$2,100,100

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Desertrat, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Desertrat macrumors newbie

This has got to be one of the most egregious examples of bloated egos in a long, long time. It's hilariously funny that 41 Congresscritters could decide to try to ruin a private individual's career, cost him his job: But to wind up with a seriously large sum donated to a charity? With their targeted victim's career and billfold enhanced? And more egg on their collective face that all of Tyson's chickens could produce?

All hail "Dingie's Dunces"!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260170172469&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

And two of these clowns think they're presidential material? The Republic's in serious trouble. They make Craig look just really, really moral. Somebody else might know as to abuse of power.

'Rat

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's Rush Limbaugh. This guy hasn't been relevant for at least a decade.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Maybe not to you or me, but someone did just buy that letter for 2.1 million.

I'm glad politicians just stick with politics as their day job:rolleyes:

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

$4.2 Million goes to the charity thanks to Rush's match to the winning bid. It must be killing Reid, Obama, Hillary and the other signatories that so much good could be done without using taxpayer dollars.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He of course could have raised this money and more without the self-righteous histrionics. It's clear to me that Rush is the true hero of this story now. :rolleyes:

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Not bad for a guy that the left claims is irrelevant.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

More hilarious that you think that a letter could "ruin" Rush's career, when his own drug abuse couldn't.

Lemme see...Rush's wallet is $2,100,100 lighter...you might wanna look up the word "enhanced".

And Rush was the one who called soldiers "phonies"; when caught, he cries "smear!" Who's wearing the egg?

So he raised money for charity with the letter. Good! It may be a terrific example of spin, but at least it did some good in the world. The Dems should send more letters. A lot more charities would receive money, and Rush might eventually be bankrupted. :D

You don't know Reid, et. al. very well then.

As to doing good...Rush could've donated his portion at any time. Like...a year ago. But no, he had to wait for an opportunity to spin it in a self-serving way.

Because soliciting gay sex in a public john is much more moral than defending our troops. :rolleyes:

Glad the kids got some money, though; that Rush justified himself, at least in his own mind (and apparently yours); and that that blowhard finally managed to do something nice for a change.

Gotta agree with you about the bloated ego, though -- I read Rush's auction, and yeah, the man's full of more hot air than the Hindenburg.

8. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, TV, but you're totally wrong. I heard the tape; read the transcript. He was using "phony soldiers" in the context of that 44-day loser that lied about having been in Iraq and supposedly saw all that evil stuff--who was briely a darling of the Left.

Lots of those phonies around. Seel Teem 6 "I could tell ya but then I'd havta kill ya." types. 40-year-old NamVets. "Medal winners" with more stockade time than good time. Phony soldiers.

Stop and think for a moment: Rushbo has a multi-year history of support and respect for the troops. Do you really think he'd even think of them as phony? That idea doesn't even begin to make sense. Folks should have known from the gitgo that the accusations against Limbaugh were absolutely phony.

I don't care at all what folks think about his political views. I despise wilful lying in a cheapshot attempt to get a guy silenced because of his opinions.

And of course his wallet will be enhanced. How many more $35/year folks will sign up for his newsletter? How much more will the advertisers pay? He has around 21 million listeners now. If only five percent are members? And he maybe adds another 1/2 percent? One percent?

Irrelevant? With over ten percent of the adult population of the U.S. listening to him? :D:D:D

But it's one way to get more tax money into the exchequer: Make Rush even richer. Heck, he's gonna be doing better than Reid, Clinton or Pelosi's hubby.

'Rat

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're talking about Jesse Macbeth. Okay, let's go with that.

Here's a right-wing blog site which quotes Rush's program that day in more depth than even Media Matters. What's amusing is that the guy who writes this blog quotes the transcript at length without realizing it proves that Rush really was insulting the anti-war troops. He makes his "phony soldiers" comment, then does a couple of minutes with a caller who claims WMD really were found in Iraq, and then he gets back onto the subject of soldiers who disagree with the war and brings up Macbeth as an example.

That whole transcript excerpt is messed up in so many ways I can't count them. But I'll try a few. First, Jesse Macbeth isn't all soldiers who are against the war. Second, Michael Moore published an entire book several years ago with letters from many so-called "phony" soldiers who are against the war, and there are of course many, many others. And third, the early part of the transcript shows Rush mocking a caller who claims to be an anti-war Republican, with Rush going on to make ridiculous claims like, "I don't know a single Republican or conservative, Mike, who wants to pull out of Iraq in defeat. The Democrats have made the last four years about that specifically." Rush turns the tables on the caller, avoiding answers to questions while claiming to be answering them, accusing the caller of having built up a "wall of armor" while wearing a thick suit of his own.

Kind of ironic that this transcript is held up as a "defense" of Rush, but I guess when you have only straws to grasp at, you grasp at straws.

I don't think Rush supports anybody, troops or otherwise, that doesn't support the administration.

Unless this was a very successful ratings stunt, I doubt his wallet will be enhanced, what with conservative talk radio in general and Rush in particular experiencing declining ratings.

10. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

Karl Rove would be proud!

This is another good example why "knee-jerk liberals" don't make good chess players.

I doubt any of the muffin-heads who signed the letter saw this coming.:eek:

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As I stated above at length:

(1) So what? and

(2) Rush still owns that "phony soldiers" comment.

12. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

Ask Harry Reid "so what?"
    And anyone with a brain would easily see who the "phony soldiers" comment referred to if they'd bothered to read the transcripts for themselves rather than taking their marching orders from liberal blogs!:rolleyes:

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I have to say, Rush does have a knack for political manuevering, however, Rush Limbaugh is not a private citizen. He's a celebrity and a political operative.
    And, I'm not sure that Craig's lies, dessembling, and obvious hypocracy should get a free pass because 41 senators decided to take a page from the Republican handbook and cry foul.

Yep. What the world needs is another hysterical white guy.

Once you read the entire transcript it becomes clear who Rush was referring to as "phony soliders" however I can see the confusion. One of the things that surprises me about Rush is how inarticulate the guy is. He rambles and sometimes ends up breaking down his own point. Rush apparently believes that everyone Armed Services thinks we should remain in Iraq, despite evidence to the contrary, and he believes that anyone who disagrees with him must be a Democrat. This is specious thinking at best.
    Rush is a fool, a useful and sometimes brilliant fool, but nonetheless he offers little real thought into an issue and is simply the righty radio equivalent to all those "liberal" blogs.

I can't believe we continue to allow hysterical stunts like this overrun the serious political debates we should be having. Rush is a pimple on the ass of discourse.

14. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

You are of course free to hold such an erudite opinion. But who cares?:rolleyes:

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ok, you guys do realize that no one was trying to end anyone's career right? The reason they made such a big deal out of it is because right before this, the right made a huge deal out of the Moveon thing. This was so they could show that the same people who were quick to waste time throwing a fit over Moveon were hypocrites who didn't mind when others did similar things. Those same people also didn't have a problem with the other conservatives who said negative things about Petraeus, or even the rest of the troops. Many of which I pointed out in the other thread.

As for Rush, he was at least alluding to those who disagreed with the war as phony soldiers like Jesse MacBeth. If you actually do read the whole thing and/or listen to it, right before the caller where he made the phony soldiers comment, there was another caller that disagreed with him. Rush said he couldn't have been a Republican, or in the military, even though he was both. That's why it seems like he was talking about all who disagreed with him. He also later made similar comments about Murtha and Kerry, who unlike Rush, actually did serve in the military. He's said equally terrible things about those that disagree with him, sometimes even derogatory of others military service. Not to mention supporting and defending those who've done things that actually hurt the soldiers, like those responsible for the lack of planning, exit strategies, body armor, vehicle armor, as well as the whole Walter Reed thing.

He also made fun of the trembling voice of a 12 year old and the shaking of a Parkinsons victim lately as well because they dared support something he didn't, so I still don't why anyone is surprised by anything he says or does anymore. Nor why some still defend him. I didn't even touch on the things he's said that have proven to be lies, some of which he still repeats ad naseum. Not to mention the drug use, then running to the ACLU. If you want him to by your poster boy, all the luck to you. I guaretee you Reid and the Dems don't really care about this at all, because it hasn't hurt them at all. Unlike the SCHIP thing, which the GOP is getting killed over. And the Craig incident, which is still hurting them. As if Iraq wasn't already doing it.

And you do realize who bought the letter, don't you?

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When Kerry mis-spoke and slipped up the "soldiers stuck in Iraq" comment, the right was quick to attack him, but when this jackass slips up and calls our soldiers phony, the right is defending him. Seems a bit hypocritical, doesn't it?

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of course. Kerry was obviously speaking about Bush, but the right needed something. Just like they needed something and hyped up the Betrayus thing. The Graeme Frost thing kinda blew up in their faces (as did the MJ Fox thing), but they tried. I can see how people can think Rush wasn't talking about all the soldiers, he's better at covering, but as I pointed out, that would be ignoring the previous caller. And the similar comments about Murtha, Kerry (ironically), and the other person who's name I forget. Plus the comments he's made about the former commanders who've now come out against the war.

And it's ignoring what I mentioned, that this was all about pointing out hypocrisy after the Moveon thing. Which we see above is lost on those who had a problem with this, but not that. Still doesn't make Craig go away, and still doesn't make SCHIP go away. Both of which are still hurting the GOP, whereas the only people who care about this are already not voting Dem.

18. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Thats was a good one. I thought you were serious. He has over 20 million listeners.

Rush was not calling the troops phony at all. he was calling the ones who didn't make it out of bootcamp or never served who lie about torture and things phony. I should know I was listening that day.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What about the caller before that one who he said couldn't have been a Republican or in the military, despite the callers continued protest he was both?

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Pseudobrit was probably referring not just to his declining ratings but to his declining influence. How much power does this guy really have anymore beyond his loser dittoheads?

You might want to read the transcript and not trust what you thought you heard.

Again, you're not hearing me:

Well, call me Scarecrow then, because Rush refers to anti-war soldiers generically, and only brings up Macbeth a few minutes later.

'Course, it's beyond someone as brainless as me to point out that what I referenced was a conservative blog, not a liberal one.

21. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Pseudobrit was probably referring not just to his declining ratings but to his declining influence. How much power does this guy really have anymore beyond his loser dittoheads?

Quote from post above.
    That was not nice calling people losers. I am a Rush listener and I am not a loser. I would have been banned if I called someone a loser.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Still doesn't make him relevant. Anyone can spout off random crap like he does and get listeners, it just means there are 20 million people who are as dumb as he is. I'd hardly call hiding behind a microphone and spewing off crap insulting soldiers, 12 year old boys who suffered severe brain damage after a car accident, and a man with parkinson's disease "relevant"

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But he didn't call "someone" a loser. He called anyone who parrots Limbaugh a loser. That couldn't possibly be referring to anyone here, could it?

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

First off, you may want to learn to use the quote button so people know what's going on when you post. It's the big one that says "Quote".

––> Picture 1.png

Secondly, when someone makes a generalization about an anonymous segment of society (like "idiot drivers who don't use their turn signals") it's not a personal attack.

Every now and then, someone will wander along, see this and try to make it personal by stepping into the pitch. If you step into the pitch, don't be surprised if the ump won't let you take the base.

25. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

No. Alas, like Rush, you are just stretching here.

Anyway, a person who listens to and admires that pointless, ignorant blowhard should not be taken seriously in any respect.