2.0.2! Awesome! /sarcasm

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fbboi999, Aug 19, 2008.

1. fbboi999 macrumors member

Ok... I've had my iPod Touch screw up 5 times since 2.0 where I have to fully restore it (takes 5 hours)

I had left it broken for almost 2 weeks, but with the release of 2.0.2 (I didn't even notice 2.0.1's release, lol) I decided to try restoring again... I restored, the first thing I did was to tap settings to change everything back because the settings weren't saved on the backup. It froze. Again.

So, I'm asking for some input

1: Has your iPod been "breaking" to a point to which it requires a restore (since 2.0)
    2: how many times have you restored?
    3: have you found a good, lasting solution?
    4: do you have a 16GB or 32?
    5: Should I wait for 2.1, or go ahead and call Apple for a replacement (I still have the 1 year warranty)
    6: If I do get a replacement... would it be worth it to sell the replacement immediately, spend 100 bucks, and get a 32 GB which apparently breaks less commonly?

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Don't mean to hijack, but 2.0.1 on my iPhone does crash more than 1.1.4. Actually, 1.1.4 never really crashed for me (unlocked, hacked iPhone here).

Apple is just trying to do too much with too many products, not to mention the update to the iPhone 3G and the imminent update in September to the new iPod Touch. New computers and laptops on top of all this.

Hopefully, before the holidays, all this stuff will stabilize....

3. adbe macrumors 6502a

Nope. I had it crash and require some effort to get it to reboot with 2.0, but that's as far as it went.

N/A.

16GB.

Sounds like it. Your problems may well be hardware in origin.

4. HKeleher macrumors newbie

You could have a bad Touch and need to get it replaced. It's possible.

Another distant possibility is a bad sync over your USB bus. If you are using a Mac this doesn't really apply to you but I've known folks with Windows based PCs and motherboard USB ports (and or headers) to have issues with synced data. The fix for them, and me as I had this problem, was to purchase a third party 2.0 USB PCI card and plug the Touch into that. Even using a dock was a problem.

It's a pretty cheap solution to try and see how that works for you. It might be all you need but if it doesn't work then at least you aren't out much and you have a decent USB addition to your machine.

5. 2late2be macrumors member

2late2be

Welcome to the club, LOL!!

Since 2.0 my ipod touch started to work awful!!! got screen freezed, i went to the apple store and they gave me a new one, i thought the old one was the problem, but wasn't, kept freezing even with the 2.0.2 firmware, so, what i did, i deleted all the free apps, and only let the ones that i've paid for,and it was a little bit less trouble, lets say that i have restored my ipod somewhere between 10-30 times since 2.0..!!!:mad:

6. TheGrand macrumors newbie

I have had screen problems as well, often times i would find the the screen would become unresponsive and i would have to restart my ipod. This problem is beginning to happen more frequently. Now i want to know is this a software or hardware problem that is causing this, and is it enough to warrant an apple replacement ( i am still under the one year apple warranty).

7. gear71428 macrumors member

I have a 32GB and haven't had any issues other than a slight drop in wifi strength since 2.0. No rebooting at all. There was one problem with album art missing on a couple of tunes; but that was because I had only put album art on one song of a whole album in itunes without realizing it, my bad.

Now when it comes to transferring videos from my Tivo to my MAC, there I have had some problems. But soon I expect to be able to Slingbox videos directly from my Tivo to my Touch and that will forever solve that problem. I also expect that Apple will find some way (I know Orb already does this) for me to access my library remotely via wifi, which will render any limited memory size issues (of the touch) mute.

8. Incrimn8r macrumors newbie

Yes I have started having more issues since 2.0. Have had to restore twice in 1 week now :(

9. hamchapman macrumors newbie

1) Yeah
    2) About 5/6 times.
    3) 2.0.2 seems to stable for me so far (app-wise) but I have given up trying to put videos or music on it until a PROPER set of fixes are released.
    4) 16GB
    5) I'd just wait and complain to Apple at the same time.
    6) Not sure really.

10. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

All the time, especially after I shut down completely, rather than standby mode. When it wakes it can't find my music or movies and all apps crash. Or, it just stops launching apps after a couple of days
    easily 20 times now; including restoring from a mac at the genius bar
    Don't turn it off, stick with standby mode; don't download ANY apps - maybe this will work?
    16GB
    Get a replacement but see if they will load it with the 1.5 firmware and then don't update until 2.1 comes out
    Yes, although less commonly is a misnomer as the 16 GB has sold more- hence more reports of 16's failing. Failure rate I'm sure is the same, its all do to a bug in the way the firmware interacts with apps -should be across all Touches.

11. scifiman macrumors member

Wow that sucks for those that are having this problem. Not trying to show off here but so you get a different point of view.

1. No
    2. 0 - absolutely none
    3. Not Applicable
    4. 32 GB
    5. I think I would call Apple. You seem to be experiencing problems at every step of the way. See what they have to say and get them to replace it.
    6. Depends on the size of your library and if you need the space.

12. Big Willie macrumors member

13. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I've had some very minor problems but nothing like you are.
    A couple of Apps restart and a reboot a couple/three times.

1 restore needed.
    I've got a 16 GB
    I'd contact Apple or go to an Apple Store and see if they can fix it.

Eric

14. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

I have an 8 gig and it doesn't require a restore but everytime i buy an app on my computer and went to put it on my ipod, i have to backup and instal every program that's already on the ipod. Takes forever. Is that normal?

15. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

I have an iPod touch 8gb on 2.0 jailbroken. I've never had to Restore (except of course the first time to jailbreak it)

I haven't had any problems at all.

Besides a little keyboard lagging in safari after a lot of use I don't have any problems with 2.0 over 1.1.4

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

hmmm my ipod is probably the only one that doesnt have any problems. it does lag a bit in itunes, like a few seconds but thats about it. backup takes a minute or so.

17. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

18. macdot macrumors 6502

19. cubs1987 macrumors newbie

anyone else have to restore everytime they add a new app? This is pissing me off...

20. DSimmer macrumors newbie

DSimmer

1. Yes. I've had to restore before 2.0, more since I installed 2.0

2. I've restored 10 times (with 30GB of content this takes several hours). Furthermore I can't restore on my main PC, only on a 2nd PC (and then sync content on the main PC).

3. No. Tried re-installing all Apple app's on the PC, I've moved to different USB ports, I've even added a 3rd party USB2 PCI card. Nothing works. Each time I sync it's a crap shoot whether my photos and/or music and/or video will disappear and/or "Other" will balloon to several GB. Recently I haven't been able to sync certain apps (e.g. Texas HoldEm) and I can only load them via wifi.

4. 32GB purchased in March. Currently running 2.0.1 not jailbroken.

5. Waiting for 2.1 before asking for a replacement.

6. My situation doesn't support the belief that the 32GB breaks less than the 16GB.