1st Gen iPhone to be deactivated once you buy a 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aditghai, Jun 11, 2008.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Cnet Crave had an interesting FAQ
    Q: Let's say I bought my iPhone last year and I want the 3G iPhone. Can I give my old iPhone to my sister or sell it on eBay?

A:No, once an existing iPhone user activates service for an iPhone 3G, their first-generation handset will be unusable as a phone. You won't be able to replace it with another AT&T SIM card and use it to make calls. This also means that you can't buy an old iPhone on eBay and expect to activate it on AT&T's network. You can, however, use it as a media player and a Wi-Fi device for browsing the Web.

Is this true?
    I sold mine on eBay(Unlocked and Jailbroken). So will the buyer be able to use it?

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

3. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

thats the biggest load of crap I have ever read. WTF is that guy thinking ?

Imagine how many iPhone would be bricked if that happens ? Apple/AT&T doesnt own your iPhone. YOU OWN IT ! YOU PAID FRCKNG FULL PRICE FOR IT !!!

I hate dumb answers like that.

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

that's what i was thinking.

i unlocked and jailbroke my phone before i sold it anyways...

6. Lopes macrumors 6502

That faq answer is bull*****. Just like any other phone, you pop a new sim in and it'll be good to go. Only exception with the iphone is that the new owner will probably have to activate it iTunes before it'll work.

7. xanatos macrumors regular

i dont now why no one has mentioned that theres a law that forces cell phone companies to unlock there phones after like 90 days or something right??

I got my old phone unlocked, after being asked why by the service rep (none of his business its mine right!)

so why hasnt this been brought up anymore or was that issue axed and solved???

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I don't know who Cnet Crave is, but I sure hope someone is not paying them to say wrong things like that.

If you want to be wrong on the internet about the iPhone come here and do it for free like the rest of us.

9. meagain macrumors 68030

10. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

What an idiot. I think what he meant to say was that since the SIM card is now in a different phone, then the old one is unusable unless activated with a different account.

still...the gene pool needs some serious clean-up.

11. PatrickF macrumors 6502

O2 in the UK makes it clear that you can pass your 1st gen iPhone on to a friend for them to sign up to an O2 iPhone tariff.

Of course most people will just unlock the phone and use it with whichever tariff they're on.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/existingiphonecustomers

12. alexboy45 macrumors regular

I spoke to O2 yesturday. what they have said is that you have to get a new sim card. once the old iphone detects the new sim you have to go through the activation like you have to do when the iPhone is new. this is with o2 i am not to sure about at&t.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Don't need 2 iPhones!

We want to make sure you find a good home for your existing iPhone once you upgrade. If you've a friend or family member already on an eligible O2 tariff, they'll be able to transfer to one of our new tariffs for iPhone. If they're not already with O2 or on an eligible O2 tariff, they could get one of our new iPhone Pay & Go SIM cards

13. markym07931 macrumors regular

but that is like saying..

ooh.. you've upgraded from a powerbook to a macbookpro, which you paid full price for, but we're gonna disable it, so you can't do anything with your old powerbook..

i smell BS...