2.0GHz i5 > 2.4GHz i7 - worth the extra $300/£270?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HelixOmnimedia, Oct 30, 2016.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro 13"

Title says it all is the extra money worth the processor speed bump?

My current MacBook is 7 years old, and at the time I bumped the processor, the hard drive, and a couple of years ago upgraded the RAM.

I'm not a heavy heavy users for in-depth photo or video editing, just the standard stuff. I use it a lot for writing, and converting my movies to digital files.

But if i want the machine to last as long as the one i have is the extra processor worth it. Options please.

2. timcook_boyfriend, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

timcook_boyfriend macrumors newbie

timcook_boyfriend

There is not such a processor model. (2.9 ghz i7)

extra configuration use cpu 2.4 ghz i7 up to 3.4 ghz. (6660U)

I could not find any testing on this processor. but is 2 core 4 thread cpu, not a serious more performance boost.

3. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Sorry - typo. Was to be the 2.4GHz i7

4. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Hi. I'm jumping from a MacBook Pro 2010 to the new MacBook Pro 2016, without TouchBar. Here's my thinking:

The CPU bump on this model is not worth it except for one single case: someone who really does not like the new TouchBar and wants a little jump in performance.
    That said, I don't think you'll suffer with the baseline configuration. CPU results are pretty fast (as fast as last year's i5 28W MacBook Pro). You'll notice more come throttling when converting your videos. But that's true for both configurations because they are 15W CPUs.
    If you really want to get that performance jump (which is not that noticeable for your uses), I would advice you to wait and buy the 13 inch MacBook Pro with TouchBar. This one comes with a 28W CPU which is a significant upgrade to both options of the one available right away.

5. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

I really really don't have any use for the Touch Bar, it's nice but it's just not for me. So on that note I'm already saving some money there.

I think you've answered my question in line with what I was thinking. RAM I'm going to bump up.

I guess saving money on the processor can either go towards AppleCare or a few accessories.

6. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Yes, 16GB of RAM is a good investment to future-proff the machine.

7. 5iMacs macrumors regular

We're doing a 2010 MBP to 2016 MBP non-touch bar upgrade in our household too, I'll report back on throttling after tomorrow but I'm not expecting any.

8. DanielDD macrumors 6502

I would appreciate that. Still waiting for my credit card to clear up

9. 5iMacs macrumors regular

DanielDD, I posted my observations in the non-touch-bar thread: #466