1st Gen Mac Pro nVidia 8800GT upgrade works in Windows (BootCamp), but not OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by icceric, Jan 6, 2009.

1. icceric macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone - This is my first post.

I purchased my trusty ol' mac pro towards the end of 2006. This week I purchased the 1st Gen NVIDIA 8800GT upgrade card from the Apple store. Got it today and was on the tele several hours with AppleCare trying to sort it all out. The computer will start with the card in, but my ACD (connected to the MP via ADC - DVI converter) will not power on... neither automatically or manually. The card does however operate normally (and quite fantastically I should add) in Windows XP on the same Mac Pro (via BootCamp installation).

I installed the Leopard Graphics Updater 1.0 after a fresh install and upgrade to 10.5.2. Restarted, then shut down and added the card and when I power it on, the monitor never turns on and the fan (on the video card) just runs full blast. So I threw the old card (7300) back in and started up, set the startup disk for Windows XP, then pulled the old card and added the 8800 again and booted into Windows. It's been running great all night.

I have found little to no info on anything similar... so I am hoping maybe someone here would know any tricks.

I also reset PRAM, and reset the SMU via the button on the mobo.

Applecare rep is sending me an app to run and send them back the results.

Any ideas?

Your attention is GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,
    Eric

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Are you certain you got the correct version of the 8800GT? Remember, there is one for the original Mac Pro and a different one for the 2nd rev Mac Pro.

3. icceric thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I am absolutely positive that I got the right one - I quadriple checked it...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB560Z/A?mco=MTIxOTIxMA

I decided to try again - to reinstall the OS from the dvd, update to 10.5.2 and this time check the "Software Update" for the Leopard Graphics Update - before I downloaded the files from the apple site... anyway, the Leopard Graphics Update doesn't show up in the Software Update window. ???

4. icceric thread starter macrumors newbie

Well - So far, I haven't heard back from Apple - So I made an appointment at the Genius Bar - took the MP in last night and they have decided to order me a new card. New one should be in by Wed.