1st gen iPod nano 4GB - 'Ripping' or File Recovery

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Meldar, May 16, 2008.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

Hi -

I've got an iPod nano, 1st generation 4GB, and it's full of music. In fact, it works flawlessly although the battery life leaves a bit to be desired.

My problem is that my MacBook's hard disk recently got totally physically destroyed and I had no backup for reasons I don't really want to talk about - thus I have lost 16GB of music, including about $80 in purchases, which bugs me.

Now, much of it was obtained from friends who'd be happy to give it again, however, I've got 3.75GB on my iPod that I simply want to put into my new MacBook hard disk, when I get it.

I don't see a way to though. Currently I'm using a first-gen MacBook (the other one in the house) with fully updated Tiger 10.4, and get no option to copy my iPod to the library.

It's a Mac-formatted iPod, which bugs me a bit since I KNOW there's a hidden folder called ipod_control which I can access and copy on a Windows machine - it won't recognize it as a disk, since it's a Mac-formatted iPod. -.-

This is hard to explain, and frustrating too - I thank you for bearing with me thus far and in advance for your help.

Basically, I want to take the 3.75GB of music off said iPod and transfer it, however indirectly, to the new MacBook hard drive I am going to get.

Any and all help is appreciated - Thanks!

2. Seanasaur macrumors member

You too? Geez, this HDD failure thing must be a freaking epidemic.

Anyways, I'm in the same boat as you right now. Nearly all my music has been ripped from my CD collection (no loss there), but I never backed up any of the videos or iPod games I purchased from iTunes (close to $400 worth).

I'm pretty confident, however, that iTunes is capable of transferring purchases from an iPod to a new library. I'm sure you'd need to authorize whatever system you're using first, but iTunes should ask you if you want to transfer any purchases as soon as you connect your iPod.

This is what I'm banking on, otherwise I'll have to go shopping around for a program that will do this. I know they exist, I just don't really feel like paying for one.

I hope this helps ease your mind a bit.

3. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

Thanks it does; thing is very few of the songs on my iPod are purchases.

I hope I can make it work, if not I'll just have to hunt around and find them, and not have them in my library/not be able to sync my iPod.

Oh well, guess that's what I get for not backing up my hard disk and then getting it scratched. :|