2.4ghz Macbook5.1(Late-2008) w/8GB of RAM under Lion 10.7

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kristjansson, Aug 10, 2011.

1. kristjansson macrumors newbie

So, I've read through all of the threads involved the 5.1 MB & support of 8GB of RAM. Everything I've read seems to imply that, with the correct Boot ROM, a functioning MB with 8GB of RAM is a forgone conclusion, but for two things. 1) bad RAM and 2) OS version.

The second point is of concern to me: I upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7, and the next day from 4GB of stock RAM to 8GB of Apple specific Kensington. Upon installing the RAM, I began to notice soft crashes (force quitting all applications kicking me back login screen), the kernel panics. Lion is perfectly stable with the 2GB + 2GB installed. Running with 2GB+4GB also seems to result in a stable OS.

Everything I've read on this forum and others says 8GB works great on 10.6.6, .7 , .8, and *should* work on 10.7. However, as far as i can see, on one has done it, or done it and posted about it.

So, I ask you, does anyone else with a Late 2008 Macbook(5.1) with 8GB installed have 10.7 installed as well? If you do, what's your experience been regarding your RAM performance? Are my problems likely derived from the OS, or did I score some bad RAM from amazon?

Thanks for any help you guys and girls can offer.

2. hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

Here. working perfectly ok with Hynix Rams. 8Gb 1066MHz

yours KVR type (kingston Value Ram)? KVRs are value rams. if you were to get kingston, i think KTA are the ones not KVRs

3. kristjansson thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah, they're KTA sticks. Got it working though, just needed a good PRAM reset and everything was dandy.

4. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Anyway you should at least test the ram one time after installing it. It may avoid you a lot of headaches.

5. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I recommend you use Rember. It's a GUI for memtest