2,000,000 Post Avatar Contest Rules

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
2,000,000 Post Avatar Contest

MacRumors Forums is approaching its two millionth post. To celebrate, we are having an avatar-creating contest. Avatars are the images you see under the names of some MacRumors members who have reached 500 or more posts. They can be created with almost any graphics or image editing program. Even if you don't have 500 posts to display an avatar, you can enter the contest.

There are two prizes for each winner:
1. Bragging rights.
2. Winners with less than 500 posts will get to use their winning avatar in the forums, even though they would otherwise not be eligible to have an avatar.

Winners will be chosen in three categories:
* Best Animated Avatar
* Best Static (non-animated) Avatar
* Best Apple-themed Avatar (somehow related to Apple Computer)

Five finalists will be selected in each category by the moderators.

The winner in each category will be chosen by a public poll among the finalists. All MacRumors members will be eligible to vote for the three winners.

Contest Rules:

Please read through these rules. They will answer most of your questions.

1. Eligibility. Any MacRumors member with any active member status can enter. You can submit as many entries as you like. They must be your own work. Avatars must follow the guidelines for the current avatars: jpeg, gif, or png files, at most 75x75 pixels and at most 20,000 bytes (19.5KB). Oversize avatars will not be eligible.

2. Submission.
2a. To submit an entry, click here to create a new thread in the Avatar Contest forum.

2b. The thread title must be your MacRumors member name or your member name followed by a unique counting number, e.g., Mr. Anderson for the first thread, Mr. Anderson 2 for the second thread, Mr. Anderson 3 for the 3rd thread, etc.

2c. Attach your avatar to the first post in the thread. Do not link to a graphic on another web site or your own server. To be eligible, avatars must be attached to your post.

2d. You do not have to say which of the categories the avatar is for. If it is Apple-themed, it will automatically be eligible in two categories.

2e. Submissions must be new work done by you, not seen on the MacRumors boards previously.​
3. Comments. When posting your entry, you can add your own comments about it if you like (e.g, to tell what gave you the idea or what software you used), but this will not affect judging. Anyone can post comments to anybody else's contest entry thread to talk about that entry, but these posts will not affect judging. If you have comments or questions about the contest itself, post them in this thread.

4. Changes. Avatars posted in your thread, other than in the first post, are not eligible for the contest. You may change the avatar in the first post if you want to improve it (or shrink it to an eligible size) the same day you start the thread. After that, start a new thread to enter another avatar in the contest.

5. Suitability. Keep it clean. Avatars should not be political, offensive, tasteless, profane, X-rated, etc. If you even question whether or not an entry is appropriate, do not submit it, or PM a moderator and ask about it first. Members posting something unsuitable will be dealt with as per forum rules.

6. Entry period. The period for contest entries has started as of this post. It ends the moment of the 2,000,000th post, which we estimate to be sometime between 1 and 2 weeks from now. The exact moment depends on posting rates, which vary day to day. There will be an announcement here when the entry period is over.

7. Finalists. The MacRumors moderators will select 5 finalists each in the Animated, Static, and Apple-themed categories, based on creativeness, craftsmanship, and/or humor. There will be at most one avatar in the finals for a given MacRumors member across the 3 categories, so exactly 15 different members will be finalists. Decisions of the moderators will be final. The moderators will not be eligible to be finalists but may submit avatars.

8. Voting. There will be three polls:
* Best Animated Avatar (5 entries)
* Best Static Avatar (5 entries)
* Best Apple-themed Avatar (5 entries)​
Any MacRumors member can vote, at most once, in each of the three polls. The polls will be open for at least 3 days. Ties, if they occur, will be handled as co-winners.

9. Prizes. Finalists get enviable bragging rights. Winners get even more enviable bragging rights, and they may use their winning entry as their member avatar, whether or not they have reached 500 posts.

10. Rules. If you don't follow the contest rules, your entries will not be eligible to be finalists. A mistake such as misnaming your thread or using an oversize avatar may or may not be pointed out to you.

11. Legal mumbo jumbo. There is no legal mumbo jumbo. We're doing this just for fun! When in doubt, we'll use common sense and you should too.

To see the contest entries as they accumulate, click here to display the contest forum.

Good luck!

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
So...Excited....

Big plans this year, maybe something with Steve Jobs and an Ewok in the same 75x75 space...who knows.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
2,000,000 posts, wow! Congratulations in advance to MacRumors!

Let's see if my logic is right.

June 2000 - August 2004 (approx. 50 months): 0 to 1,000,000 posts
August 2004 - December 2005 (approx. 16 months): 1,000,001 to 2,000,000 posts

It took about 1/3 of the time to get the second million, not bad at all. Therefore if this trend continues...

December 2005 - May 2006 (approx. 5 months): 2,000,001 to 3,000,000 posts.
May 2006 - July 2006 (approx. 1.6 months): 3,000,001 to 4,000,000 posts
July 2006 - August 2006 (approx. 0.5 months): 4,000,001 to 5,000,000 posts

And so on. Pretty soon, there will be over a million posts a day, and before you know it, there will be more total posts on MacRumors than total songs sold on iTunes! :D

I think you guys will soon need more moderators to keep up with this huge amount of traffic...And it will not be feasible to have an avatar contest for every million. ;)

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
And just think of how many people are like me who read a lot of the rumors but don't always post. That's why I haven't gotten my Avatar status yet. I need to start posting my opinions of rumors more often. I will, however, enter a few avatars for the contest. It will be good practice for when I get my own. Cool beans! Congrats to MacRumors for so many users/posts! :)

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Woohoo! Go Macrumors! Congrats on making it to two million (or almost).

I'd join the avatar making process but the last one I liked got people's all upset and me banned for a week.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Ohhhh I've got so much work to do and right now I just wanna load up Photoshop and have a go!

*hopefully* i'll find time before the 2 millionth post...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I was wondering if MacRumors would have some sort of contest to celebrate this milestone - it's great to see it will not go by unnoticed! I remember the 1,000,000 post festivites and the other avatar contest, so this should be a fun time once again for everyone. Although I will most likely not be entering anything personally, it will be fun to review all the entries and vote. :cool:

And as an aside, I wonder what percentage of this second group of 1 million posts myself, mad jew, mkrishnan, and Lacero have contributed... :eek: :eek: ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
~Shard~ said:
And as an aside, I wonder what percentage of this second group of 1 million posts myself, mad jew, mkrishnan, and Lacero have contributed... :eek: :eek: ;)
Great. Now you've done it... now, Doctor Q is gonna have to spit out some crazy stats. Tsk.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Yikes. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week. I better hurry up and get my entries in! Not that I have much of a chance, but still...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
devilot said:
Great. Now you've done it... now, Doctor Q is gonna have to spit out some crazy stats. Tsk.
Hey, I never said the good Doctor had to do anything of the sort - it was more rhetoric than anything! :) Plus, I don't know if we want to see those types of figures... :eek: ;)

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
2 Million? Man, I remember when we had the 1 Million posts contest, I think one of my submissions even got honorable mention :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
autrefois said:
June 2000 - August 2004 (approx. 50 months): 0 to 1,000,000 posts
August 2004 - December 2005 (approx. 16 months): 1,000,001 to 2,000,000 posts

It took about 1/3 of the time to get the second million, not bad at all. Therefore if this trend continues...

December 2005 - May 2006 (approx. 5 months): 2,000,001 to 3,000,000 posts.
May 2006 - July 2006 (approx. 1.6 months): 3,000,001 to 4,000,000 posts
July 2006 - August 2006 (approx. 0.5 months): 4,000,001 to 5,000,000 posts

And so on. Pretty soon, there will be over a million posts a day, and before you know it, there will be more total posts on MacRumors than total songs sold on iTunes! :D
What a great post! Let's just declare you the contest winner and forget that avatar stuff!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Do we have anything planned for the 1 Billionth Post contest? I have an idea, but I'm not telling...

expecting to see something written in white? nothing to see here. hehe

Here's to the Crazy Ones

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Doctor Q said:
What a great post! Let's just declare you the contest winner and forget that avatar stuff!
Haha, when I read his post I thought of you Doctor Q and how much you no doubt would appreciate those statistics. ;)

Lacero said:
Do we have anything planned for the 1 Billionth Post contest? I have an idea, but I'm not telling...
I can only imagine what that would entail... :eek: :cool:

Lacero said:
expecting to see something written in white? nothing to see here. hehe
Damn, fell for it - sometimes you're just too clever... :D

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
Yes, now I will finally be able to use an Avatar. While I am here multiple times everyday, posting has not been my strongest quality. You're all going down!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mozmac said:
Yes, now I will finally be able to use an Avatar. While I am here multiple times everyday, posting has not been my strongest quality. You're all going down!
My, that's pretty presumptuous of you! :p Good luck to you in the contest, I'll be anxious to see if your 'tar has "the right stuff" to win... ;) :cool: