2.1 Undocumented features/fixes list!!!

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
As some of the old timers know, almost every firmware update has brought a number of new changes not documented or disclosed to the public by Apple. With that in mind, please list any features/fixes that were not listed in the official 2.1 release notes!!! Thanks.

*Edit* if you are like me and don't like to wade through a ton of posts in a thread and prefer a post that gets to the point, i will be consolidating the comments here and compiling a list of these undocumented features/fixes:

1) Updated apps keep their position on the iphone screen
2) You can pause apps while installing by tapping the icon (thx mavis)
3) 3G/E icon changes (no longer enclosed in a "box")
4) Triple clicking on the mic now brings you to the previous track (thx sealit)
5) Genius playlists: click the artwork to reveal the song's progress and there is a genius icon to build a play list on the fly (thx jsgreen)
6) You can set the clock to 12 hour with AM/PM in the UK (thx Kardashian)
7) You can restrict the Camera (thx Kardashian)
8) In the ipod function, when looking at a list of 'songs' the album title is listed below the song name (thx tombee)
9) Itunes now displays how much space is taken up by "Applications" (thx mark34)
10) Bluetooth headsets now work with visual voicmail (confirmed with plantronics & motorola bt headsets) (thx trihard)
11) Ipod volume setting is independent of phone ringer volume setting (thx rat-boy)
12) EXIF information remains on pictures now when emailing them from phone (thx MadGoat)

I will attempt to update this list as additional new undocumented changes are found.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
The 3G or E symbol next to AT&T is no longer encased in a "box" on my phone. Same for everyone else?

sealit

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
New function for the mic.

Triple clicking on the mic now brings you to the previous track. :):):)

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
Genius playlists: of course can be made from the Playlists menu...

but also while a song is playing - click the artwork to reveal the song's progress and there is a genius icon to build a play list on the fly.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
someone should test if the playlist is saved, and the next time u resume, it starts from where to left off........................iphone still backing up :rolleyes:

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London
someone should test if the playlist is saved, and the next time u resume, it starts from where to left off........................iphone still backing up :rolleyes:
Tell iTunes to no longer send crash reports to Apple. Did this two weeks ago and the time for backup got reduced from over 40 minutes to about 2 minutes, when there are lot,s of changes.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
Well i can post in safari without llag listen music, and without the anoying bug that repositioned the page at every keypresw

spyz88

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
In your main mail window the email count icon looks different. If you have location services off, a new box will come up asking you if you want to go to the settings instead of just OK or cancel.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Did anyone notice that you can now see how much memory your Apps take up on your iPhone on iTunes? That did not happen just with iTunes 8.0, didn't happen until I updated to 2.1. That is a nice add.

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
They remapped the signal meters ranges. I'm on -99 Db after, -101 before.

1 bar before, 4 bars after.