiting to see if they announce a new iPhone in June, but the A2DP and MMS is somewhat tempting since I've been wanting to upgrade.

But I can wait.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

4. halcyon-days macrumors newbie

I think i'll be waiting for the next release of the iphone before upgrading. At this point the 3G iphone has been released for some time. I'd regret buying a 3G at this stage only for a new version to be released this year which may yet happen, who knows :confused:

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I won't be upgrading to the 3G (2008 model)… but I will be upgrading to the 2009 release.

So far my 1st Gen iPhone is just fine.
    :)

6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

To be honest I think most people will wait. With a decent update like this a new phone will be amazing!

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I think many first gen owners who havent already upgraded to the 3G, will be upgrading to the new iPhone in June anyway.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well let's see. this will be released "summer," i.e. simultaneously with the next gen iphone. So upgrading to the 3G now makes no sense, seeing as I wouldn't get those features until the time when I could buy a newer model anyway.

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I'll be waiting, I also don't believe it's a hardware limitation, I know what they "said." Time will only tell...

There have been plenty of times that older hardware was capable of performing new features after a quick hack.

10. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I'm planning on buying a 3G sometime later this year. I figure they'll have an improved model for the summer. I'll probably go with that unless it's very uninteresting and I'll go for a refurbed or used 1st gen 3G.

I am disappointed there's no MMS on the 1st gen phone. I wonder what the reasoning is.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I voted yes since my 2-year contract is up and my 1st Gen is pretty banged scratch wise.

Also, I have started to find myself needing 3G speeds at times and since AT&T has started to degrade a bit EDGE service, I think its time to jump.

12. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

13. aok1975 macrumors 6502

the iPhone 3g does not have a2dp or mms. the poll should be is 3.0 enough to make 1st gen owners upgrade.

14. NightStorm macrumors 68000

:confused:

If you buy an iPhone 3G today, those features will be available when 3.0 is released. If you keep your 1st generation iPhone, you won't get the features when 3.0 is released. I believe the original poster is asking if 1st generation owners are going to go buy a 3G now, or wait to see if a new piece of hardware is released.

Me, I'm waiting until June/July to see if anything happens with the hardware before purchasing.

15. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i got my iphone the day they went on sale almost two years ago. i thought about the 3G, but prefered the first gen. i'll hold out to see what's announced and likely purchase it.

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I want to know why the 1st gen can't run mms. What's so different between apple mms and swirly?

It's the only feature I really miss (ok, I've missed forward and copy & paste a few times) but there's no way I'm going to get a 3G/new phone just for mms. If I've lived without it this long I'll deal.

17. njpodder macrumors regular

No, it is not enough for me to want to upgrade. I will hold out and see if we get a new hardware revision this year. Honestly (and let the flaming begin), aesthetically, I prefer the 1st gen iPhone to the 3G. I like the shape of the back much better, and I know this is a completely crazy thing to notice, but the black housing area around the screen on the 3G is a lot wider than the 1st gen, and for some reason, that bothers me like nails on a chalkboard. I see it like buying a flat panel TV with iether a huge black frame around it, or a very thin less noticeable one. Everyone wants the less noticeable one, and imo, the 3G having that extra space around the sides of the screen makes it look cheaper. Add to that I really don't care about GPS features and while 3G is definately nicer than Edge, it was not a big enough reason to buy the 3G before my 2 years were up on the 1st gen. If by September, they have new hardware, I am upgrading definately, if not, then I will still probably go to 3G then.

18. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

You're correct.

I kinda felt like they were saying, in a way, 1st gen owners can upgrade to our 3G model now if they want these features when they are released.

Ya know, hint hint, go ahead and upgrade to our latest and greatest, hint hint, don't expect anything new (hardware wise) with 3.0 release.

I hope I'm wrong. :D

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I was already planning on upgrading to the new iPhone whenever it's announced. At that point, however, I'll decide which device I want - the current iPhone 3G or the next model.

My original iPhone does fine as of now.

20. The Phazer macrumors 68030

My 2G contract runs out in May - I can't see any reason why I wouldn't stick it out all of two months for potentially superior hardware. Especially given the 3.0 firmware probably won't be released until June anyway.

The MMS thing does rankle a little, but I'll have to put up with it for four weeks at best.

Phazer

21. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

If a new phone is released in July that is not aesthetically pleasing to me, i.e. full metal back, for example, I shall not upgrade and will happily keep my 1st generation phone.

As another poster commented in another thread, Apple is artifically limiting the features to encourage 2.5g users to upgrade. It won't work with me, so unless Apple deliver on the hardware I will not upgrade.

Jude

22. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Apple just wants you to upgrade...it's basic marketing strategy. It will push the 1st generation users to go out and buy the next one for these official features.

Anyway, I am up for an upgrade on my Blackberry Curve in April, which makes me tempted to get a 3G iPhone right away (I always upgrade on upgrade day). The one I have now is under a family plan with my relatives; it's basically my home phone. I'm hoping the new iPhone has the look and the features; I was a fan of the 1st gen and metal. I also liked the 3G. Now, I just want something to match my new Macbook Unibody I will be buying soon.

23. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I won't be upgrading from my first gen until I can get a 32GB iPhone. Hopefully Apple will return to the scratch-proof metal back of the original iPhone.

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Scratch-proof? It could scratch. There's no way they can go back to metal with the number of antennas that are in the iPhone.

25. Tom Dunne macrumors newbie

I certainly will be holding off upgrading my 1st Gen iPhone until June/July timeframe.

More so because of the fact that 8Gb is too small for me, but the new features of 3.0 certainly will make the purchase that bit better. :)