2.2.1 murders the 3G's battery, but what's 3.0 like?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleMan940, Apr 8, 2009.

1. AppleMan940 macrumors member

Hey,

I'm on a jailbroken 2.2.1 iPhone 3G which I get as a replacement from Apple. I got this replacement because foolishly when I upgraded my 2.2 (baseband preserved) to 2.2.1 I thought the iPhone's battery was dieing. It turns out it is not the battery but the firmware.

I've tried to downgrade the 2.2.1 replacement they gave me but get an error 1013 as it has the 2.0.30 baseband software. Even ignoring this error does not let me go back to 2.2.

I know for a fact that it's not my iPhonehttp://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=2.2.1%20battery%20life&meta=

So what I am asking is: this recent screw up that Apple have done which has caused iPhone's to have really poor battery, is it sustained in 3.0? Does 3.0 fix this issue?

How can I get 3.0 working on my phone by the way if I'm not a dev? Is there an unofficial pwnagetool where I can *Preserve* BB and Activate so that it will work? Using original carrier sim.

Thanks!

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

If you think 2.2.1 is murder on the battery, 3.0 is more like genocide!! :eek:

3. arubinst macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say so. I actually find my battery life much better now with the b2 than it was when using 2.2.1

4. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

You must be one of the lucky ones. Every now and then if I have not done a soft reset that day (on beta 2), my phone will feel really hot in my pocket and the battery just freefalls.

5. Justen macrumors member

I find that 3.0 b2 battery is great. I use my iPhone about 6 hours of talk time/ text/ email, and about 14 hours on standby. I come home and i'm still at or above 65%

6. AppleMan940 thread starter macrumors member

Can we all agree though that 2.2.1 is like going back to 2.1 and 2.2 was sweeet.:)

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

What?

8. AppleMan940 thread starter macrumors member

9. shutter13 macrumors member

Dude, what are your settings? I get about 6 hours of usage (almost none of it actual phone calls) an 16 hrs standby when my phone shuts down. Also using beta 2.

10. Justen macrumors member

WiFi off, also I don't ever use Bluetooth or listen to music. Location Services on, and push off.
    That's it.

11. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Yeah, you got serious issues. Mine is around 2days standby for around 6-7hrs usage with 35% consisting phone calls (BT + WiFi always on). :apple:

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I get similar performance as the guy you quoted -

3G - on, all the time.
    WiFi - on, but not set to auto-connect (only for known networks)
    Location Services - on as needed (in maps etc.)
    Push - on, though I only have gmail configured and that's set to manual
    games - whenever I feel like it
    calls - all the time
    txt - for a while everyday, at minimum
    screen - about 40% brightness, set to lock after a minute (but I always lock it manually)
    music - all the time
    bluetooth - off 100% all the time.

Unless you're literally talking on your phone 6 hours a day via 3G, I can't see how people don't make it through a day with their iPhones.

I've had many problems with many iPhones, but battery performance has basically been the same between them all.

EDIT: FW 2.2.1

13. shutter13 macrumors member

OK, I'm useing beta 2, but I have the same battery life (or maybe a little better) as I did with 2.2.1, so the beta doesn't have anything to do with it. I'll grant you I was trying to run my battery down yesterday (in the 4.5 months I've had it, I've never run it completely down) so once I hit 20% I turned brightness up to full and autolock to never and watched a bunch of youtube.

Typical usage for me
    -Use 3-4 alarms throughout the day, occasionally I snooze an alarm
    -Use the timer function a few times per day
    -Text 20-30 per day
    -MMS 10-20 per day
    -email, calendar and contacts (push) a few changes per week to the calendar...maybe 10, maybe 3-4 changes to contacts per week, and maybe 10-15 emails per hour
    -check twitter couple times per hour
    -check facebook couple times per hour
    -create tasks, check and mark them off throughout the day tasks sync with toodledoo at startup (use the todo app)
    -Use my checkbook app whenever I make a transaction, depends on the day, but usually 3-4 times per day
    -Use the USA today app a few times per day
    -Use the camera App occasionally
    -Browse the app store and app sniper a few times per day
    -Occasionally use the camera and photo editing apps (not even daily, maybe a couple times per week)
    -Couple other apps (internet fed) a few times per day

Usually it's around 5-6 hours of usage in a day with about 16 hrs of standby and I'll hit 20%.

Settings
    -3G off (no 3G service in my area)
    -Wifi on (Only connects automatically to known networks)
    -Push on
    -brightness at about 50% (auto brightness on, I am in the sun alot) set to lock after a minute (but I almost always lock it manually)
    -Location services off (If I need them I'm in the car and connect to the car charger)
    -Ringer set to maximum

This is pretty much on par as I got with my tilt, my blackjack and blackjack II, I have occasionally had to charge it in the middle of the day, not often. So I'm actually not complaining about my battery life, but if I can get better...I would like to.

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Actually, the battery on 3.0b2 is better than 2.2.1, no joke.

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

don't mean to insult your preferences, rather, I'm just curious....
    what do you find attractive about the features the iPhone offers, if you don't use it as an iPod (or the wonderful push and location services)

on a side note, I listen to music extensively, use push, have WiFi and LS on, and still get more than a days use out of it

I have heard that programs tend to get "stuck"
    so if you notice your batterys been dropping faster than it should, reboot the phone
    It won't recharge it, obviously, but it will return the batteries decline to normal, and hopefully allow you to make it through the rest of the day

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Actually... my battery improved in 2.2.1. I don't understand why everyone's having such a problem with their battery life. My battery moves about 2 pixels each hour of usage. I always have 3G on and I do mostly texting and web browsing. I think my battery is fine.

By the way... using Wifi will drain the battery slower than both EDGE and 3G! Wifi is the most battery efficient way to access the web from your iPhone.

17. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

my battery has always been good, i started on 2.0 now on 2.21

everyone saying htey have horrible battery life is either over using it during the day/ or has a jailbroken iphone with background apps running in the background

18. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

19. AppleMan940 thread starter macrumors member

I'll let you know how that goes.

*Sigh* my battery keeps getting stuck at 100% and then suddenly dieing on me. However a reboot generally fixes this. Surprisingly when I rebooted I was at 80% - seems to hold up better. 80% after an hour of music isn't too bad. That's all I did with it.

Wish I didn't have a damn rattle phone though it sounds like a freaking box of tic-tacs.

20. northy014 macrumors regular

The Engadget podcast said that the battery life was significantly worse with iPhone 3.0, hope that helps. No firsthand experience though.

21. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

So you don't use the phone part?

22. SiuPak macrumors newbie

does mail.app consume a lot of battery power?

23. shutter13 macrumors member

not so much, not necessarily common, but I've only used 29 minutes of phone usage since last Tuesday when I loaded beta 2. That's a bit lower than normal...but not too much.