2.2 or 2.5 GHz in my new Mac Book Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheMadOldCoger, May 23, 2015.

1. TheMadOldCoger macrumors newbie

Hello,

Forgive me if I have done this wrong as this is my first post.

Since the update of the New Mac Book Pro 15" I have decided it is time to upgrade from my early 2011 model. I will be using the Mac book for things such as Video and Audio editing, Word Processing and the normal web browsing. I will be getting a Student Discount on this product I have £1400 saved up for this purchase but is it really worth me paying the £68 for the 2.5GHz processor? or should I just stick with the 2.2GHz processor?

This would really help me if you could explain the difference and the benefits of having the larger processor.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Do you make a living from your audio and video work? Is that work time sensitive to the point where saving a few seconds here and there has a noticeable effect?

If you answered no to both, then I believe your problem is solved.

Usually with computers, especially with CPU upgrades: if you have to ask, you don't need it. Those that do usually know it.

As for your last question, one will see a difference only when the CPU is being pegged at 100% capacity. That usually happens in operations such as rendering. For day to day computing, it would be completely impossible to distinguish between either.

3. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

4. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Remember that the 2.2GHz has Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.

I think that will do you just fine on the rare occasion that you might want a little more processing speed :)

5. TheMadOldCoger thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I would like to say that the answer too the questions that you have asked are both no. I do sometimes need to do it in a time but I have access to a Mac Pro for anything like that. This is more of a personal computer I will need to do editing but this is normally for Uni work and I will have time so the extra seconds won't be a deal breaker for me.

----------

Thank you very much for the answers, it has cleared it up for me and I have decided to go with the 2.2GHz processor as you guys have all said it will do me fine. Hopefully it will last as long as my current Mac Book Pro as its still good just a little slow for the work that I need to do.

Thanks again for the help.

6. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Based on the extra info you just provided, definitely "stick with the 2.2GHz processor" for your new MBP :cool:

Edit: we just crossed posts - you're most welcome :)